Add Xenobio/Xenobot access to the Outpost? Or shower/dorms.

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Add Xenobio/Xenobot access to the Outpost? Or shower/dorms.

Postby Werebear » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 am

I think, THINK, because I haven't played roboticist, they're the only ones without outpost access in the science division?

I have basically two different suggestions here.

The first is giving all of science basic access to the outpost, simply to use the dorms. All the other big departments have some kind of private area nearby and science doesn't really. The break room definitely doesn't count. I did a scene in there because I thought it was relatively unused and I was surprised how many people popped in. One of them even got slightly mad. It's a decent walk to anywhere private, otherwise, for a xenobio/xenobot There's two private dorms on the outpost, however.

In some aspects access to the outpost for the xeno part of science makes some sense. As an example, the flora and fauna reconstitution consoles are supposed to be used with fossils found on the asteroid. I have yet to find or be given anything that works, but, that's supposedly what they're for. I can't think of a reason robotics would need to access the outpost, though, aside from lewds in outpost dorms.

Other suggestion is a dorm/shower area like engineering and security have, for general science access.
Werebear

Re: Add Xenobio/Xenobot access to the Outpost? Or shower/dor

Postby Arbon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:20 am

Robotisist /needs/ access to the outpost moreso than anyone else in science, because a robotisist cannot make a number of the vital components for their robots without a beaker of acid. When they have access they can head over and make use of the chemical dispenser on the astroid and come back to make an Oddy, then use the oddy to synthesize more acid and have a solid production working. When they cannot, they have to beg another scientist to do so, or walk over and beg medical. Either way its pointless busywork and cramps down on robotisit's functioning by requiring they wait for 3 other jobs to be filled out before they can even start the beginnings of their own. Namely, other scientists getting the research levels up because they can't do it themselves, AND begging them to synch the servers after doing so, and hoping the miners bring in the materials you need.

There haven't been any major problems with allowing robotisist full access to the science outpost before, for much the same logic we don't have any problems with allowing medical personal full access to chemistry. For our station letting more departments be able to function with less people is just ideal.

As for reasons to be given access, Robotisist need materials, and on the old code at least there was materials to be found from the science side of the asteroid. So in an emergency with no miners a robotisist could suit up and go mine for themselves without requiring a HoP, even if its far less efficient and they'll be stuck without access to the actual smelter, only able to mail materials down to the mining station through that tube and hope someone handles the backlog they send.
Arbon

Postby Netjak » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:37 pm

In our updated version, the roboticists actually have access to a sulphuric acid dispenser and no longer need to treck over to the outpost for refills :P
Netjak

Postby Werebear » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 am

Gonna revisit this because I just had an event where we took a jaunt to the outpost for some private time and it turned out a xenoarch had uncovered some extremely dangerous artifacts and not secured them or cleaned up after or left a note that 'btw the outpost is irradiated and covered in phoron'. I suffered some radiation damage and phoron burns, only noticed the phoron, ditched back to the station in disappointment when I saw/scanned the phoron in the air, and then we get back and my fucking hair fell out from radiation. Kinda killed the mood for scene.
Please give science a dorm room like engi/sec has. For Silas's hair.
Werebear

Postby Aces » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:53 am

If you can think of a place to actually put the dorms, we'll do it. But, security and engineering do not have private dorms.
Aces

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting