Xenobiology expansion

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Xenobiology expansion

Postby somekindofpony » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Helloooo. Xenobiology is a boring and un-rewarding job, let's fix that. With what? Rewards! Currently, it's a job that no one has any reason to do. Why? It's high effort and low reward. Currently, the only 'rewarding' and fun slimes to play with are;

Silver Slime. It makes random, impossible to obtain food.

Gold slime. It...Makes monsters.

Adamantite. Spawns a golem.

Pet slimes, make slimes into pets.

Sooo, from that list alone, there isn't really much worth getting. Let's think up some new endgame slimes, and with modifying current slimes, that shouldn't be too hard for me to try when I recover from starting my new job.

Tool Slimes; spawns various higher end tools at random, like an upgraded welding tool, hyper capacity powercell, Laser scapel, Diamond drill and other neat tools. No generic boring tools. The slime itself would be a modified silver slime code.

Mining slime; spawns various goodies from mining in stacks of 1-5.

Death slime; spawns various weapons at random. From useless cap guns or katanas, to a laser cannon. No infinite ammo guns should be allowed.

Proto slime; spawns protohumans of various races.

Chemslime; spawns beakers of random chemicals. Anything. Chloral hydrate, to the best medicine ever.

Clothes slime; spawns random clothes. Anything, fun fun.

The majority of these would be 'endgame' slimes. Make them evolve at the end of the rare side of the spectrum and they will take atleast two hours to get, which won't replace any other jobs. Any other ideas would be neat to read, too.
somekindofpony

Re: Xenobiology expansion

Postby rikaru19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Death slimes just sound like an easy way to grief, honestly...
rikaru19

Postby somekindofpony » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Not if it takes two hours to get the slime made.
somekindofpony

Postby Scree » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 pm

The time taken to make them does limit the grief potential, considering that they could just work R&D if they wanted a lascannon.
And ten minutes in toxins will give you more grief potential than anything else if you know what you're doing.
Scree

Postby Wickedtemp » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:51 pm

I'd support this. I've never played xenobiology, but... this looks neat. And the grief potential really wouldn't be that big, since it'd take so long to do it all, and you're more likely to die while attempting to do it than anything else.
Wickedtemp

Postby EmoxNeko » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:17 am

Lemme just get in on this. There's a reason Xenobiology isn't like you want it.

Death Slimes? What would even be the potential slimes capable of getting all these slimes?! Why the hell would we want anything that's even close to the bluespace slime?! AGHHHH!
The rest of these slimes are fine. But fuck no to Death Slimes.

My point remains. Everything on the server is boring, repeating and tedious. That's what jobs are usually supposed to be like. Lest we become more of an action server or somehow, grinding gives us something other than potential griff. I'd say no to this. Still. Xenobiology COULD be better and less boring just like Genetics. But you know. Just not with Death Slimes, man. Just. Not. Death. Slimes.
EmoxNeko

Postby NobodySpecialzz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 am

somekindofpony wrote:It's high effort and low reward.

I'll have to show you my methods then! I digress.

Personally, I believe orange, red, pink and black slimes should be changed.

Why orange? Since it's a very common slime mutation. And I think it's just belly fodder because of its affects.

Reds got the same thoughts as orange slimes, for me.

Pink slimes are okay as they are. Though I believe light pink slimes should have an 'all-pacifying' potion which nullifies all types/sizes of slimes and makes them docile. It's just a thought don't shoot me down for itplz

Black, because if I recall correctly, actually doesn't have any use on Virgo's server.

Could always modify one of them to spawn Carpotoxin, mayhaps! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

somekindofpony wrote:The majority of these would be 'endgame' slimes. Make them evolve at the end of the rare side of the spectrum and they will take atleast two hours to get, which won't replace any other jobs.
How would these slimes take TWO hours to acquire? Sheer odds against the player where blessings from RNGesus himself are nowhere to be found? Would there be some intricate process that needs to be done to breed them?

Just a reminder, xenobiologists can use purple slime extracts for triple the payload in cores! Take that for what you will.

On the topic of grief potential, there is a buttload of grief potential in xenobiology already, if you've got the cunning and robustness to go! You don't need to wait two hours to try to wreck havoc around the station with orange slimes. Or any slimes, really!

I do have a few propositions, however! Silly as it may be, but what about a glorious instrument slime!? A slime that spawns... Instruments! Violins. Guitars. Minimoogs. I'll retrain myself in the arts of making .ABC files for Virgo if instruments are made readily available on the station!!

Could even be a slime that produces an unfilled gaseous grenade that needs two chemicals and to be primed before detonation? Or a slime that generates macrocilin/microcilin from blood/phoron. A slime that creates basic construction materials such as glass, reinforced glass, metal rods etc etc., a slime that creates paint, heck! Even a slime that creates cookies! I don't know. They're just ideas!
NobodySpecialzz

Postby Scree » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:42 am

A docility extract would be an interesting effect. Something that when used on a hostile mob, sets it's faction to neutral like the nonviolent mobs spawned from gold slimes. Now YOU can charge into the gateway and get eaten by tame a xeno!
Scree

Postby Mech__Warrior » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 am

EmoxNeko wrote:Lemme just get in on this. There's a reason Xenobiology isn't like you want it.

Death Slimes? What would even be the potential slimes capable of getting all these slimes?! Why the hell would we want anything that's even close to the bluespace slime?! AGHHHH!
The rest of these slimes are fine. But fuck no to Death Slimes.

My point remains. Everything on the server is boring, repeating and tedious. That's what jobs are usually supposed to be like. Lest we become more of an action server or somehow, grinding gives us something other than potential griff. I'd say no to this. Still. Xenobiology COULD be better and less boring just like Genetics. But you know. Just not with Death Slimes, man. Just. Not. Death. Slimes.

Hey now, I actually thought bluespace crystals and the bluespace slime was pretty cool and nifty when the AI malf'd and tried to lock us out of certain parts of the station. Granted, I had to pray to RNG-esus for some help, but he came through every time.

However, back on topic; I don't know how feasible it would be to have slimes spawn guns or mining things seemingly due to their species. Like, I know how Bluespace is a thing and the other slimes spawn random creatures/food, but that's mostly organic material. I don't know, seems like we're grasping for straws here.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby somekindofpony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Mech__Warrior wrote:
However, back on topic; I don't know how feasible it would be to have slimes spawn guns or mining things seemingly due to their species. Like, I know how Bluespace is a thing and the other slimes spawn random creatures/food, but that's mostly organic material. I don't know, seems like we're grasping for straws here.

Metal slimes exist, though. And a lot of the foods are specially prepared, so unless we switched it all to just raw stuff to make sense, it limits ideas.
somekindofpony

Next

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting