Yell at Ace thread

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Yell at Ace thread

Postby Aces » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:39 pm

So to those of you who somehow aren't aware yet, there's a lot of shit happening right now that resulted in several admins quitting.

There are reasons for this for which I am rightfully at fault for. I am in the process of writing up a public statement but until that statement is actually posted, I'm offering this thread for everyone who wants to vent at me.

When I have that statement finished I'll copypaste it here.
Aces

Re: Yell at Ace thread

Postby Kayleen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:40 pm

I'm gonna copy over what I sent to Ace in a DM:

It's been a while since I was active on Virgo and even longer since I was an admin, but in general you always seemed to be a bit out of touch, not all that often playing on the server - but still wanting to step in at times and make sweeping decisions about things without having as good a grasp of the situation as you could've.
The "I'm a dictator" jokes were funny and all, but when your subordinates have a better grasp on the community than you do, liberally overriding their decisions might not be the wisest thing to do.

It kinda sounds like that was what happened this time, so yeah.
Last edited by Kayleen on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayleen

Postby AegisOA » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:43 pm

Ditto. Literally just sent a DM, but, reposting here for the sake of it.
We don't know each other well. I know that.
We, the player population, hardly knows what happened. You know that.
There are a few things I need to say. One, we, the player population, should have known that this was going on much, much sooner, before things boiled over how they are; I don't know if it was just everyone wanting to keep it quiet, or if it was you enforcing some kind of forced lack of transparency, but this "fog" someone else called it is so... asinine. Given what just happened, you can see why it is. I hope.
Two, whatever the fuck just happened is pushing away so many of my friends that I wasn't expecting to see go for a long, long time, let alone today. I don't know what you see (or saw) in them, but, even if some were acquaintances instead of proper friends... I don't like seeing them leave. Some are going on break, some are stepping down... and some are leaving the community entirely, for who knows how long. I hope you realize how heart-wrenching that is. Literally just now, as I'm typing this, "I don't even want to look at ss13 any more". Ace, what did you do? What, and why, did you hurt them like this?
AegisOA

Postby Wickedtemp » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Real talk I don't think you'll take any criticism into account, you'll insist that nobody's issue with you is actually genuine, that people are just salty, people are just mad or "wanting something to complain about". I thought there was genuine progress being made in the thread about staff escalation, but with what's just happened, I doubt its legitimacy.
Wickedtemp

Postby radiantAurora » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:47 pm

To repeat what I sent in DMs:
In all honesty Ace, I don't think you're fit for the role of headmin now, even if you were before. I've seen a lot of times you've been too harsh on people, times you've asserted what you think they were thinking as what they truly were, and now half the admin team just gone.

I know you may be trying your best, but it's also good to recognise that not everyone is fit for the roles they want even with their best efforts, and I believe this is one such case.

If you don't want to listen to me, so be it. But I hope you realise that if you continue as you are, VOREStation may not be as long lived as you hope.

And also giving a +1 to
Wickedtemp wrote:Real talk I don't think you'll take any criticism into account, you'll insist that nobody's issue with you is actually genuine, that people are just salty, people are just mad or "wanting something to complain about". I thought there was genuine progress being made in the thread about staff escalation, but with what's just happened, I doubt its legitimacy.

Ace, I hope you realise the consequences of your actions if you don't pick your act up and for once take the blame for your actions.
radiantAurora

Postby Heroman3003 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:52 pm

This will probably be the douchiest thing for me to say right now, but this situation happening (in way it seems so far at least) came as absolutely no surprise to me. Only thing I was surprised at is when it happened, not that it happened, and it seemed inevitable to me for almost a year now. Though I did expect that something like that wouldn't spill out at least till summer.

As for general venting, I'm not heated at all right now, admittedly. But you said you want to hear all the things people have to honestly say about you... And I believe I will. I think you're stuck in the past. Stuck on that tiny server with few other admins and not that big of a community where your way of leadership works perfectly well. But it just doesn't work with bigger communities. Its not real world, and forcing dictatorship and your opinions overriding those of majority will just result in people quitting. Same applies to big staff teams, you just don't seem like team player to me. Over years, this server shifted and changed a lot... But you, at least from my little-knowing perspective, didn't at all. Your lack of activity is part of it. Every time you get strongly called out on being inactive you get this short burst of activity, but it never lasts long enough for you to actually get a feel for the server the way it is and then you're gone again. Until next time someone rants about people in charge not being part of the community.

Giving up the Host/Main Headmin position is something that should have been done a long while ago. I think you're a great guy. An alright admin. A pretty bad headmin. And an awful host. I don't know what will happen now or how. I harbor no ill will towards you, but if I can be extremely presumptious here. It feels like you were just holding onto it because if you let go, you'd basically be dropping your last meaningful connections to the server's community. But that was going to happen sooner or later anyway, with you still being same old Ace.
Heroman3003

Postby zammyman215 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm

I woke up happier than I've been for a long time, really and truly excited for a little event in-game with folks I haven't seen in a long fucking time and now my Saturday is fucked. If you get this thing canceled because you couldn't put aside some petty personal horseshit, I'm done.

I still don't know what the fuck you did, but I assume you decided to get stubborn and/or ignorant on a molehill to die on and told a lot of people I'm close to (who have actually been here for the years), to go fuck themselves if they don't like your way. You've been more than happy to drop the "My word is Law" in the one or two times I've seen you talk in the last year. I really, really don't want to re-open this page and see you picking apart people's complaints trying to explain why they're "not actually how it is". That's how they see it, and they see it that way for a reason. Maybe find that reason.
zammyman215

Postby LiquidFirefly » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm

Wow, it's almost like admitting that you're wrong doesn't make you any better a person. There's a reason half your staff just quit, and it's the fact that you can't get a grasp on when you're not wanted. Fuck, even your headmins were trying to keep you in check and you just ignored them to the point that they subverted every expectation I had and turned their back. Attempting to be vulnerable and portraying yourself as someone who listens to your community doesn't work when they tell you to leave and you instead have a hissyfit, then step down, then crawl back and demand satisfaction four days later. I'm not gonna spill the beans on what you did, but I'm gonna say that the actions themselves warranted consequence. The way you're treating and trampling over that consequence is what's unforgivable. The action of coming back alone is the most egregious thing you could've done in this scenario, and I hope you're happy with what's to come. If there's anything, anything to take out of this. Quit ignoring what those you have sway over are trying to say to you, and learn to be gracious in defeat. You stabbed a lot of people you couldn't afford to lose in the back today. One can only hope you realize that. They probably aren't coming back if they don't want a repeat of last time. It was fun to spectate, at the very least.

CCA61BF0-576D-4636-BDC6-A8FB29CAB79A.JPG
CCA61BF0-576D-4636-BDC6-A8FB29CAB79A.JPG (33.89 KiB) Viewed 49146 times
I gremlin
LiquidFirefly

Postby KiraAlitruss » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Kayleen wrote:I'm gonna copy over what I sent to Ace in a DM:

It's been a while since I was active on Virgo and even longer since I was an admin, but in general you always seemed to be a bit out of touch, not all that often playing on the server - but still wanting to step in at times and make sweeping decisions about things without having as good a grasp of the situation as you could've.
The "I'm a dictator" jokes were funny and all, but when your subordinates have a better grasp on the community than you do, liberally overriding their decisions might not be the wisest thing to do.

So much of this.

I would've jumped ship right along with the rest of the team if I didn't promise an event for the players the following day.

But back to Ace's raging fucking ego. You said you'd wait until May to come back- what did you do? You returned with a "I'm bored" and immediately wanted to do sweeping changes. Your ego is out of fucking whack mate, you have no sense of how shit should flow yet you bash at people when they correct you. Continuously arguing against several admins, saying "I'm right, you're all just upset" is not fucking okay. You act like a spoiled child in a kindergarten class. Hurling his toys at the others because they didn't do what he told them to do.

I tried to mind my own business because I'm just a GM. But you, Ace, had some of the whackiest fucking ideas buddy. "Don't let people know you can mute them" You mean don't let people know that the staff of a Discord server can MODERATE THE SERVER?! I don't think you ever knew what was ever currently going on in the server. All you cared about was your space engineers and minecraft servers. You let those games influence your view on the ss13 server. And despite being different games, you somehow managed to have drama spill from those two things right into SS13. Ace, had your biases, yes, but then you let those biases develop into actual decisions.

The staff had previously suggested someone else taking over hosting for the server but you declined. Several times, in fact. You said you wouldn't mind giving it up to someone else but look at how that worked out. I can't believe you ever had a chance of running this place because the second you came back everything exploded. I'm not sure, but maybe it says something about your decision making processes, Ace.

tl;dr Let someone else take over because you're horrendously inept, Ace.
KiraAlitruss

Postby AZUCHI » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Ace i get that you are trying to be a good headmin but in all honesty as i can assume youd be a good person but this is not helping virgo youve talked about virgo being this high server above all other vore servers saying they were all made of spite or that you can say stuff. And most of the time when someone would combat anything you had to say or the occasion they had a slight disagreement with you in the discord chat youd ban them and in all honesty it doesnt seem to be healthy for you. Youd also talk about players before that you banned like tempest and said you were happy a certain medical player was banned. Someone else should be the owner.
AZUCHI

Next

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting