Discussion: Reusable/Disposable Syringes

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Re: Discussion: Reusable/Disposable Syringes

Postby James Holder » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:23 am

DrYeehaw wrote:While James's proposal does, yes, make it more bearable, Gazer is also right in that adding such a thing would devalue the whole point in the first place. In lowpop the strategy would be legitimately "Use Hypos to never touch syringes". Because whether or not James's point can be interpreted as such, the logical outcome would be it being used as a workaround to the change, albeit not 100% efficient.

However, having said that, if that's the suggestion, why stop there? Hyposprays actually seem sci-fi oriented enough as is, why not just have enough for us to use normally and just ditch syringes? If we go for realism and believably, it'd only make sense for the station to use up to date tech rather than old crusty needles. I'd accept that as a change.

In seriousness though if we need at least something to mitigate it, it shows that the system is flawed.

Good point. People would probably join as SAR for the hyposprays and do regular medbay with them.

Also, once again, the current implementation of the syringes is bugged, and they're brutal if you make a mistake, worse than doing surgery without washing your tools even.

I regret even suggesting expedition stuff for SARs since my main point got sidelined over it.
James Holder

Postby Wickedtemp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Update:

So, while I'm personally able to tolerate the syringe infections, I'd support its removal. I personally have fun with the syringe case and chances are I'll still use it and dispose of syringes if this is reverted.

But it's annoying to a lot of people and gameplay is more important than realism. It doesn't add anything to the game that you can't simply do yourself, like James, who's been disposing of syringes long before this change was ever done.

You could think of ways to circumvent the change by adding new items. New tools. Because we don't have plenty already. And other commenters bring up a decent point - if its so annoying that it warrants new items just to make it slightly less of a nuisance to some people (I say some, because others will still be annoyed) then maybe its better off reverting. We've had it ingame for a few months, had plenty of playtime with it, so I think it could be voted on.
Wickedtemp

Postby Scree » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:52 am

At the very least they should transmit viruses if your dumb ass uses the same needle on an infected person as an uninfected one, but for that we'd need some viruses that weren't even more horrible to have to deal with than infections are, or maybe have asymptomatic carriers or something that'll only come up if someone uses a needle on them and then someone else. We stopped doing virology events because they're only fun for the virologist.

Reuse on same patient, sure. Keeping the same grody-ass needle behind your ear with the cap off and walking around the station with like fifteen people's blood on it is what the feature was meant to discourage.
Scree

Postby LiquidFirefly » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:34 am

Or, alternatively, we don't keep the annoying fix for the thing that wasn't broken, and stop suggesting shitty replacements. Why not make surgery implements disposable and not reusable at that point. All this path leads to is more pointless tedium we dont need for the sake of "muh realizum"

Here's the workaround, "Veymed has recently developed mechanical syringes using some sort of living metal, procured and researched from an undisclosed source. It forms and sharpens itself back into the shape it holds after it's initial treatment, and it naturally sterilizes itself by slowly destroying specified forms of biological material, such as specific forms of bacteria, and human blood."
Fucking easy. Small lore change > Game impacting stupidity
I gremlin
LiquidFirefly

Postby Wickedtemp » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Honestly, we don't even need a work-around. There doesn't need to be an official concrete reason for the syringes not infecting people outside of "they self sterilize or whatever /shrug".

It's what we used to do, it's what polaris still does, it's what chompers does, pretty sure it's what bay does, it's what colonial marines also likely does. I haven't ever seen them struggle to come up with a reason for it outside of "Well, I'd imagine it'd kinda suck to deal with it sometimes."

So... nah, we don't even need lore for it, just like how we didn't need lore for it for the past 3-or-so years I'd been here before that change. It was just "syringes can be re-used" and that was it, and.. it worked.
Wickedtemp

Postby Nanaki » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Scree wrote:At the very least they should transmit viruses if your dumb ass uses the same needle on an infected person as an uninfected one, but for that we'd need some viruses that weren't even more horrible to have to deal with than infections are, or maybe have asymptomatic carriers or something that'll only come up if someone uses a needle on them and then someone else. We stopped doing virology events because they're only fun for the virologist.

They already do. But this almost never happens because viruses are super rare, quickly treated, and because super-infections have made it impossible to use syringes on multiple people.

Reuse on same patient, sure. Keeping the same grody-ass needle behind your ear with the cap off and walking around the station with like fifteen people's blood on it is what the feature was meant to discourage.

If that was the case, than infection should only be happening when a syringe is reused across multiple patients, however, the 'dirtiness' rating of a syringe starts ticking up the moment it is used, which can cause an infection even if the needle was used on no one else. If what Aro told me was correct, it ticks up by 1% every 2 seconds. The way it will work mechanically since the PR was merged... is that any percentage below 10% is automatically counted as zero percent, so while there is a 20-second grace period, as soon as it ends, it starts at about 10-11% chance of infection.
Nanaki

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:39 am

Wickedtemp

Postby JakkSergal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:11 am

Just giving my two cents. I don't support the current syringes and prefer the old ones. So much so that I've stopped playing medbay entirely.
JakkSergal

Postby James Holder » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 am

Nanaki wrote:
Scree wrote:At the very least they should transmit viruses if your dumb ass uses the same needle on an infected person as an uninfected one, but for that we'd need some viruses that weren't even more horrible to have to deal with than infections are, or maybe have asymptomatic carriers or something that'll only come up if someone uses a needle on them and then someone else. We stopped doing virology events because they're only fun for the virologist.

They already do. But this almost never happens because viruses are super rare, quickly treated, and because super-infections have made it impossible to use syringes on multiple people.

Wait. The old syringes already transmitted viruses? Are you sure? That kind of makes them more realistic than the current ones, considering that if I got stuck by a dumpster needle, I'd be worried about getting AIDS or Hepatitis, not a massive, fatal infection like you'd get from having most of your skin burnt off or getting bitten by a komodo dragon.
James Holder

Postby ktccd » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 am

I guess all you would need is diseases that are:
A. Not super-easy to detect and immediately cured before spreading
B. Not a plague.

I had a vague memory of being told virus events are disabled 'cause space viruses are pretty nasty, rather than normal things like common colds.
ktccd

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting