Random Events (We need new ones.)

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Random Events (We need new ones.)

Postby Aces » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:39 pm

I need some ideas for random events to occur aboard the station, ranging from silly to serious, benign to severe, and common to anomalous.

I need ideas though!

• No disruptive events. Exploding things or things that can spread out of control are bad.
  • No events that cannot be fixed by the crew, or don't go away after an allotted time.
  • No events that force teleporting, especially into space.
  • It has to work without players on the event-side of things. So, NPCs if it involves mobs.

Accepted ideas:
Space Ship Crash
[+]
The station is warned of an approaching vessel not responding to communications on a collision course with the station. Crew is advised to evacuate to the center of the station five minutes before impact. When impact occurs, a random landmark is chosen which first triggers a big explosion, followed by spawning in a broken spaceship and random loot, and possibly mobs. The code will involve spawning in turfs.
Aces

Re: Random Events (We need new ones.)

Postby Serkii » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:41 pm

A traveling space circus comes to the station and some of their animals are hungry! Maybe just use it as an excuse to test out voremobs-without breaking prefs of course.
Serkii

Postby Westfire » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:45 pm

A travelling rock band paid by NT to perform on the station?
Westfire

Postby Aces » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:47 pm

I should clarify it should be events that spawn without player involvement.

Both of those require players to roleplay the event mobs. I'm not asking for admin events.
Aces

Postby DrunkArcher » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Redspace anomalies on station.
DrunkArcher

Postby Aces » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:03 pm

DrunkArcher wrote:Redspace anomalies on station.

Elaborate.
Aces

Postby Scree » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:11 pm

Pop FATMOUSE out of a random vent. Literally just a mouse with runtime's vore behaviour and no size limit on prey.

Jam the elevators for a short time. Fix itself after a few minutes.

Unauthorised teleport lock detected - command report style message to announce that a pirate vessel has gained a teleporter lock on the station in [LOCATION], followed by spawning a few pirate mobs. Maybe lock certain commonly-used areas out of the list of places where they might spawn, or have it simply never choose an area that has another mob in it. Something for Security to do on otherwise quiet shifts, followed by something for Engineering to do when security inevitably smash all the fucking windows and scorch the walls dealing with them.

A severe/anomalous one would be something like the Carrington Event I ran on the old station, but that was more a combination of command reports followed by hitting them with an ion storm, radiation storm, and lighting a few small, scattered fires. Certainly not one the crew should have to deal with on a daily, or even weekly basis :p
Scree

Postby Aces » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Scree wrote:Pop FATMOUSE out of a random vent. Literally just a mouse with runtime's vore behaviour and no size limit on prey.

omfg yes. Sprite a fat mouse and I'll make it so. I know this meme. It needs to be here.

Scree wrote:Jam the elevators for a short time. Fix itself after a few minutes.

Would this disable elevator shuttles?

Scree wrote:Unauthorised teleport lock detected - command report style message to announce that a pirate vessel has gained a teleporter lock on the station in [LOCATION], followed by spawning a few pirate mobs. Maybe lock certain commonly-used areas out of the list of places where they might spawn, or have it simply never choose an area that has another mob in it. Something for Security to do on otherwise quiet shifts, followed by something for Engineering to do when security inevitably smash all the fucking windows and scorch the walls dealing with them.

I like this idea.

Scree wrote:A severe/anomalous one would be something like the Carrington Event I ran on the old station, but that was more a combination of command reports followed by hitting them with an ion storm, radiation storm, and lighting a few small, scattered fires. Certainly not one the crew should have to deal with on a daily, or even weekly basis :p

That just sounds like a combination of existing events. :P
Aces

Postby Arbon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 pm

A supply shuttle passing by has randomly exploded, and now debris from the shuttle crashes (gently) into a part of either the station or the asteroid. Among the debris are random useful things such as raw smelted materials (diamonds, iron, gold, things one gets from mining) and random tools (drill, bluespace tech, harmless illegal tech) that the players can either suit up and go on a spacewalk to try and find. Or they can ignore it, and just leave the debris floating wherever it ended up.

Combine this Easter egg hunt with space mobs like carp or spiders and it goes from spacewalk experience to deadly combat. Combine this with admin/player involvement and it goes from a routine pick-up and collection to a race against some antagonist trying to take the supplies first.
Arbon

Postby Serkii » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:45 am

Hmm removing the circus part from my idea then and leaving the animals. A shipment due for the circus ends up in cryo and a bunch of random voremobs spawn there maybe?
Serkii

Next

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting