For event characters, make their name as 'Unknown'

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

For event characters, make their name as 'Unknown'

Postby somekindofpony » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 pm

One small thing that's been bugging me lately is the concept of instantly knowing a person's name despite never seeing despite a character never seeing them before in their life. I've seen several people join in the middle of an event, hear the character on radio, and instantly respond to them with their name.

[common] Syndicate Operative says, "Hello."
[common] Kerena Wile says, "SYNDICATE IS HERE OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

Keeping a character's display name hidden when they've never been introduced to the other crew members with the arrivals anouncement would make this problem less of an issue and create less awkward situations.

[common] Male person says, "Prepare for trouble!"
[common] Female Person says, "And make it double!"
Now, we have a clear way to differentiate these new characters without leaving people to accidentally slip up.

Also, the same could be done with unmonkeys that are from a cube. Having everyone know 'this monkey's name is John Wadden' just by looking at it is slightly weird. Have their default name be 'unknown', unless used with a UI injector.
somekindofpony

Re: For event characters, make their name as 'Unknown'

Postby Wickedtemp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:55 pm

I'd support this. It's a bit... weird... when like, for example, someone comes in and doesn't OOCly know that the unmonkey isn't crew, they'll be like "Oh, so why is John Johnerson SSD in the genetics lab?"

... They don't have an ID. They can't speak. You have no way of ICly knowing their name.

And yes, also the inability to meta the fuck out of events would be excellent.
Wickedtemp

Postby Aces » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:16 pm

This usually isn't a problem lol.

The admin who did this was just a doof. There's variables to change voice names.
Aces

Postby EmoxNeko » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:20 pm

I approve of this greatly. Event character or not. If you don't have an ID, you shouldn't really have yourself known. That's some serious meta, yo.
EmoxNeko

Postby somekindofpony » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:43 pm

I mean, it's fair to assume you've seen your co-workers at some point in central command. It's just weird you know everyone.
somekindofpony

Postby Aces » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:52 pm

If it's someone from the station, they're not only announced on arrival, but you have ID cards and everything.

However if it's an unknown antag or unknown visitor to the station, that's obviously another story. Again this is more of a suggestion for admins to pay attention to which variables they edit.
Aces

Postby Scree » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:52 am

Last time I had someone from central give the sec team a bollocking their name was just set to "A very angry drill instructor".

He talked like Soldier.
Scree

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Aces wrote:This usually isn't a problem lol.

The admin who did this was just a doof. There's variables to change voice names.

Pretty much this. If the admin made an oopsie then they can just do that big OOC thing like "forget the name" and then switch the var out.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting