idea: reformation/cloning crystals

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

idea: reformation/cloning crystals

Postby warbrand2 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Ok not putting this in my minor ideas topic cause well frankly this will need a bit more then minor discussion.

The idea: reformation/ cloning crystals

what they are: the cloning crystals would be a tech heavy item which can not be destroyed by conventional means and can contain a DNA copy of a person which is upto date on their memory to the point that they stopped touching the crystal.

how it would work

1.science team makes a cloning crystal (complex redspace, blue space and DNA stuff required as never done jobs no clue how this would be done)
2. person injects their DNA into the crystal (take needle draw blood, inject into crystal)
3. crystal glows
4. upon death person is cloned by the crystal near its location with memories upto point they stopped tuching cystal. (like moment they where eaten)

how to destroy a crystal: the crystals can not be destroyed while they have active DNA in them, but if inactive they can be smashed with just about anything, even throwing will damage. (reactive sensors and wiring is only active when it has DNA in its data banks)

basic idea for use: high ranking crew member, or designated PREY is given the crystal, they put it in a safe place or keep it on their person, they get eaten, and die crystal brings them back. RP for memory loss. IF crystal was on them when eaten, will be on them when it brings them back (not really original destroyed new on is just in slot last one was in... doesn't work for ones in bags or dropped which just bring person back at near by tile.)

note: these can technically be digested, as if dropped in a stomach will reform prey near pred. once prey is reformed they crystal turns off so is quickly destroyed by the acids.

Yeah I need to stream line ideas ok basics of this.

the idea is to have a micro cloning bay in the shape of a crystal that can rapidly reform its target. said crystal is multi use, but must be reinjected with DNA after each use. While active (holds DNA) is indestructible and will "reform" its owner upon death, once it does its job requires more DNA.

The crystal can be easily destroyed when inactive (just to lower coding needed, aka excuse for them to vanish if digested). but if still on user when they die and body is completely destroyed will be "cloned" with the user (failsafe design)

this would allow refomation characters to be played with out using stupid "magic" excuses, though said RP will still be an option. The down side to this is the fact that it would be either a high tech thing that requires science and medical to make or it would be a whitelisted fluff item that is spawn with only and requires an app to gain.

EDIT

Alt idea: have the crystal be one use, and upon use the person nutrition is set to 0 as well as them having a major toxen damage. meaning they will be sluggish and need to check in with medical upon being cloned.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Re: idea: reformation/cloning crystals

Postby jemli » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea, as it'd be taking one of the biggest things that medical is called upon on the station and basically nullifying it.
jemli

Postby Gramzon_the_Dragon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:41 am

jemli wrote:Personally, I think this is a terrible idea, as it'd be taking one of the biggest things that medical is called upon on the station and basically nullifying it.

This. Without antagonists creating chaos, medical has to rely on getting most of its work from cloning digested prey and workplace accidents (usually broken bones or huge burns!). And at rare times someone who utterly drowned themselves in drink and blew up their liver.

Heck, the main reason i decided to pursue a medical career is because cloning seemed in high demand, but with this gone medical could get even more boring.
Gramzon_the_Dragon

Postby Scree » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:18 am

A portable autocloner would utterly destroy what semblance of risk we have left on gateway missions.
Science already has an endgame in upgrading clone tech and being able to build new cloning machinery, a portable one that doesn't require biomass or even to be set up in a secure, powered area would break things horribly.

A neat concept, but possibly better suited for a more light-hearted, fantasy setting where WAVE UPON WAVE OF MY OWN MEN is an expected and viable tactic.

edit: balancing them by giving them damage when they clone and necessitating a trip to the medbay kinda defeats the point of the item, just use the medbay cloner, and STILL means that on the gateway people can set up portable rearming bases by sticking the crystal in a crate full of toxin kits, food, weapons, etc.
Scree

Postby Aces » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Yea I don't want any portable equivalent of cloning. Sucks the fun out of things.
Aces

Postby Nightwing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:13 pm

This is an interesting idea, Warbrand, but I feel it'd fit better in a fantasy, medieval, magic and dragons and knights-type setting rather than the space setting here. Aside from not particularly fitting with our lore (I'll tread lightly here since we do have bluespace crystals), there's a number of other concerns I have.

1) It's a little overpowered. Rather than being limited in any real way, you're now being given an invincible, movable, instant-revival kit.

2) It'd be a nightmare to program something like that

3) It's taking away from the job of medical a little - this is less of an issue since we have autocloners in newcode, but still.

To conclude, I'm afraid I can't really support this idea. It's good and imaginative, but not practical.
Nightwing

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting