Use ID to lock dorms?

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Use ID to lock dorms?

Postby Scree » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:57 am

There's been a couple of times in the past where people have hidden in dorms, where security aren't allowed to look for them due to OOC rules about interrupting scenes - and security are naturally happening across a locked door in the middle of a manhunt and having to adminhelp to ask us if they're allowed to kick the door in.

[06:05:46] Ace: What if we added a mechanism to scan who is occupying a dorm?
[06:05:57] Ace: Like in order to lock it you had to swipe your ID
[06:06:04] Scree: That would be interesting.
[06:06:04] Ace: "Occupied by so-and-so"
[06:06:18] Ace: At least one of two people is going to have an ID.
[06:06:59] Scree: So to hide in a dorm without sec knowing you're there, you'd need an accomplice who isn't wanted (or suspected) by sec. I like it.
[06:07:04] Ace: Yes
[06:07:13] Ace: Or a stolen ID
[06:07:15] Ace: *nodnod*
[06:07:43] Scree: And if you have the cooperation of another crewmember they can already hide you from security.
[06:08:03] Scree: Scree will happily hide people from security at any time. Especially tasty people. :9
[06:08:24] Ace: I wouldn't make it a requirement to swipe ID but if security is looking for someone and the dorm is "occupied by unknown" then it's just valids for security to bust in and look
[06:08:53] Ace: Scree can you post that idea on the forum? Too busy

So. It's posted to the forum. Anyone got any thoughts? Objections?

Essentially it would just be a case of "swipe ID to lock door, panel outside the dorm tells them who locked the door".
Scree

Re: Use ID to lock dorms?

Postby Vorrarkul » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:32 am

This seems cool, but one concern I have is that every pred and their mother will be keeping the IDs from their prey under this system, "just in case". Though in fairness wanted people shouldn't really be hiding in dorms, period, unless the OOC sanctity of dorm scenes is changing to fit this new system.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Dhaeleena » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:14 am

Hiding from security inside a dorm is a dick move. Dorms are the Holy place of station that shouldn't even be touched by security unless someone is calling from help from the inside and if someone is escaping from sec and decides to use a dorm that hide that is just ugh.
Dhaeleena

Postby rikaru19 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Dhaeleena wrote:Hiding from security inside a dorm is a dick move. Dorms are the Holy place of station that shouldn't even be touched by security unless someone is calling from help from the inside and if someone is escaping from sec and decides to use a dorm that hide that is just ugh.

Personally I think there should be a rule against doing that in general and if it's broken... Well, possible dayban or something similar. It's just plain rude to take advantage of dorms like that.

Seriously, just use maintenance tunnels, they work better and doesn't dick over Security.
rikaru19

Postby Aces » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 pm

The issue arises when people don't intentionally use the dorms to hide from security, but it appears that way because they engaged in a scene without realizing they were being searched for.
Aces

Postby Wickedtemp » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:48 pm

I'd support this.
Wickedtemp

Postby ChirpGoesTheBird » Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 pm

I like it. I've had more than a couple of manhunts which resulted in having to break open a dorm with criminals, and it's quite a pain.
I recall on the previous map there were also buttons on the outside of the door that only somebody with HOS/Captain access could use, which, if re-implemented along with this, would make "SECURITY JUST BROKE INTO MY DORM BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN" a very rare complaint. I'm all for it.
The second most chirpiest around.
ChirpGoesTheBird

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting