Science Re-design Feedback

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Science Re-design Feedback

Postby KiraAlitruss » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:38 am

aaaaaaaaa
at the request of people I will not name to protect their privacy

HELLO
If you play science, you might've seen the department looks a bit different!!!! Do you like it? Do you hate it? Please try to formulate your thoughts/opinions into something that the re-designer can use to adjust, fix and improve their work!
KiraAlitruss

Re: Science Re-design Feedback

Postby A potato » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:12 am

Not a science player and I don't like it, but not for the usual reasons I would bitch about. The main reason for my dislike is that it's not entirely sensible, as the main-entry has been opened up but at the same time, the doors to the staircase and back-entry from near surface EVA remains locked up. That seems a bit questionable to me, considering there's only 2 storages, the break-room, the RD's office and 1 more real lab behind that locked away door (and I think the science EVA access allows you to get in there with any access anyways).

TL;DR, open up the stair-case and back entry too since it's kinda pointless to keep those bits locked away too.

EDIT: Alternatively, revert it and move the labs around a bit and give them a lobby, since I just noticed that science is the only department that has no lobby room. That would give it a more uniform design and stop science from doing their RnD renovation project they do almost every shift in the hallways.
A potato

Postby LDip » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 am

Robotics got a windoor, which is pretty good, and a lobby would be pretty good, but letting everyone run around science's top floor and have the shooting range seperated by a single airlock from public access is a disaster waiting to happen, together with the fact that dangerous things cannot be stored in the hallway anymore, and the storage room (Where we put explosives before, since people complained if we left them in public sight, like RnD) we do have is public access for some reason.
Leri sent something in discord yesterday. I think this is very reasonable, and satisfies both those who want a lobby, and those who don't want the department to turn into a science fair.
While I cannot speak of US timezone shifts, the claim that we are isolationist is also rather unfounded... at least as far as I know, the 'shame basement' usually had a lobby in the hallway in front of RnD. It might not have been much, just some drinks, a few chairs, and a table. Many people frequently hanged out there.
LDip

Postby geis » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:02 pm

This is Darro's player speaking, don't feel the need to stay anonymous myself.

The short end of it, is that I approve of the idea of making a science lobby, but I believe that the way it was done at the moment is pretty terrible. Basically, the main science hallway on S3 was made public access and got a few chairs slapped on top.

This poses a multitide of issues.

One, if someone just decides to waltz in and have a pizza party in the literal middle of the department, there is nothing stopping them from doing so. This is inconsistent with every other department layout that I know of. Where the lobby is just there to be a place for people to 'Wait at the front desk" so to speak, or come when they want something from the department.

Two, there is in several areas only one airlock between a random visitor and getting to sensitive equipment. This includes weapons, mechs, sometimes singulatity generators, places where TTVs and other bombs are typically stored and so on. In fact, I personally had to stop someone random from just waltzing deep into the department by bodyblocking them at the door. Because when scientists are walking around, the airlocks open and stay open for some time. During this time anyone can walk in and do whatever they want.

Three, a complete lack of privacy for anyone working on S3. This of course assumes people are interested in what science is up to, but if they are they can pretty much see and hear anywhere on S3. The only way one can have a private or professional conversation without being overheard by someone who wants to listen is to leave the entirety of S3 unmanned. There is just no where to run to on that entire floor if someone actually wants to use the "lobby"

Now I would be very happy if science got a proper lobby, but making the ENTIRE hallway public access was overkill and a half. Actually making a lobby that makes sense for the needs of the department and other crew would be much preferable. Even something as simple as adding a single access locked door between there the chairs currently are and the rest of the hallway, as LDip pointed out, would be a huge improvement.
geis

Postby Heroman3003 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 pm

I agree with the intent behind the change, however, I very much do disagree with the way it was actually done. Yes, science having a lobby is a good thing. A lobby, not have hallways connecting multiple labs be made public. That's not normal in any of the other primary departments and shouldn't be in research either. I agree that as a whole Research right now is oversized for its purpose, but I believe that feel mostly comes from Xenobio which is way too freakishly huge for something that could just be a single lab. Not only that, but while I also dislike the way the hallways get littered during more active science shift, I also understand why it happens: There's not that much simply convinient 'storing' space in department as a whole, while it needs it more than most. Research Storage wasn't much of a viable storage on older layout, wasn't on previous one and this adjustment didn't change that either. I feel like changing layout by pushing robotics further south to make space for lobby without opening up hallways would have been a better solution for everyone.
Heroman3003

Postby TheDavestDave » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:22 pm

I just thought of a big problem than will need cleared up

Most people belive a department starts and ends at the first access restricted door. And nothing sec can do if someone starts harrasing you in your own lobby. This may lead to shit sec camping outside R and D waiting for someone to print a gun, then arresting them once they try to take it to the shooting range. Because the only thing saying lobbies are in a department is burried somewhere on discord.
TheDavestDave

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:34 pm

TheDavestDave wrote:I just thought of a big problem than will need cleared up

Most people belive a department starts and ends at the first access restricted door. And nothing sec can do if someone starts harrasing you in your own lobby. This may lead to shit sec camping outside R and D waiting for someone to print a gun, then arresting them once they try to take it to the shooting range. Because the only thing saying lobbies are in a department is burried somewhere on discord.

Nothing security can do? Bruh. The lobby is owned by the department, if you're being a shitter in the lobby. You can be charged with trespassing if you refuse to leave and harrassment is still harrassment, resulting in getting arrested again.

However, if there are people legitimately camping outside of RnD to arrest people? Fingers crossed they're doing it for scenes but if they're not. They, the officers, WILL get job-banned and maybe even server-banned.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Postby Kotetsu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:21 am

I'm not a fan of it at all! The lobby part I suppose is kind of nice, but the fact it has a big plus of public access pathways rubs me the real wrong way. Feels like rubbernecking waiting to happen, or a crowd of assistants taking up room in the department.
Kotetsu

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting