Slime species

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Moderator: Game Admins

Re: Slime species

Postby Molenar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:05 am

Arbon wrote:How about make them opperate like slimes, and they loose mass when dying and can fall apart into a degraded puddle, and consume mass (eat nutriment) to heal themselves. Give them a Diona level regeneration and pain tolerance, when starving they constantly take damage at the same level as a Diona in darkness, and when they have at least standard (no hunger bar showing) nutriment they have normal human regeneration, but if fat levels of nutriment they have the regeneration of a diona in light.

That way they'd be immune to ordinary medical treatment and possibly immune to cloning, but you can heal them up from injury by grabbing a pizza or picking out stuff from a vending machine. Pff- or just sacrificing yourself and diving into the slime.

"Okay, digest me just a little bit here. Spit me out when full. Oh! Your injuries are healed up, thats wonderful. You can spit me out now. Ahem ... you aren't injured anymore. You have uh, full mass. Can you let me out please? Hey! HEeey! Waitwait, I have work to do, stop walking away and let me ou-aamphhphblub."

Actually, yeah, I really like that one. I think somewhere earlier there was mention of them degrading into a core as a corpse, so the degrading to a puddle bit seems good. A thought, just for a bit of fluff and flavor on it. Leave a slick spot on the floor, like a water slick effect added to the "blood"
Molenar

Postby Molenar » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Thought it might be worth reviving this thread, I do have sprites for them at this point. Variable color ones unlike the default.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7oqzw1ncl3w3 ... e.dmi?dl=0

if anyone coding wise would like to take a swing at this, i still think it could be cool.
Molenar

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 am

Molenar wrote:Thought it might be worth reviving this thread, I do have sprites for them at this point. Variable color ones unlike the default.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7oqzw1ncl3w3 ... e.dmi?dl=0

if anyone coding wise would like to take a swing at this, i still think it could be cool.

Ooooh you are the one who made the slime male? I noticed the other day while injecting my female slime char (race human) with green extract, it defaults to it even when female. Maybe that's a bug though cause I'm sure the bay code we used as base has female sprites somewhere~

I think the slime species idea is super great. I didn't know this thread existed, and was gonna make one myself. I'd be very interested in working on it. I think a lot of the changes are doable. Point me to the relevant dms and I'll study them. I lack experience with ss13 code, but I'm a programmer myself so I can figure it out in time.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby antsnap2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:37 pm

WARNING WALL OF TEXT. Don't feel obligated to read, I'm mostly restating and expanding.

Ok so I read the entire thread for info and ideas. Very good stuff. I think though, as a base, we should start with what paradise slime people have. Someone else in the thread pointed it out, but namely
Cannot be cloned.
Slime language :F, Bubblish, very difficult to speak if not a slime. Cyan colored
No internal organs of any type, and therefore no damage related to such.
Bleeds water.
Does not need air.

We could just port the slime race from paradise (same license as us, so it's fine), merge it in, and then build-on and modify the race over time.

Biggest thing is resistance to cold. I think orbisa's method is easy to implement and makes sense.
orbisa wrote:my idea for slimes is for them to have each [cold] level very close to each other, sounds like sense?

Some other features people have brought up (note that obviously community decides things, these are just some ideas I'm personally expanding on).

Base anatomy (lore-ish i guess)

I am a huge fan of people individually determining this with their flavor text and whatnot. However, while designing it in code we should have something in mind to base decisions off of. I think there's a consensus to have a slime core as sorta the central control of the slime: its main cognitive center. The slime's body is primarily water based and fluid/semi-fluid/semi-solid depending on the situation. The slime person's body is controlled by electrical signals originating from the core and radiating throughout the body, reaching every slime 'cell' and given it instructions for movement and level of viscosity.

The slime person is thus in complete control of their body: choosing to shape it like a human as a form of mimicry to fit in. Slime people, when threatened, can radiate electricity to shock attackers, but only mildly so without losing stability. Aside from any thing they choose to morph themselves, they have no external features (anything resembling genitalia, nails, nipples etc.). Their mimicry of humans is in eyes, mouth, and general shape. I guess hair globs and tendrils too.

Slime core as brain

I think slime people from paradise have it (the wiki is old) so this will be implemented easily at the start-I think.

Clone/reviving

Someone had the great idea that injecting the core with phoron revive the slime person. That's genius and I think we should do it. No cloning.

Special attack

Slimes (distinct from slime people) do clone damage. That would be OP and super annoying for medbay. However, slimes are doing electrical things all the time (shift click one in xenobio). I think that they overall do less damage than humans, but you divide their attack into a mixture of brute/burn. The brute will be fairly minimal (cause slimes are mostly water), and the burn is an 'electrical burn' but from a code standpoint indistinguishable from normal burns. We can figure out numbers later.

Food

Slime people have a higher metabolism than other species. Not high enough to be annoying though.

Breathing

I'm 50/50 on this. I like to think of them as oxygenated, drawing oxygen from the environment for metabolic purposes but I'm not super attached. Not needing to breath also makes sense.

Customizing

Ideally we get goo color options for slime people, as well as hairstyles. I like the idea of bleeding the same color of blood as your goo, but bleeding pure water also makes sense. Some slime specific options like suu's hair globs would be cute. Not sure if multicolored hair works though. We could maybe make the second color depend on the first color selection with an equation s.t. yellow gets green and vice versa.

Damages

Because they are mostly liquid, they can selectively thicken and thin the viscosity of an area attacked, so I feel as though they should get a slight decrease in brute damage. On the other hand, I feel as though they should be more susceptible to changes in temperature disrupting their metabolic processes, so taking more burn damage is fine for me.

I also think they should be able to shrug off pain like Diona, since, being in complete control of their body, they can choose not to constantly feel it.

I'll do special abilities next.
Last edited by antsnap2 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby antsnap2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Special abilities

I was thinking some minor things that make sense with anatomy and concepts, and some things to balance out weaknesses. I like the idea of using hunger as a means of balancing, acting as a limiter (cant do special things too often or else you become hungry and move slower).

As usual community rules progress, and these are just ideas I'm expanding on or repeating.

Unique vore and stomp texts

A barefoot slime person who steps on a micro with grab, should have text reflecting pulling the person into their body through their foot, rather than holding them between their toes.

For vore maybe have engulfment and absorption in place of gulping and digesting, but only optionally for the player! If they want to materialize orifices to make certain vore types make sense, then so be it.

Clean feet

A toggleable. A barefoot slime and clean tiles they walk over at a small hunger cost (per tile for ease, but per second can also work). Think Janibot.

Slip free

Slime people cannot slip when barefoot. Maybe make an exception for space lube. This makes sense (their feet would just selectively push aside the slippery puddle, or absorb it), and isn't too much of a balance thing.

Water dispenser

A slime person can right click hydro trays and plots to give them say X u of water at the cost of hunger. I think this is pretty cute and very convenient.

Portable laundry machine

A little spell-eqsue ability. The slime person, via a special hug, cleans the clothes on a person. Costs hunger.

Puddle/shapeless form

Can become a puddle (with a :3 on it for cuteness). Costs no hunger to maintain or toggle, but you drop all your items and expel whatever prey inside you when changing to it. You can slide under people and objects in this form and, if toggling back underneath, you will form around them, nomming them :3

Primitive form

A big maybe, as it's probably hard to code. Can turn into a xenobio slime (with a larger sprite size maybe). No hunger cost back and forth. Drop all your items but ideally don't expel prey. This would be really cute but would be a huge reach and I'm not sure if it'd be wanted too much.

Slime pride station wide

Xenobio slimes won't attack you. This is pretty much an agreed upon benefit

Ventcrawling

Very controversial. There are good arguments on both side. I'm in favor of allowing vent crawling, but only in puddle/primitive form. i have several reasons.

But paradise had to remove it
Paradise is still primarily a gamemode server, we are an ERP server with the most frequent gamemode. I don't know why it was removed but it's easy to make reasonable guesses. If a slime person was a traitor=ez captain ID and ez security evading. We don't have that issue, unless it's a special event, in which case admins would tell any slime traitor to go easy with the vent crawling.

Can be abused
Yes, if someone is using it to grief, though, I feel as though they should just be bwoinked. Keep in mind that abusing ventcrawling wouldn't be exclusive to slime people: as Arbon pointed out, as a geneticist you can quickly monkey yourself, go to captain's, get the id, use it to get into back into your lab and enjoy full access.

Doesn't make sense with prey inside
So I like to think the vent sprites are smaller than they are ICly. The reason is: xenomorphs can go through them. However, not all xenomorphs (I think drones/sentinels cant, only hunters). So how does ventcrawl ability work? Well, I think they the vents are in theory big enough for humans to crawl through, but it's such an ordeal for humans (long distance, tight space) that it is effectively not doable for them. I imagine xenomorphs can, because they are more agile and flexible than humans. Aside from slimes, every currently ventcrawling creature needs to lift the vent cover to get in. This follows from the fact that if the little holes in the grated cover are big enough for xenomorphs to go through, then they are big enough for people's feet to get stuck upon (and in terms of air flow very weird).

Slimes would ventcrawl differently, just becoming more fluid and zipping through. However, a slime with solid matter inside could still ventcrawl, by shaping itself and zipping through, suspending the solid matter in the middle of its rectangular form (vents are rectangular like in movies right).

So logically it makes sense, code wise it isn't too hard, but in terms of whether the community and admins would actually want it, it's difficult to decide. I know a lot of people are irked by special access and stuff.

Special limitations

I also had a few more ideas that would balance out special abilities. If we are implementing vent crawling, I think these would dissuade some from picking slime people just for ease of travel.

Clothing

Just like Suu in My monster waifu harem, or whatever the show, wearing non water resistant clothing is highly impracticable, as the clothes quickly become soggy.

So, aside from hats (:3), galoshes, and swimsuits: bar slime people from clothing. We could maybe make a raincoat and other rubber clothes for slime people fashion. I also want to make a slime-backpack, which would just be a blob on the floor and invisible on the person, acting a place to keep things (for the purpose of rping storing things inside their body).

Job limitations

Bar them from head roles. I think Suu in the show isn't the brightest clam in the bucket. Maybe the lore is slime people as a whole aren't the smartest, and thus can't hold head positions.
antsnap2

Postby antsnap2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Almost ready for beta. Just need to figure out how to add hair styles.

Paradise's slime sprites look really ugly atm but we can fix that later.

EDIT: Fixed the sprites now. They are still a bit ugly but got rid of extraneous features (blush points on face, nipples, genitalia).

Hair and facial hair are always working. Everything seems to be working! I'll post details under coding (with pics :3)
antsnap2

Previous

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting