Macros able to carry objects smaller sizes can't

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: Macros able to carry objects smaller sizes can't

Postby somekindofpony » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:58 pm

Would it be possible to add prefixes to any objects a macro spawns with? Such as, a macro spawning with a grey jumpsuit would get 'large jumpsuit'. No mechanical stuff needed, just you'll get some funny looks for wearing a skyscraper's jumpsuit, or get pulled over by sec for wearing a micro's jumpsuit that could hardly cover a nipple.
somekindofpony

Postby ParadoxSpace » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 pm

ChirpGoesTheBird wrote:I recall that it was quite a big suggestion on the skype chat that adding any real bonus and nerf to macros would mean we'd also need some for micros, and some people wouldn't be able to play what they wanted to (Micros / Macros) due to gameplay changes, which is bad.
Plus, script overhauls.

Define 'unable to play what they wanted'
ParadoxSpace

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:35 pm

ParadoxSpace wrote:
ChirpGoesTheBird wrote:I recall that it was quite a big suggestion on the skype chat that adding any real bonus and nerf to macros would mean we'd also need some for micros, and some people wouldn't be able to play what they wanted to (Micros / Macros) due to gameplay changes, which is bad.
Plus, script overhauls.

Define 'unable to play what they wanted'

Like... "Oh, man I wanted to play a micro character but I don't want to deal with all the new gameplay mechanics that come with it. I don't want to die from drinking one glass of Gargle Blaster, or get turned into a chunky red smear if I get stepped on!"

But, uh... micros are already pretty much objectively more robust, since a moving micro is not only just hard to even SEE sometimes, but they're MUCH harder to click on, ESPECIALLY when they're moving. Yeah, people can pick you up. IF THEY CAN CLICK YOU. And even then, I'm fairly sure you can just MOVE once you're picked up and you'll "wriggle out of X's grip!"... But yeah, this is what's probably being mentioned in that post. People might not play micros or macros anymore because of the gameplay mechanics involving size.
Wickedtemp

Postby ParadoxSpace » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Honestly the robusting micros thing breaks my immersion almost every time I see it.
ParadoxSpace

Postby Wickedtemp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Well... It's a bit difficult to ignore every single "immersion breaking" thing and honestly I don't normally take any comments of "broke muh immersion" into consideration.

But this is actually...weird. Because it's like "Oh, yeah, what happened to that twenty foot tall, four thousand pound giant snow leopard?"

"Oh, them. A five inch tall, 1 pound mouse beat them up. Fractures and brain trauma."

"Wow..."

"Yeah, third time this week."

"Th-THIS WEEK?! But it's MONDAY!!!"

"Yep..."
Wickedtemp

Postby Arbon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Chances are that mouse was me. :D

There's already a mass discussion of this in the coding section and it's been a very long, ongoing debate for years now. The best solution I've seen is to make it so that clicking on the square a micro is standing in counts as clicking the micro, which entirely negates that unfair stealth and evasion. But its a fix that really cannot be used in combination with attempts to make that innate evasion part of the balance. Honestly giving macros some neat advantages of their own is more necessary, and micros being robust would be more of an issue if we actually did robust things more often.

Stomp mechanic already in play means YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CLICK in order to crush a micro, just move your character over them to automatically stun them, macros having the advantage of being able to do this to just about any non-macro. Alongside the fact they can click you and throw for a unique level of battlefield control. If you wanted to make micros easier to take down, increase the length of the stun. Or add in what Citadel did with their stomp mechanics, getting stepped on makes you drop your items.

For the actual topic on-hand, I’d love it if macros had the capacity to pick up and carry say, lockers, crates, ore boxes, ect. To make them more useful in areas where physical strength is actually a benefit.
Arbon

Postby Aces » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:09 pm

It's not that we can't do this, but it means that we'd have to make some objects too big or too small for various sizes could use.

I did that once and everyone had a fit.
Aces

Postby Scree » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:00 am

I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue if alternatives were provided.
Macros being able to use things that would normally be crew-served weapons, for instance.
(also adding crew-served weapons in general would be sweet)

As funny as it is, I wouldn't go this far for micros, though. :p
Scree

Postby antsnap2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Aces wrote:It's not that we can't do this, but it means that we'd have to make some objects too big or too small for various sizes could use.

I did that once and everyone had a fit.

Yeah I don't think ability-to-use should be dependent on size ever because fun and balance BUT we can make certain things easier to use based on size. Due to the advantages micros have, this should mostly be in favor of the large atm (being able to 'pick-up' cargo crates and other things instead of drag, for example).
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Previous

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting