New RP item for science. Hypnogoggles!

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

New RP item for science. Hypnogoggles!

Postby Grant4455 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Just as a little token for science, gotten with biology and maybe illegal tech, acting something like a slave implant to make the wearer very vulnerable to suggestion. You could reuse the science goggle sprite, and throw a huge bone to hypnofetishests. Just a suggestion.
Grant4455

Re: New RP item for science. Hypnogoggles!

Postby Aces » Tue May 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Would definitely be illegal tech but could be interesting.
Aces

Postby Grant4455 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Aces wrote:Would definitely be illegal tech but could be interesting.

It wouldn't be hard to copy the cortical borer flavour text for having them used on you, either. Alien presence and all that. If you'd like I could draw up a full proposal of functionality, just a few points to make coding it a little easier.
Grant4455

Postby Scree » Wed May 04, 2016 4:45 am

Hypno stuff is usually one of those things that's left for people to RP out "if it works on the victim".

That is to say, we know there are folks out there that have it as a kink, even one related to vore (inb4 Kaa singing "trust in me") but MC-style RP is also one of those things that has big ol' red flags attached.
The Camarilla UK GMs literally used to watch specifically the way people used abilities like Sovereign, Dominate and so on as a means of detecting possible drama further down the line (same as we on station watch people who immediately jump into head slots as soon as the age lock clears).

tl;dr it's a totally fine thing to have, but be aware that it's still definitely not a greenlight to use it to push RP on people who aren't up for it. Hypnofetishists (just like macros, dragons, and indeed vores) have had a lot of trouble with "that guy" giving 'em a rep.
Scree

Postby Grant4455 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:56 am

Scree wrote:Hypno stuff is usually one of those things that's left for people to RP out "if it works on the victim".

That is to say, we know there are folks out there that have it as a kink, even one related to vore (inb4 Kaa singing "trust in me") but MC-style RP is also one of those things that has big ol' red flags attached.
The Camarilla UK GMs literally used to watch specifically the way people used abilities like Sovereign, Dominate and so on as a means of detecting possible drama further down the line (same as we on station watch people who immediately jump into head slots as soon as the age lock clears).

tl;dr it's a totally fine thing to have, but be aware that it's still definitely not a greenlight to use it to push RP on people who aren't up for it. Hypnofetishists (just like macros, dragons, and indeed vores) have had a lot of trouble with "that guy" giving 'em a rep.

I think that's an entirely fair point, and I think I understand it reasonably well.

So long as people had an OOC out though, do you think that would dodge some of the potential misuse? I mean it could be as simple as a prompt when the goggles go on to 'submit' or 'resist', or simply leave the actual effect entirely in the hands of the player on the receiving end, letting them simply reject it if it's not territory they feel like treading as you suggested.

I'm open to suggestions obviously.

Also, god, I have edited this like, 6 times, and cannot for the life of me be satisfied with it. I should not post this early in the morning.
Grant4455

Postby Wickedtemp » Wed May 04, 2016 12:48 pm

I think this is something left up to RP only. Hypnotism is kind of a god-ish thing (in my own personal opinion), right up there with "My scales can repel bullets, I'm indestructible!" and "I have a super special immune system that makes me resistant to toxins." and also "I have telepathy, watch as I use it on you!"

I'd personally prefer if it STAYS as RP. But if enough people want this, I could get behind it.
Wickedtemp

Postby Scree » Wed May 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Hypno-rp has a rep for being godmodey 'cause of some of the kinds of people who get into it. See also: really bad doms.

Horror stories abound of people in kinky chatrooms literally walking up to people and trying to hypnotise them into changing their sexuality. Like literally that's a thing that I saw, hypnotist posting about trying to hypnotise a straight character into being a lesbian. Naturally it didn't work through the magic of OOC preferences. It's the same bad rep that macros get in some places of thinking their size gives them an excuse to godmode regardless of whether the microes are into that sort of thing or not.
Scree

Postby ChirpGoesTheBird » Wed May 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Wickedtemp wrote:I think this is something left up to RP only. Hypnotism is kind of a god-ish thing (in my own personal opinion), right up there with "My scales can repel bullets, I'm indestructible!" and "I have a super special immune system that makes me resistant to toxins." and also "I have telepathy, watch as I use it on you!"

I'd personally prefer if it STAYS as RP. But if enough people want this, I could get behind it.

I have to agree here. It's not like handcuffs, which give an actual challenge on both a mechanical and role-play level, as it was said that it'd just make you much more persuadable, which can be done just as easily via roleplay as it can via an item.

However, since I do kind of like the idea, I think there are alternatives. A stop-watch on a chain, maybe, which is less of a hypnotizing item, and more of a role play tool. Perfectly viable for somebody who can be hypnotized, but utterly useless on one who cannot. A fluff item, pretty much.
The second most chirpiest around.
ChirpGoesTheBird

Postby Grant4455 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 pm

ChirpGoesTheBird wrote:
Wickedtemp wrote:I think this is something left up to RP only. Hypnotism is kind of a god-ish thing (in my own personal opinion), right up there with "My scales can repel bullets, I'm indestructible!" and "I have a super special immune system that makes me resistant to toxins." and also "I have telepathy, watch as I use it on you!"

I have to agree here. It's not like handcuffs, which give an actual challenge on both a mechanical and role-play level, as it was said that it'd just make you much more persuadable, which can be done just as easily via roleplay as it can via an item.

However, since I do kind of like the idea, I think there are alternatives. A stop-watch on a chain, maybe, which is less of a hypnotizing item, and more of a role play tool. Perfectly viable for somebody who can be hypnotized, but utterly useless on one who cannot. A fluff item, pretty much.

I suppose I could agree with that, though for no other reason then giving science a few more fun toys to play with, I do think goggles would simply be a more pleasing aesthetic, even if it is just a RP tool.
Grant4455

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting