Mining Item ideas!

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Mining Item ideas!

Postby rikaru19 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 am

So I have been playing TGcode for too long and I've been very surprised three items in particular haven't been ported in some form over to this server.

Number one, Mining Satchel of Holding. Oh my GOD we need this. It's basically a portable Ore Box that makes all other mining satchels cry in sheer awe. In TGcode it's made via Science, so obviously with some code tweaks and Bluespace reqs it doesn't sound too hard in theory to pull it off. I personally think coding-wise it'd work with the current code if it was altered so ores stack in a number when looked into with that satchel, or just make it so it works like an ore box and just show what ores are in it on right-click.

Number two, though technically not a mining item but very useful for miners or anyone using modules. Fannypack of Holding. Silly name, I know, but the idea of it is that it's basically a belt-slot backpack that STILL requires science to make. Even with a regular dufflebag or backpack while mining with the industrial module I keep running out of space (I'm an item hoarder, so sue me), and my belt slot tends to go entirely unused most of the time. This item may seem a little powergamey honestly but I like the idea, and on the server (Yogstation) it's from, everyone fucking loves it there.

Finally, three. And I'm shocked we don't have this somehow and we have anti-particle guns. Proto-Kinetic Accelerators. I WOULD LOVE THESE BEING PORTED SOMEHOW. Much more efficient than drills, can be fired at range, and you can even use it to explore in space! Great for belt-miners! Not to mention it makes mobs like geese and carp cry at the infinite ammo and damage it does in low pressure environs.

Now I could go further and just say 'well at this point why not just add the ORM and mining vendor' but y'know, baby steps. Cargonia's already got enough shenanigans, mining just needs to be tossed a bone and I figure the first two items are new things for Science to mess around with. Plus it gives Science a way besides using a Ripley to deal with the ores they accidentally find while Xenoarching.

Thoughts on this, guys?
rikaru19

Re: Mining Item ideas!

Postby Natje » Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 am

I love the first two ideas, a mining satchel of holding would be <3, and the fannypack of holding, or just a belt of holding like in Paradise, would be wonderful. I'm certain there has been discussions on mining satchels of holding before, but not sure if a decision about it was made.

The third idea however, the protokinetic, I've never really liked. While yes, it's great for mining, making the job easier and even more fun, it just kinda outclasses drills and stuff so severely, it makes them unneeded. The fact that they double as a powerful weapon only makes it worse.
Natje

Postby Scree » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I specifically put the particle guns in because I didn't want to put KAs into the game. I was up for giving particle guns a buff though if there were shortcomings.
Scree

Postby rikaru19 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Scree wrote:I specifically put the particle guns in because I didn't want to put KAs into the game. I was up for giving particle guns a buff though if there were shortcomings.

Eh, personally I just would like a variant of them at some point researchable by science that self-charges, then. I had a feeling the KAs weren't liked here, just too used to using 'em over on Citadel.

I DO kinda wish the plasma cutters weren't just basically a wall-cutting drill and actually fired a short-range rock-shredding plasma burst though like on TG at least. Your call on that one too, though.
rikaru19

Postby Scree » Sun May 21, 2017 1:03 am

That'd be pretty neato. I was planning on making some sort of fancy guns with a phoron-breathing fuel cell that would basically be "these bad boys only really work in this atmosphere".
Probably also fluff them as "if these were used in an environment of anything other than really cold phoron they would overheat like a motherfucker, but since we ARE in a really cold environment surrounded by really high heat-capacity gases, let's crank these suckers up to 11"
Scree

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting