[Suggestion] Rework Psych's Access

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

[Suggestion] Rework Psych's Access

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:27 am

As it is right now, every job in Medical can access every room in Medical, with the exception of the CMO's Office. This is because, as everyone probably knows, it's somewhat rare to have a fully staffed department and it's even rarer to have a department where everybody does their IC job before running off to go scene.

However, when it comes to Psychiatrists/Psychologists, they're unable to access Chemistry, Virology, and the OR's, apparently this is intentional, but I'm of the opinion that there's no solid argument for it. Right now, if there's only a psychiatrist active in Medbay and you need to be cloned, and your cloned character ends up blind, deaf, or otherwise requiring Ryetalyn, GG. Hope you like not being able to see, because there's nothing you can really do other than break into Chemistry.

Same is said for surgery. If only the psych is active, you're essentially screwed. And you can't exactly say this kind of thing doesn't happen, because it DOES happen, and it happens more often than you'd think! Last night? There was a round where it was just the CMO (Me) and the Psychiatrist in Medical. Now, if I hadn't been online? There would've been a few problems with cloned patients, because the chems would never had been made and the Psych's can't get it. Thus, fucking any cloned people REALLY hard.

"But Tempest, it doesn't make much sense for a Psych to know Chemistry or Surgery!"

This is Virgo. It doesn't make sense that HoS Do-It-All magically knows how to set up the engine, complete Research, stock the bar and resume their duties as Security. But it's accepted.
It doesn't make much IC sense for a Chemist to know how to perform brain surgery. It doesn't make IC sense for a Surgeon to know how to stock Chemistry. It doesn't make IC sense for a Paramedic to know how to do surgery either, in fact, there was an IC incident in which a Captain performing a surgery (while there was Medical active) was defended, because Central believed that the paramedic shouldn't be doing surgery in the first place!... And yet they have access to surgery, too.

But, ALL of that shit is perfectly acceptable on this station for OOC reasons. Departments aren't always well-staffed, so the people that ARE online need to be somewhat of a swiss-army-knife for their department. If that Chemist doesn't do surgery, then someone's round might get fucked over because there's nobody else to do it. If the paramedic doesn't step up to the plate during a virus event, there goes the station, pray the final symptom isn't Gibbingtons. If the Psychiatrist doesn't go to Chemistry and make ryetalyn for that cloned guy, sucks to suck, and it ALSO sucks to be blind, hopefully they get used to it.

Also, given that Psychiatrists are ALSO MEDICAL DOCTORS, they need a DOCTORAL DEGREE, they need to take courses in biology, CHEMISTRY, physics and math, and other required courses for Med school requirements... Given this, I'd suggest extending their access to the full-range of Medbay.

So! Thoughts, questions, comments and concerns?
Wickedtemp

Re: [Suggestion] Rework Psych's Access

Postby Nuncat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Personally I think it'd make plenty of sense for the Psychiatrist (and Psycholigist) to have chem access. IRL Psychiatrists are psychologists that can prescribe medication, which means they have to have a working knowledge of medicines. While that doesn't equate to them knowing how to make medicine SS13 is a game (one based off entirely fictional lore) it could very easily be expected that Psych's have chemistry knowledge. It isn't far fetched in the slightest.
And to back the other places they should have access to; Virgo has 'lax' hiring standards.
*Cheerful Chiming!* [Piety intensifies!]
Nuncat

Re: [Suggestion] Rework Psych's Access

Postby crystaltyrant » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:55 am

I also think think chem access at least would make sense. Most injuries on station can be fixed with the kits provided sure, but sometimes you need thst peridaxon for the guy who gave himself increadingly bad liver damage on a slow shift. Also as was brought up, psychs do need to write prescriptions and I feel it would be reaonable that they would have access to chem just to 'try' making them as NT does hire people and assign them posts haphazadly at times. Surgery is another matter as most real life physicians, psychs or not, have to at least practice certain procedures on cadavers donated for thst purpose. It stands to reason that NT might expect any 'doctor' they hire to be able to perform such duties as well. As for Viro... That is highly specialized work and I'm not fully certain any psych would be properly trained for it normally. That being said, the incredibly sick do often want to talk with counsellors or shrinks to help them feel better or at least rid them of despair over their condition, so perhaps giving them access to there under that excuse would be plausible. Just my take on things. I've played lone shrink before, and it is a pain to treat people at times without getting shocked from hacking doors or outright changing jobs. So there is my two cents on the matter, hope it at least helps in some way :)
crystaltyrant

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting