Customizable Blood Color

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Customizable Blood Color

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Now that slimefolk, with their technicolor flesh, have been introduced into play, it stretches the suspension of disbelief to have all slimes bleed the same light cyan color, when logically, the spilt slurry should be, unless otherwise dictated by the player of the slime, the color of the slime's material. This could be solved by setting the slime blood color equal to the body color, but I'd like a more universal solution, because it's not only for slimes I'd like to deviate from the set species blood color for.

I, for example, play a number of non-akula fish, namely Ophelie Sauveterre and Ainslie Grzeskiewicz, a space carp and eel respectively, and in the future, hopefully many more. Being forced into having blue blood forces me to shoehorn in explanations for why someone who should have red blood has blue blood instead.

Other characters, like the xenomorph-hybrids I see around, could profit from being able to have green blood. Bug-people could profit from being able to have yellow or white blood. The non-akula sharks (and other fish) might like to not be bound to blue blood. The faux-demonfolk could take advantage of black blood or any other color their kind could have.

This change would simultaneously lift unrealistic restrictions to a certain blood color as well as allow for a greater degree of exploration with character design. The only consequences I can see are people ignoring the proper blood color of a lore-handled species out of ignorance or with an unsatisfactory explanation as for why their blood color deviates. The ideal form it would take is a setting underneath body color in char setup.
Ophélie Sauveterre - Ainslie Grześkiewicz - Cathode - Venus Rhys
Slayerhero90

Re: Customizable Blood Color

Postby Wickedtemp » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:24 pm

I think it'd be neat! My ONLY concern is something already mentioned, someone going against an already established species and making their character special and unique via blood color.

"Oh, well, I'm a human, but [Insert tragic backstory involving genetics testing here] and now I have hot pink blood."
Wickedtemp

Postby Gramzon_the_Dragon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Has my support as well. Not much I can add besides that. The post covers anything i could think of.
Gramzon_the_Dragon

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:07 pm

Wickedtemp wrote:I think it'd be neat! My ONLY concern is something already mentioned, someone going against an already established species and making their character special and unique via blood color.

"Oh, well, I'm a human, but [Insert tragic backstory involving genetics testing here] and now I have hot pink blood."

And see, I'd be okay if the "tragic backstory" or whatever suffices does an adequate job of explaining how it happened and what led to it. But it's gotta /do/ a sufficient job, of course. This is a server of snowflakes, and I'm happy to embrace that, so long as the snowflakiness makes sense. We have the opportunity to explore snowflakiness here so much more than in many other server. Back to the point: humans with hot pink blood are cool if it makes sense, and it doesn't take a lot to make sense.
Slayerhero90

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 pm

If their flavor text has a compelling story for bleeding chocolate, then I don't care~

I support the idea~
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby cameron653 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 pm

This would be nice to see added in. It'd add some variety to races, so if you had a purple slime, you'd have purple blood, orange, orange blood, etc etc.

I really can't see this going wrong, as it's just changing the color of the blood, and really wouldn't be abusable.
cameron653

Postby Slayerhero90 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Cam, you up for pursuing this as a coding project?
Slayerhero90

Postby antsnap2 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:53 pm

I looked at the code briefly.

Issue at the moment is that blood color is tied to species, not character.

Still possible though I'm sure.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby ChirpGoesTheBird » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Wickedtemp wrote:I think it'd be neat! My ONLY concern is something already mentioned, someone going against an already established species and making their character special and unique via blood color.

For almost everything like that-- Characters that violate established lore etc, You're supposed to file a special character application, so I feel like it wouldn't be a big problem.
The second most chirpiest around.
ChirpGoesTheBird

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting