A Discord Channel

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

A Discord Channel

Postby Spooky » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:25 am

So I know there's some demand for it, Discord is on the rise and as soon as I posted a link in the main chat, people started to join. Skype has alot of issues, and even though it works decent, there's a decent number of people interested in Discord as well. If everyone is fine with it, I'd like to include a Discord link with the Skype link on the server, or some other place where it's available so people have an option between the two. Provided the link is added, we'd also need a couple staff members to sit in there too. So, opinions, questions, concerns?
Spooky

Re: A Discord Channel

Postby Nightwing » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 am

Well, I don't see the point in creating yet another chatroom. If people are going to leave Skype, they should be heading to our online chatroom, not to a third group. This will really just spread our chats around to even more places instead of "fixing" one or the other.
Nightwing

Postby Spooky » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:37 am

Nightwing wrote:Well, I don't see the point in creating yet another chatroom. If people are going to leave Skype, they should be heading to our online chatroom, not to a third group. This will really just spread our chats around to even more places instead of "fixing" one or the other.

I mean I see your point, but the online chatroom isn't Discord. People who are interested in having a Discord are interested because it's an up and coming good alternative to Skype. Worst case it doesn't work and we close it down if it's unpopulated and useless fluff. But I'd really like to give it a try. It's my personal preference to Skype, particularly because it's got much better permission management, addable channels, and it's much less likely to crash with a high volume of messages, as I've heard alot of people mentioning their Skype has had. (Also I love the way it looks over Skype's. But that's not too relevant.)
Spooky

Postby Vorrarkul » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:34 am

Having tried Discord, I'd agree. My skype frequently freezes or causes other issues. I'd use it, and it solves one of the major complaints I keep hearing about our website's C4 chat; a lack of mobile support.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Wickedtemp » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:23 am

I'd be unable to participate in the discord chats. I only have so much storage space on my phone, and I've already got skype and telegram. I don't have room for three, four, or five different messaging apps.
Wickedtemp

Postby Spooky » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 am

Wickedtemp wrote:I'd be unable to participate in the discord chats. I only have so much storage space on my phone, and I've already got skype and telegram. I don't have room for three, four, or five different messaging apps.

According to the iTunes store, Skype takes up a whopping 101mb. Telegram takes up 39.4mb. Discord takes up 10mb. Skype is bulky and especially unoptimized for phones.
Microsoft has this terrible problem with neglecting or taking apps/platforms in a really bad direction.
Spooky

Postby Nyxian » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 am

I support the use of a discord channel. Its moderation tools, light weight, and ability to be used in nearly every environment (as long as you're not running like windows vista) all pretty much outmatch skype.
Nyxian

Postby Spooky » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:05 am

I'm giving this the rest of today to see either community support or opposition before I ask it to be an official thing, and even then I'm not sure I want to anymore. As of writing, this is too split to consider being an official chat. So it's an unofficial chat, which would be a dickish move to shutdown because you'd be basically telling a portion of the community they can't have their own Discord not related to the server. The voice channels on it are shutdown because it is pretty much just VORE members right now and I've no intention of encouraging people to metagame. The main channels will be watched for metagaming, and if people PM to do it it makes no difference over Skype because people will can just PM each other there too. Because it's unofficial we don't need official VORE staff to come on and moderate. It's highly unlike anyone who was on Skype is going to forgo all of Skype because I made an unofficial discord with about 10% of the current Skype community on it. Most of us use Skype for other things.
Spooky

Postby ParadoxSpace » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:46 pm

Honestly, a Discord would be the best option out of any. It's accessable by mobile, by PC, by web browser, all for free. Plus, voice and text channels, and it's more lightweight and has better features and a better UI than Skype/the chatroom ever did. Plus uno.
ParadoxSpace

Postby Scree » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:43 am

Skype is terrible, but more people have it. However, if it can't perform its basic function, there's no point having it.
Discord's web interface is at least functional, certainly for text chat.
The only concern I really had about using discord is that there was no way in hell I was wanting to keep track of yet another thread of conversations. If we start a discord server, I ditch the skype room.
Scree

Next

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting