Spidertaur webs are ready! Discuss, and expand on ideas

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Spidertaur webs are ready! Discuss, and expand on ideas

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2FOXsCIpY

So we've been talking about webs for spider taur chars. I've been working on it all morning and I think it's ready to be merged. It's still a WIP with more features planned, but for now those with a spider taur body can

1. Make webs that go over the floor. They are super easy to destroy (literally 1 hp, so one hit from an emergency O2 tank), and have a 3/20 chance of getting non spidertaurs stuck (it's like a .3 second root though no biggie~). The webs have a 3 second formation time.

2. Can make web bindings that go into the suit slot (thank molenar for his sprite dump). This is for RPing wrapping morsels up and doing fun bondage things. 3 second formation, and the webs spawn in hand

The abilities are available in the new "Species Powers" tab, which in the future can be used for special powers based on taur bodies and races. Right now, if you aren't a spider taur you won't have this menu. The abilities are based on the taur dna block, so those who become driders later on through genetics things will be able to spin webs just the same~

PICS
Some feature features I wanna include eventually

-Make a special web tile that's a reskinned xeno floor trap tile.
-Make the web bindings actually serve as a restraint (with a balance friendly 5 sec escape time or something).
-Make prettier and more webs
-MAYBE separate the web type, so it isn't the same as that used by the giant spider mob.

I think they are ready to be merged and used, as they are quite tested and such. Balance wise it's not an issue since those bound can just take off the web cocoon, since it's just cosmetic. Common sense applies to the web use (if you cover the entire bar in webs without permission, then you will get yelled at by admins probably :3). You have to walk back and forth over webs a bunch of times to actually get stuck in them, and getting stuck just stops you from moving for a very brief time. I left getting stuck in because the webs from spidertaurs are the same as those planted by the giant spider mobs, and I didn't want to nerf them too much.

Ask questions and share ideas please~
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Re: Spidertaur webs are ready! Discuss, and expand on ideas

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Sounds like a fun utility.
Ophélie Sauveterre - Ainslie Grześkiewicz - Cathode - Venus Rhys
Slayerhero90

Postby cameron653 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:25 pm

This would be a great addition!
The sprite is great, and the premise is pretty nice.
The coding itself appears to be pretty solid.

One qualm I have is making the spiderweb have only 1 hp. Couldn't you rather make a subsection of the spiderweb, such as
/obj/effect/spider/stickyweb/drider and give it health = 1, instead of making all spider webs have 1 hp?

Example of what I'm talking about:

/obj/effect/spider/stickyweb/drider
health = 1

And make the ability

mob/proc/weaveWeb()
set name = "Weave Web"
set category = "Species Powers"
src.visible_message("\blue \the [src] weaves a web from their spinneret silk.")
spawn(30) //3 seconds to form
new /obj/effect/spider/stickyweb/drider(src.loc)

instead of

mob/proc/weaveWeb()
set name = "Weave Web"
set category = "Species Powers"
src.visible_message("\blue \the [src] weaves a web from their spinneret silk.")
spawn(30) //3 seconds to form
new /obj/effect/spider/stickyweb(src.loc)

Other than that, I don't see much problem in this, and I hope it's added into the code!
cameron653

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:59 pm

cameron653 wrote:Change webs

Yeah I do want to do that, however if a drider and a giant spider both make webs in the same room, it might be confusing.

Anyone else have thoughts on this~
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby ParadoxSpace » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 pm

I am hilariously hype for this, you have no idea.
ParadoxSpace

Postby antsnap2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Thank you cameron for patching the server crashing exploit :3

I was assuming 3 second formation time would be enough to deter, but in retrospect that's foolish.

I like the nutrient limiter, that code can be use delsewhere too for other fun powers~.
antsnap2

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting