The return of old Xenobio

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

The return of old Xenobio

Postby rikaru19 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 am

I'll be honest, I actually liked the old Xenobio area in the previous station and Polaris' Xenobio is a clusterfuck of 'what in the hell do I even do here'. While I do like the fact slimes are now harmless... mostly, it's gotten several levels of complicated to the point that hardly anyone ever does it anymore. It's not fun, it's annoying, and I don't like it.

Can we PLEASE have the old lab back?
rikaru19

Re: The return of old Xenobio

Postby Xennith » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:45 am

It's not just that it's complicated and confusing - the basics of it aren't all that hard to figure out - it's more that the newer version of it that we have is completely broken.

Actually growing the slimes, mutating them, and then harvesting the cores is straightforward enough, but even if you do figure out how to use some of the other equipment in the lab, it doesn't really matter because slimes grown from harvested cores don't seem to grow, ever, and trying to grow additional grey slimes without mutating them fails utterly, because any siblings somehow mutate in the same way as whatever one of them you try and work on.

So currently the whole of what you can do is take the five starting cores, grow them, mutate them, and then see what the chemical lottery gave you.

I personally am not a fan of slime-ranching style xenobiology, on the whole, so I'm perfectly happy to have a system that requires no long-term work, but it would be nice to at least have a codebase for it that isn't unfinished and buggy.
The one and only Dr. Amy Lessen
Xennith

Postby orbisa » Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 am

Well, what are the parts missing? what should be added to complete the system?
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby rikaru19 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 am

orbisa wrote:Well, what are the parts missing? what should be added to complete the system?

It's just immensely buggy and confusing to start out with, and I kinda miss being able to just riskily slime-farm like on the old station.

Speaking of old Xenobio... WHERE'S THAT FOSSIL RECONSTITUTING MACHINE EH? I want that baaaaack.
rikaru19

Postby Watchdog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Currently working in the Xenobio section today, it seems very tedious and not exactly conclusive, either. I think the old slimes would be more fun to engage with, and allow people who want to do Xenobio to have a fun time. The people I've worked with in Xenobio also seem to agree with me on that statement.

EDIT: Also, currently attempting to go through the intended process of growing and mutating slimes is impossible. You can make them, grow them, and get their cores. Upon attempting to mutate them, they mostly die once they hit 3rd gen. And once one of them dies, any slime cores you get from the storage (Even if you make sure to keep the different ones labelled and thus seperated) will die when first created. Then, to fix it, you need to keep putting base slime cores into the machine (usually it takes 5) for one to survive being made, only to repeat the process. Nothing can get done.
Watchdog

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting