future suggestion: xenobotany vore plants.

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

future suggestion: xenobotany vore plants.

Postby warbrand2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Just a suggestion for the future in xeno botany, even though it isn't here yet would be cool to have a few vore baced plants people in xeno botany can grow. these would be extremely danagerous in their base form but can be mutated in ways to be useful

concept example

venus man trap
info: a native plant to a small moon around the sergal home world these plants are capable of trapping and dissolving a person in minutes. though they do not have a long reach and do not care what they eat.

works: does not require water or nutrients in soil instead eats things for nutrients easiest way to care for is to feed a monkey, has glowing fruit that can be harvested while it digests prey. this fruit can be eaten or used for mutating the plant.

mutating: to mutate the man trap one must simply put plasma and a mutigen in the fruit then plant.

mutations

harming
faster digestion: requires more food but produces more fruit more likely to snap up the botanists
monkey loving: will not attack anything that isn't a monkey.
longer reach: can snap up things at angles instead of just in front of it.

neutral
none digesting: this type doesn't need anything and will let things out after eaten
rainbow fruit: fruit that when eaten can do one of many things from shrinking to growing, to even turning a person into a mouse for a bit.

helping
healing acid: acid only harms monkeys now, and heals anything put in it. (can be used as a healing pod)
metal fruit: fruit can be cut open to give ore (fruit is grey)
plasma fruit: fruit when when blended turn into a plasma powder (fruit is purple)

no clue how mutations in plants work but how they would work for this one is you get a chance of a fruit mutation and misc mutation. example you can have a healing acid one that has metal fruit but first you need to have had a none digesting one with metal fruit. yeah not fully thought out.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Re: future suggestion: xenobotany vore plants.

Postby Arbon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Most of those suggestions would play havok with preferences, especially if someone can secretly put an AFK person next to a gurgly plant and not have it show up in the attack logs. But that does just mean its on the same level as Xenobiology slimes. Except xenobio slimes are kept under lock and key, and there are weapons to fight them, and they die off after a time if left alone.

Just get sprites to a plant with a mouth and give it code similar to Runtime's in which it snatches up people under a certain size. Simple, easy, it doesn't have to digest. If you wanted dangerous plants that snap you up and digest you then those should be either treated as a dangerous entity and not simply left to sit in a flower pot, or they should be on a robust away mission.
Arbon

Postby warbrand2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 pm

the xeno botany will be under lock and key and plant b gone should kill it from inside or out... hell just poison a monkey with it and dead plant.

these plants would be in xeno botany only not regular botany don't think regular botany should have any way of getting them besides breaking into xeno bio.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby Aces » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:22 pm

Admittedly a venus fly trap or other carnivorous plant would be interesting if we could code it. I just haven't the damnedest clue how yet.

We'd just code them as we planned to code vore mobs. If hostile, and digestion on a player is set to off, they won't try eating you. Just bite the shit out of you like normal mobs.
Aces

Postby orbisa » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:28 am

If I had to do something like that Ace, I would probably look at Runtime's current code, don't give it movement, and look for sizes medium and smaller.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby warbrand2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 am

could that be spliced with the mushroom plant code, and set up to where if it has something in it, it replenishes the nutrients in the soil?
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby orbisa » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 am

I guess, dunno who is going to take it though...
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:53 pm

The way it would have to work is you'd need to harvest something then re-plant it but not in soil. Attach it to the floor. Then run.
Aces

Postby warbrand2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:06 pm

I would suggest that it work sort of like the cow plant from the sims.. with the player harvesting either a liquid or a fruit.

in the case of the liquid could have it so it uses a spore based seed meaning fill spray bottle with it and spray on location want to grow... spray bottle would have to be mostly empty

in the case of fruit see idea above.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby orbisa » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:32 pm

Aces wrote:The way it would have to work is you'd need to harvest something then re-plant it but not in soil. Attach it to the floor. Then run.

Oh, kind of like space vines?
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting