Prometheans can't be heads. Cease this racism! /s

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: Prometheans can't be heads. Cease this racism! /s

Postby Vorrarkul » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 am

The 'icly promoted' phenomenon is generally a field promotion for one reason or another. In Rylee's case, it was the captain putting in a good word with CentCom to allow Rylee to be promoted to Head of Security.
I honestly don't remember Lucina's rise to CMO as clearly, but I believe it happened in a similar manner when the CMO slot opened up one shift and she got the Captain to approve her promotion- for her demonstrated skills in medicine.
Rylee has long since stepped down as HoS due to the stress of being in a head role getting to her, but Lucina, despite her temperament, remains in her role. If she proves herself to be unfit for the non-technical aspects of her job, I will not protest to a demotion just as IC as the promotion she originally gained.

Honestly, I think all head characters should be promoted icly; they would have to actually demonstrate their skill with the department and have positive relations with at the very least the other heads. This is actually far more rigorous a screening than taking the time offscreen to 'go to med school'.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Scree » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 am

I actually had someone questioning why Scree was able to operate a Ripley once. He was quartermaster. And had been getting instruction from Ace and Greyson on how to operate them months beforehand. And records mentioning that he's got a class 3 loader licence.

Go figure.
Scree

Postby Tasald » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:11 pm

I do agree that people should not just promote them selfs into a head of staff position, how ever the only positions that "showing compitance" should mater atleast as the number one part, is sec, hop, and captian. Those roles are the ones that you can't just read the wiki and do, no offense to the other heads, but the majority of their job is litraly put down in step by step instructions.
Tasald

Postby rikaru19 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Tasald wrote:I do agree that people should not just promote them selfs into a head of staff position, how ever the only positions that "showing compitance" should mater atleast as the number one part, is sec, hop, and captian. Those roles are the ones that you can't just read the wiki and do, no offense to the other heads, but the majority of their job is litraly put down in step by step instructions.

I did initially goof up like this myself, but Reika did prove that she did have at least some of what it takes to be a captain or at least RD. Seriously she went through a cow's digestive system for science in IC, and handled, with help of a skilled HoS, a very serious intrusion on station. Her only faults are her not taking daily activities too seriously unless shit hits the fan, and issues sometimes asserting the authority she does have. Of course since then she's had to stay away from head roles for health reasons for now, but she just needs more training and she's perfect for at least RD. Captain might be a bit much but she could pull that off too. I admit the captain part was a joke one round, but it stuck when she started doing good despite the inexperience.

But I digress, you guys have a point in the age lock and it is a bit racist towards a certain species, but I just think anyone could excel at a head role given the right training and experience, regardless of age. That's my stance on it. And both Rylee and Reika have proven this so far. Rylee with an IC promotion, and Reika with an initial joke that actually turned out much better than expected.

Note that I don't condone a teenage captain or something too ridiculous, that's just pushing it.
rikaru19

Postby Aces » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 pm

This just sounds like a bug. Should probably report on Github that prometheans are agecapped.
Aces

Postby Molenar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:50 pm

The age cap has now been removed from promethians.
Molenar

Postby antsnap2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Many servers have the "X race can't be head" thing due to space racism and whatever. I'm impartial myself since, it doesn't add that much depth but, as long as they have no age floor, then sure go nuts. (no age-floor so you can RP being a monster-woman fresh from a petri dish)
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby ChirpGoesTheBird » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:31 am

rikaru19 wrote:
Tasald wrote:I do agree that people should not just promote them selfs into a head of staff position, how ever the only positions that "showing compitance" should mater atleast as the number one part, is sec, hop, and captian. Those roles are the ones that you can't just read the wiki and do, no offense to the other heads, but the majority of their job is litraly put down in step by step instructions.

I did initially goof up like this myself, but Reika did prove that she did have at least some of what it takes to be a captain or at least RD. Seriously she went through a cow's digestive system for science in IC, and handled, with help of a skilled HoS, a very serious intrusion on station. Her only faults are her not taking daily activities too seriously unless shit hits the fan, and issues sometimes asserting the authority she does have. Of course since then she's had to stay away from head roles for health reasons for now, but she just needs more training and she's perfect for at least RD. Captain might be a bit much but she could pull that off too. I admit the captain part was a joke one round, but it stuck when she started doing good despite the inexperience.

But I digress, you guys have a point in the age lock and it is a bit racist towards a certain species, but I just think anyone could excel at a head role given the right training and experience, regardless of age. That's my stance on it. And both Rylee and Reika have proven this so far. Rylee with an IC promotion, and Reika with an initial joke that actually turned out much better than expected.

Note that I don't condone a teenage captain or something too ridiculous, that's just pushing it.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain. Just because in a real-world company, they would NEVER let somebody under the age of 30 or even 40 be Chief Surgeon, or a 24 year old be Foreman, or a 28 year old be in charge of their entire weapon inventory. It would not happen. They could have been trained from the time they were born to do so, but without experience AND age, a real-world corporation wouldn't put somebody that young that high up.

Albiet, the real world doesn't seem to have much interaction with our server.
The second most chirpiest around.
ChirpGoesTheBird

Postby Aces » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:37 am

Thread locked because the issue described by OP has been resolved. We're getting derailed now. Open a new thread for age caps in general if you want to protest it.
Aces

Previous

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting