Predcrate

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: Predcrate

Postby RomanaTColgate » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Netjak wrote:I too find this a little much, though, that might be because I got tired of using mechanics in RP/ play on the citadel station for that. Besides, it would be kind of weird if you always could get the same contraband from cargo, maybe have the offers vary from shift to shift?

I don't know how the coding for that would work myself, what comes to mind is an admin having to patch the code every round, and that sounds like a mess.
RomanaTColgate

Postby Aces » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:36 pm

I like to supplement RP with mechanics. You still have to RP it but it makes it a lot easier to justify if you can back it up with in game gear.

Also we'd get mad at RD if they gave out thermals. We'd get mad at Chemistry if they gave out neuro. I'll probably nix the thermals anyway or make it a really slim chance to obtain.

Regardless this is why I'm bouncing ideas instead of just adding them.

Netjak wrote:Besides, it would be kind of weird if you always could get the same contraband from cargo, maybe have the offers vary from shift to shift?

Also it'd be one crate with a random chance to get one of several packs from it. You have to hack the cargo computer to get any of them though.

I want to provide vore capabilities for every job slot that we can stick on the wiki in place of the Traitor section.
Aces

Postby RomanaTColgate » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Aces wrote:I like to supplement RP with mechanics. You still have to RP it but it makes it a lot easier to justify if you can back it up with in game gear.

Also we'd get mad at RD if they gave out thermals. We'd get mad at Chemistry if they gave out neuro. I'll probably nix the thermals anyway or make it a really slim chance to obtain.

Regardless this is why I'm bouncing ideas instead of just adding them.

Netjak wrote:Besides, it would be kind of weird if you always could get the same contraband from cargo, maybe have the offers vary from shift to shift?

Also it'd be one crate with a random chance to get one of several packs from it. You have to hack the cargo computer to get any of them though.

My problem is those suggestions lessen the impact of other departments, I would question then "Why should I pred science or medical when I can just pred cargo and get everything I want easily?" It discourages cooperation between various departments and stagnates department diversity, which, especially on slow shifts, is near non existent. I'm all for giving preds access to more ways to pred, but making it require cooperation with other departments to pull off sounds like the better way to try and implement it in my opinion.
RomanaTColgate

Postby Netjak » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Cool, then I don't have any complains! A chance for a handheld teleporter would be nifty as well, if a bit abuseable. And on that note, you should totally be able to swallow a teleporter beacon and fool people into warping into your gut :)
Netjak

Postby RomanaTColgate » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Netjak wrote:Cool, then I don't have any complains! A chance for a handheld teleporter would be nifty as well, if a bit abuseable. And on that note, you should totally be able to swallow a teleporter beacon and fool people into warping into your gut :)

Best. Pred. CE. Ever.
RomanaTColgate

Postby Arbon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:58 pm

My take on this as someone who plays security, in a mechanical system where any criminal at any time can pretty much effortlessly snatch me off the ground in a single click, in which there is one, ONE!!! way to prevent this that Ace claimed was a bug and worked to remove because a half chance at preventing one of the two auto-loose scenario in a mechanical fight was too overpowered … it’s just not a problem. No one ever abuses this even when I explicitly mention that people are allowed to robust me in the flavor text. The only person who’s actually really tried to get robust while I was typing out posts and waiting for an in-character response was Rosharkie during an unannounced event that I happened to stumble onto while setting up. The only person. Ever. In my entire time playing, the vast majority of which I’ve been either detective or HoS.

Giving players access to more options for initiating vore scenes mechanically, especially if those mechanics support the roleplay, is a good thing. Any potential abuse might be a concern at some point, but given my experience with existing methods of potential abuse its just not something to worry about. The people who would, also go abusive in other ways, and end up banned for it or smacked down. And the people who don’t would use para-pens and cloaking devices maturely.

Two things to point out, any illegal tech that cargo is capable of ordering would go to powering science, given any scientist could hack into cargo, order a few illegal crates, and then start deconstructing. If such devices are common enough to use reliably, and thus worth ordering, then science will have a much greater advantage in the number of useful things they can hand out. And This can likewise affect away missions and testing, if say someone wants to see what happens when you para-pen a xenomorph or see how NPC mobs handle cloaking devices. Likewise the counters security has for dealing with things should be balanced accordingly.

… and I do mean balanced. Because we don’t want security to always catch any criminal no matter what they do, especially for a vore scene, at the same time we don’t want security being completely useless because any sneakypred has ways around all of security’s tricks. Biggest thing, if security doesn’t prevent a scene from happening because they didn’t get x-ray and thermals and then rush around scanning the asteroid and maintinence, DO NOT MOCK THEM FOR FAILURE. Because it isn’t really failure if the pred and the prey get to have their scene together. Don’t go pushing to make security more encouraged to scene-stomp. Which again isn’t really an issue at the moment, but something to keep in mind if or when we have a number of sneakypreds.

Having cool toys ready for use in-game is not a bad thing, and people actually getting to use the toys instead of just sitting there being useless in the code isn’t really a thing that should be punished. On that same token, making it so that ONLY cargo ever has these options, and ONLY cargo can distribute them, makes the fact cargo is already powerful enough to be every other job at once that much more pronounced. No idea how you’d handle this beyond putting some toys into vending machines and making buying stuff from a vending machine more common, but cargo getting more of a monopoly than it already has just seems strange.

Onto the actual suggestions, multiple different options for crates seems better than one standard “Predator” kit, split them up into multiple different packs.

Para-pens
Cloaking rigs
^ I don’t know if Para-pens show an announcement to everyone around if you stab someone with them, because if so then they aren’t quite a sneaky weapon on the level of the CMO’s auto-injector, which you can use to walk up to someone and prick them in the middle of a bar. But if they aren’t sneaky then it is at least still a weapon and a viable paralytic, giving more players options for such than just chemistry with their needles and cups. I like the idea of them being something to worry about, and making preds who go after an unwilling victim more liable to snatch and run away, then to just stand in the center of the hallway gulping people down. On cloaking rigs, we really need to decide what the balance for them should be before they become more standard. Thus far only mature players (that I’ve seen) who got lucky at cargo really use them, and then Admins who appear with some unknown character trying to be a ninja and show off how they have extra perks. To include dancing around security and boasting that we can’t catch them.

That huge argument between what can and what can’t detect a cloaking device will pop up again, between Scree and nightwing whom I know want to make it so that only Thermals and maybe the T-scanner tool can ping an invisible person, and the current balance where any medical or security can spot someone by noticing the tiny little HuD that pops up over the person’s head. If cloaking devices are an issue I don’t see why security would deliberately take away that capacity from their Sec-huds, and it gives the invisible person a very good reason to avoid going near security and to run when sec shows up in the room. But the other options means any single greifer with a cloaking rig, or really /any/ player at all, can just make themselves invincible because the only option to catch them is either rare or difficult. Fine regardless, but its an argument you’ll have to sort through.

Wolf pack kit:
^ I don’t see how this idea would help catching prey. Coordinating sure, but that seems more like a private chat feature that can’t be spied on than something to help with scenes. You’d have less people working together, and more people banding into small Niches, or the occasional annoyance that uses this to spy on people like they would with the communications hug. Then again … its not like other people couldn’t just take the syndicate chips or headsets and then use these to spy on the syndicate during events, or as a means to know more of whats going on. It’s a boost in power, but a boost to anyone who can hack cargo. Over-all I’d say its worth it and a viable feature, but it won’t have much to do with vore and roleplay.

Diamondback kit: Auto-injectors, suspicious looking thermals.
^ I rather like this option, mostly because … again its things people could actually use. Throw in muzzles and cable cuffs so that you have something to actually restrain a victim with while they are paralyzed. I forget, does paralyzation prevent the player from HEARING posts as well as making them? As in knock them unconscious? If so, for how long? You want it to be long enough to run away and restrain and maybe post in LOOC, but not long enough that you have to have a boring wait for the victim to hear posts again. No idea what the proper amount is. But Muzzles man. We need more of them available. I can imagine this being a good thing as some extra option to get thermals from in an emergency when we don’t have science and mining, which is often, and I can see this being a boon to science given you can deconstruct the things for more tech levels. Worth it. Please implement this.

Giantess starter kit:
^ Add in shrink mushrooms, so you can apply that to your victims if you don’t want to stomp around as an actual giantess. The advantage here mechanically is that we’d have one more IC option to turn to for size changing if there isn’t a captain, RD and mining, or a hydrophonics who knows how to hack. Worth it over-all, a bit silly, and could probably be the backstory for people who just start out that way from arrivals.

____

On an off-topic semi-rant, if you want there to be sneakier preds, then the biggest thing is you need some way for the pred and prey to roleplay out posts together without other people right next to them being aware. If a prey whispers from inside the stomach, the predator cannot hear it, which has screwed over a number of scenes. Right now the solution is to turn off your PDA’s messenger ringtone and then send PDA messeges back and forth, and just hope there isn’t an AI and that RD doesn’t look at the messeges and assume these roleplay posts were /actually/ typed into a PDA.

But some option, some toggle, to make it where anything a prey posts is only heard by someone in the predator’s square. And make it so the pred and prey both have to have this option toggled on, or just make it prey-side only. While I’d personally prefer muffleing the prey to be a predator only option so they have control of how well hidden the prey is, and allow them to still be walking around and talking to people and doing their job even while simultaneously roleplaying, I’ve heard a /lot/ of backlash for that. As it can put people into a ‘no fun corner’ of no one responding.

Minor notes: If a someone is inside the body part of a person 2 sizes (or more) larger than them, they shouldn’t show up as a bulge or a wriggly movement. That’s just silly.

Blindfolds: While they are nice thematically and in theory, especially as a way to make it so prey can’t see out of the stomach and just announce their location, if you have a blindfold on you cannot hear emotes. Which is exceptionally annoying and makes them useless for roleplaying purposes. If this were fixed I’d have suggested putting blindfolds into one of these options, but as it stands there isn’t any point.
Arbon

Postby Arbon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:04 pm

[quote="RomanaTColgate" I'm all for giving preds access to more ways to pred, but making it require cooperation with other departments to pull off sounds like the better way to try and implement it in my opinion.[/quote]

While cooperation is nice in theory, if the goal is to enable /sneaky/ preds getting around doing their things to snatch unwilling prey without being noticed, then forcing them to announce or hint at their goals while leaving a clear evidence trail AND dragging some other random person who might be OOCly disgusted with the idea of unwilling vore into aiding you ... that has more options for pref-breaking, and worse forcing someone into a pref-breaking scenario because they happened to have the right job at the right time and were the only person to go to. Which can end up in the predator just being too discouraged to try, which is what we have lately. Its the same reason orgys are nice in theory, but in practice everything is limited to the preferences of the least open-minded person in whatever group.
Arbon

Postby Aces » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 pm

RomanaTColgate wrote:My problem is those suggestions lessen the impact of other departments, I would question then "Why should I pred science or medical when I can just pred cargo and get everything I want easily?" It discourages cooperation between various departments and stagnates department diversity, which, especially on slow shifts, is near non existent. I'm all for giving preds access to more ways to pred, but making it require cooperation with other departments to pull off sounds like the better way to try and implement it in my opinion.

Now that is a good point. Hmmm. I'll have to think of something for it.

I am still gonna add or repurpose Syndie goodies however. Chemist can't make Neurotoxin without the cafe's aid after all, so it's hard to do it covertly, and none of them get parapens anyway.

So, wolf pack idea, I'm keeping. That one is meant for multiple preds working together.

Parapens, I'm keeping, but don't know which box I'm going to stick them in.

Neurotoxin I want to use in a less subtle form but in exchange make it ranged, such as an extra dart gun and needles.
Aces

Postby warbrand2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:31 pm

could put in a "toy" crate which contains foam dart guns, and make it so they cna be modified with wires making them standard dart guns... then you just have to make the darts.

(think nerf one shot foam dart guns... hmmm what is the pixel x pixel for things, I can make some sprites.)

EDIT ok working with out a template is annoying

Image here is a base image.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Postby Scree » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:59 am

Cargo can already make neurotoxin with no help whatsoever from other departments. Not in large quantities, mind, but plenty enough to catch a meal.

Cloaking devices need balancing in a way that gives them a hard counter if people are looking for them. As it is, they're kinda useless.
Arbon wrote:I don’t see why security would deliberately take away that capacity from their Sec-huds

I think you're missing the point that sec/med huds showing them up is an interface glitch in the first place. It's one we've not done anything about yet, and there's nothing to suggest an improved cloaker couldn't hit the market with the ability to defeat standard huds.
Essentially, the few people who have showed up as ninjas or with cloakers have been pretty sick of the autocockblockergoggles that half the crew are wearing by default.
/tg/ station have been having a discussion about making them visible to people standing directly adjacent to them, which would be a far better way to encourage sneakiness.
Edit: another possible limitation would be to have them only last a set time without needing to spend some time inactive to recharge, with any actions taken while cloaked depleting a chunk off that charge. Make the limitations an inherent thing of the cloaker itself, rather than some accidental thing that's up in the air whether it should work at all. Hell, THAT way would make the chameleon projector an actually viable alternative rather than the cloaking device simply being better. You want to vanish when someone's following you? You want a cloak. Hide in plain sight for an extended time? Be a box.
(incidentally, the default for cham projectors should totally be a box. Preferably with "THE ORANGE" written on the side)

Syndicate keys - I'd be wary 'cause as default they can also spy on every channel. So obviously contraband as hell.

The main thing I'd be wary of is the possibility of cargo flooding the station with contraband/syndicate goodies every shift and being the only department to be able to do so.
Scree

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting