A Discord Channel

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: A Discord Channel

Postby Dhaeleena » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 am

Well in my opinion Discord is kinda good...but not as good as everyone makes it sound, it might use less memory than skype and might not hog memory like it, but i feel like skype is a lot easier to use, set up and manage everything. In discord i spent my first hour trying to figure out how to turn off the annoying notifications, sounds and everything, then spent like 10 mins trying to add someone to friends cuz to add them you gotta copy their name and some numbers or something like that. The thing is that if i didn't had people telling me what to do to set up everything it would have taken me half an hour more. Discord is just...confusing? for me overall and i understand that discord is better in a fair amount of ways, but also what nightwing says is true, we already have a proper chat room and almost everyone just refuses to use it because they prefer skype, i dont think anything is going to be different with yet another chat.
Dhaeleena

Postby Lobo-Branco » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:52 am

I've moved away from Skype to Telegram. Just wanted to say that. Also, I just googled "discord" because I had no idea what you were talking about... And frankly, there are lots of software and apps just like Discord. I have no idea why this specific one got so popular (according to you).
Daniel Barrett

Lobo-Branco

Postby Scree » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Telegram requires a phone number to sign up and is designed from the ground up as more as a mobile app than a multi-platform thing.
Also have heard about it doing things like going through your phone's contact list and "helpfully" adding anyone on there as a telegram contact if they have it - so, say, workmates and family suddenly get this furry-ass motherfuckin wolf show up in their telegram contacts and WUPS.
Scree

Postby Lobo-Branco » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Scree wrote:Telegram requires a phone number to sign up and is designed from the ground up as more as a mobile app than a multi-platform thing.
Also have heard about it doing things like going through your phone's contact list and "helpfully" adding anyone on there as a telegram contact if they have it - so, say, workmates and family suddenly get this furry-ass motherfuckin wolf show up in their telegram contacts and WUPS.

Yeah, it does all of that. I simply bought a new SIM card for less than 5 USD to keep my furry and RL separate.
I have already joined several kinky RP groups on Telegram and I must say it's a pretty useful tool. The mobile part is entirely optional, the desktop part is not a mirror of what happens in the mobile app, it's an entirely new platform that access your account and message history independent of your mobile app situation. That SIM card I said I bought is not even in my smartphone and I could uninstall the app and stick to desktop only if I wanted to.

People can create groups and invite people in, or leave it open for anyone with a link to join, for example: http://www.furry-telegram-groups.net/
Daniel Barrett

Lobo-Branco

Postby jemli » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 am

Personally, having tried Discord out, I think it's likely just going to wind up as a fad. The most useful thing about skype is that it's just so widely used, it's like the one stop for contacts. Like, with the chatroom we have, the problem with it is that it was its own separate thing, requiring a log in there for the chat room, while you still have skype open for all the other rooms and contacts that you have. It just reaches the point where it's easier to just stick with skype.
jemli

Postby antsnap2 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:39 pm

If we are moving to another chat system, I'd prefer (and it'd be better in the long term) some open-source client. Discord is nicer from what I've heard, but since its proprietary, if it ever changes drastically (skype post microsoft buy), then we'd just do this dance again.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby Aces » Mon May 02, 2016 5:11 pm

jemli wrote:Personally, having tried Discord out, I think it's likely just going to wind up as a fad. The most useful thing about skype is that it's just so widely used, it's like the one stop for contacts. Like, with the chatroom we have, the problem with it is that it was its own separate thing, requiring a log in there for the chat room, while you still have skype open for all the other rooms and contacts that you have. It just reaches the point where it's easier to just stick with skype.

That's what people used to say about MySpace vs Facebook, then MySpace repeatedly broke its self worse and worse with every update until it was borderline unusable.
Aces

Postby Lobo-Branco » Tue May 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Well, is it official already? Is Discord our new OOC chat?
Daniel Barrett

Lobo-Branco

Previous

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting