[Suggest!] We Don't Need a Defib Timer

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: [Suggest!] We Don't Need a Defib Timer

Postby Wickedtemp » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:05 pm

If someone tries to play a doctor that refuses to resleeve people, Im pretty sure theyre getting spoken to by an admin, for obvious reasons.

As for doctors insisting on waiting absurd lengths of time instead of resleeving, I'm sure if that was a problem, we would know for certain by now, as we've evidently had a nearly two hour timer for almost a full year. If the patient wants to just be resleeved, thats 100% fine.

And the only time a doctor just gunning for the resleeve could be an issue is when another doctor has the corpse and says "Hey, don't resleeve this one, they'll be alive in two minutes" and then the other doctor does it anyway. And that's an IC issue rather than an OOC one anyway.

The transcore message is probably fine as it is. Evidence being, again, its been fine for the last year we've had this extended timer and I don't recall any complaints.
Wickedtemp

Postby Wickedtemp » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Also quick add-on: ideally, doctors wanting to operate instead of resleeving would ask the patient in LOOC first if its gonna take a while. If its nothing major, then defibbing is faster anyway, but sometimes operations can take longer, especially if the doctors aren't as experienced, and I totally get being frustrated that you could've been resleeved quickly but instead a dude is failing at saving you for an hour.
Wickedtemp

Postby Aphelion922 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:49 pm

Agreed, or the patient can ghost looc asking for one. The timer would make sense on a smaller, more mechanically intensive station. Feels kinda diminishing here.
Aphelion922

Postby VerySoft » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:53 am

Just throwing my hat in. I am fine with the timer being removed or extended a lot.

If someone is taking absurd amounts of time to heal people instead of just resleeving them, that's probably more of a coaching issue anyway.

But being especially that we have certain species who CAN'T be resleeved, there being a way to revive people who have been dead a while is good, imo.
VerySoft

Postby Etheo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:05 am

Another way to enable this self policing sort of thing, as Im understanding it, perhaps have checking a corpse's pulse notify the owner of the body that medical is treating them? That way med staff can just poke the body, ask in looc if they wanna get resleeved or not.

Something like that would make it a bit easier to smooth out those corners.
Etheo

Postby Wickedtemp » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:15 pm

I don't think I can make a git PR to change or remove the timer, iirc its a config thing, and it looks like a decent portion of staff is okay with this idea. So I'ma let this sit and if anyone brings up concerns, I'll reply and stuff. I actually had a lot of talking points already planned out and was expecting much more pushback and uncertainty, but I think the fact that we've actually had a 2 hour timer for months and months alleviates a lot of the concerns folks otherwise would've had.
Wickedtemp

Postby Scree » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:14 am

Heroman3003 wrote:On a more opinionated side of things, I'm a bit worried about medical refusing to resleeve purely on 'principles' even when it would be preferred for patients, as well as would like to add a suggestion that if defib timers are to be gone (or set to overly high time), then the backup implant timer needs to be cut down as well. The main reason it is set to 15 mintues right now, as far as i'm aware is because that is approximate time medical has to defib the body before it's too late. There'd be nothing wrong with lowering it down to 5 or so minutes if defib timers don't exist at all.

15 minutes also gives people time to do some post-stuff scenes that the prey might want to be observing for (I'll leave the details to your imagination) and also gives more illicit sneaky stuff a bit of time to act before people know the patient is gone.

Also it does give people time to treat the patients as well - if medical are on the ball and hit resleeve as soon as the notification comes out, then I can see situations where someone is injured on an expedition, the warning goes out, the field medic manages to get them onto the shuttle, simultaneously in medbay a fresh sleeve pops out, and then compltely unbeknownst to each other it's a race to finish first.

If medbay finish first, then they can be resleeved when the field medic is about to revive them - which means they get yanked to medbay instead of getting to continue the expedition.
If medbay finish first and they refuse the resleeve, hoping for a defib instead, then that has potential for medbay being left with wasted biomass and a risk that they'll go "huh, they must not want reviving" which means that if the field medic can't get them into a defibbable condition, the medbay have already written them off.
If the field medic defibs them before medbay are done, then they've already wasted biomass printing a sleeve.

I'd need to check with some field medic mains before I took a guess, but last time I got shot on an expedition they hauled my carcass onto the shuttle and it took a little longer than 5 minutes to stabilise me.
Scree

Previous

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting