Xenobiology expansion

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: Xenobiology expansion

Postby Mech__Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:46 am

somekindofpony wrote:
Mech__Warrior wrote:
However, back on topic; I don't know how feasible it would be to have slimes spawn guns or mining things seemingly due to their species. Like, I know how Bluespace is a thing and the other slimes spawn random creatures/food, but that's mostly organic material. I don't know, seems like we're grasping for straws here.

Metal slimes exist, though. And a lot of the foods are specially prepared, so unless we switched it all to just raw stuff to make sense, it limits ideas.

Even though metal slimes exist, building a gun is a lot more complicated than creating steel or making sushi. There are a lot of intricate parts in there.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby Aces » Wed May 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Chemslime; spawns beakers of random chemicals. Anything. Chloral hydrate, to the best medicine ever.

This could be a new use for the currently useless black slimes.
Aces

Postby ChirpGoesTheBird » Sun May 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Paradise Station has a pretty cool slime / Xenobiology array. The silver does food when injected with plasma and drinks when injected with blood; Rather than being able to make an adult slime docile, you can make any non-hostile creature sentient (AKA let a player take control of it), things like that.
But I feel like that's very quickly drifting into 'Ideas too amazing for VOREstation' as it'd involve a pretty hefty chunk of coding.
The second most chirpiest around.
ChirpGoesTheBird

Postby Kee_Valentine » Fri May 20, 2016 7:36 pm

The biggest problem I have with xenobio is two fold.
One, the seclusion. I understand that having slimes out in the open would be terrible, but since it's so far down and the lack of ability to make slimes useful in the game gives me no reason to travel down there at any point in game in the first place.
The value of xenobio in other games is that it can aleviate the pressure on some areas when the game is much faster. i.e. silver slimes can produce foods much more quickly than chefs if controlled right (and given good luck) however, considering the game's length, that issue never arises.
What would be far more interesting for me is if slimes could mutate to a degree, even more than they already do so. Imagine farming slimes when suddenly confronted by a sentient slime, or a humanoid slime, or a heavily aggressive slime, or maybe a seed is spawned that, when planted, grows slime cores of the slime that it would have produced, this would tie it in with xenobotany.
That kind of uniqueness is hard to code, I understand, but it's just an idea.
The other idea is something akin to what xenoarcheology can produce, artifacts or genetic alterations that have unique effects, and I think this would tie in amazingly with gold and silver slimes.
Anyone who makes the slime zoo (tons of gold slimes) knows that they can produce an array of semi-passive creatures (fuck space-bears) but if those creatures had more value in their passive state, it would make the zoos far more interesting to produce as something more than just a display piece.
Kee_Valentine

Postby Aces » Fri May 20, 2016 7:58 pm

ChirpGoesTheBird wrote:But I feel like that's very quickly drifting into 'Ideas too amazing for VOREstation' as it'd involve a pretty hefty chunk of coding.

No, that's entirely feasible. I'm more concerned with how it'd be treated by the players. We had a major problem with happy-go-lucky friendly xenos for a long time, causing me to ban friendly xenos that weren't admin approved. It made the crew treat xenos as friends by default, then cry in OOC when they ripped peoples' arms off.
Aces

Postby Mech__Warrior » Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 am

Aces wrote:
ChirpGoesTheBird wrote:But I feel like that's very quickly drifting into 'Ideas too amazing for VOREstation' as it'd involve a pretty hefty chunk of coding.

No, that's entirely feasible. I'm more concerned with how it'd be treated by the players. We had a major problem with happy-go-lucky friendly xenos for a long time, causing me to ban friendly xenos that weren't admin approved. It made the crew treat xenos as friends by default, then cry in OOC when they ripped peoples' arms off.

I remember when Harmony made a Xeno Queen using a gold slime core she knew the huge risk she took. While I knew it was a nonhostile mob, Harmony didn't and then rep took it over and we had a nice batch of RP until somebody from Sec went nuts, opened fire upon her and got her shit wrecked. Then the queen infested cargo while Harmony tried to chase her creation and calm it down. But that's been over two years ago.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Previous

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting