Whitelist languages

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: Whitelist languages

Postby Aces » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:27 am

Dhaeleena wrote:Yea, i think doing a whitelist on gutterband and the deamon thing language and maybe vox (since how defuck did u learn vox even) sound good i guees, but some other more common languages from the more common races around the sector like Tajara and Unathi wouldn't have much sense to whitelist.

You can't speak Vox without being a Vox. :U

Unathi and Tajaran will not be whitelisted.
Aces

Postby somekindofpony » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Aces wrote:

How about some sort of lore restriction atleast? Too many people are using them as a generic 'feline or lizard' language.
somekindofpony

Postby Dhaeleena » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Aces wrote:

Im looking at it right now Ace, Vox is on the list of Languages you can select.
Dhaeleena

Postby Aces » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Dhaeleena wrote:
Aces wrote:

Im looking at it right now Ace, Vox is on the list of Languages you can select.

You can't shouldn't be able to speak Vox without being a Vox. :U
Aces

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Aces wrote:I am completely in favor of language whitelisting. It irritates me to know end that every security person and their dog knows Gutterband, because they shouldn't. It makes crook RP impossible. I have considered using Tradeband just to be a smartass.

That's pretty crummy of certain sec people to do that. However, if they have a rough childhood backstory I'd be ok with it.

A better fix is to just disable their ability to speak and understand gutterband when spawned as sec. Or, warn/reprimand the offending sec players for being so obviously metagamey on an ERP server.

Aces wrote:You can't shouldn't be able to speak Vox without being a Vox. :U

But why though? Yes, their language has many squawks and other such bird noises, but slime people are very good at mimicry. Why shouldn't they be able to produce the sounds too? (through bubbling at certain frequencies or whatever). Ok, so we allow the slime people race to pick it, but what about legacy characters still using the human race for their slime char? (maybe they just don't like the slime people transparency or something). Etc. Etc. all these special cases to consider. I know one char whose parents/whatever were taken by vox traders, he might have learned the language etc.

There can be many reasons, and a physiological incapability to exactly replicate the sounds might just make for an accent, not necessarily unintelligibility. And, of course, all languages can be at the least understood with study, provided they make sounds audible to a species' ears.

Furthermore, If we start white listing we add a whole other bureaucracy. I like being able to make a new demoness character without having to fill out a few forms just to be able to use the Daemon language. I'd rather suffer a few "oh man his reasons for speaking Unathi as a Taj aren't up to snuff" sentiments than add another barrier to character creation.

Tajarans joke in their native tongue as they clean dishes. A vox peddler haggles in his squawks etc. But, just like in real life, someone not of the ethnicity walks by and happens to speak their language. Some of the group are flattered, some angry, but that's just how life is.

The ONLY language that can affect gameplay if abused is Gutterband, so if we do whitelist a language, it should only be that one. I can see how that one specific instance can be an issue, but I still contend that there's a better solution.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby Aces » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:12 pm

antsnap2 wrote:
Aces wrote:I am completely in favor of language whitelisting. It irritates me to know end that every security person and their dog knows Gutterband, because they shouldn't. It makes crook RP impossible. I have considered using Tradeband just to be a smartass.

That's pretty crummy of certain sec people to do that. However, if they have a rough childhood backstory I'd be ok with it.

A better fix is to just disable their ability to speak and understand gutterband when spawned as sec. Or, warn/reprimand the offending sec players for being so obviously metagamey on an ERP server.

Aces wrote:You can't shouldn't be able to speak Vox without being a Vox. :U

But why though? Yes, their language has many squawks and other such bird noises, but slime people are very good at mimicry. Why shouldn't they be able to produce the sounds too? (through bubbling at certain frequencies or whatever). Ok, so we allow the slime people race to pick it, but what about legacy characters still using the human race for their slime char? (maybe they just don't like the slime people transparency or something). Etc. Etc. all these special cases to consider. I know one char whose parents/whatever were taken by vox traders, he might have learned the language etc.

There can be many reasons, and a physiological incapability to exactly replicate the sounds might just make for an accent, not necessarily unintelligibility. And, of course, all languages can be at the least understood with study, provided they make sounds audible to a species' ears.

Furthermore, If we start white listing we add a whole other bureaucracy. I like being able to make a new demoness character without having to fill out a few forms just to be able to use the Daemon language. I'd rather suffer a few "oh man his reasons for speaking Unathi as a Taj aren't up to snuff" sentiments than add another barrier to character creation.

Tajarans joke in their native tongue as they clean dishes. A vox peddler haggles in his squawks etc. But, just like in real life, someone not of the ethnicity walks by and happens to speak their language. Some of the group are flattered, some angry, but that's just how life is.

The ONLY language that can affect gameplay if abused is Gutterband, so if we do whitelist a language, it should only be that one. I can see how that one specific instance can be an issue, but I still contend that there's a better solution.

Vox have specially designed mouths is why you can't speak Vox--ever.

Diona also speak in a frequency that most creatures can't even hear, much less make sense of. They don't even use their mouths to talk.

I have no problem with any other languages being usable, but Vox and Diona are a couple of examples that you flat out can't speak and in the case of Diona, can't even hear properly.
Aces

Postby antsnap2 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:55 am

Aces wrote:Vox have specially designed mouths is why you can't speak Vox--ever.

Diona also speak in a frequency that most creatures can't even hear, much less make sense of. They don't even use their mouths to talk.

Is there a source for this, or is this just the lore we are doing on this server? I've only heard of descriptors of the vox/diona languages as squak/crackle based, but maybe I'm missing something. I suppose the later can't be well approximated by the human tongue.

Aces wrote:I have no problem with any other languages being usable, but Vox and Diona are a couple of examples that you flat out can't speak and in the case of Diona, can't even hear properly.

That's a fair compromise, but I think lore-matically certain slime chars shouldn't have trouble understanding Diona sense they can presumably sense the minute vibrations against their liquid bodies. Maybe that's a stretch though and it isn't super duper immersion important. Obviously robots understand all languages, though.

In this case there's no need to whitelist; Just remove the ability to speak Vox-Pidgin from the language drop down in char select. Vox will still be able to speak it by default. Rootspeak isn't in the dropdown, so that's not an issue. Treat cops speaking gutterband on a case-by-case imo.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby Aces » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 am

antsnap2 wrote:
Aces wrote:Vox have specially designed mouths is why you can't speak Vox--ever.

Is there a source for this, or is this just the lore we are doing on this server? I've only heard of descriptors of the vox/diona languages as squak/crackle based, but maybe I'm missing something. I suppose the later can't be well approximated by the human tongue.

Aces wrote:I have no problem with any other languages being usable, but Vox and Diona are a couple of examples that you flat out can't speak and in the case of Diona, can't even hear properly.

That's a fair compromise, but I think lore-matically certain slime chars shouldn't have trouble understanding Diona sense they can presumably sense the minute vibrations against their liquid bodies. Maybe that's a stretch though and it isn't super duper immersion important. Obviously robots understand all languages, though.

In this case there's no need to whitelist; Just remove the ability to speak Vox-Pidgin from the language drop down in char select. Vox will still be able to speak it by default. Rootspeak isn't in the dropdown, so that's not an issue. Treat cops speaking gutterband on a case-by-case imo.

https://wiki.baystation12.net/Vox

Vox have two tongues - one large one for swallowing and tasting, and another in the roof of the beak for vocalizing softer/subnotes within Vox-pidgin. Vox-pidgin itself is bewilderingly complex and defies any concerted study by linguists.

It would be impossible for a human (or humanoid) to speak Vox-pidgin without drastic and disfiguring throat and facial surgery.
Aces

Postby Scree » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 am

Basically it's one of those "Scree or a changeling could eat a vox and develop the physiology speak it but even then he'd lack the cultural immersion required to understand it plus probably doesn't care enough" things.

Like those star trek guys that speak entirely in metaphors that rely on their own cultural history to make even a fragment of sense, so anyone without that cultural background finds them utterly impossible to talk to.
Scree

Postby rikaru19 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:44 am

I'm probably going to retcon Reika speaking vox ever in this case because damn, did not know all of this.
rikaru19

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting