[creature concept] xenosect

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

[creature concept] xenosect

Postby warbrand2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 am

ImageImage

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1v2ij47m60jcg31/xenosect_start.rar (the lore file in spoiler bellow-spell check + the sprite file)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bzh640j4xdh93w9/xenosect_colony.dmm (a map file for their hive, I do not think I did well but it is a start.)

In this post I propose a new mob type the xenosect. this is a large ant like creature native to the moon that v.o.r.e is based on. bellow is the lore document posted in full.

[+]
Alien species: xenosect
intelegence: varies.
Height: varies.
Location of origin: unknown.

Basic info: the xenosect is an almost tauric insect that lives in colony structures ranging from 5 to 100 units. These insects are known to feed a phoron and living matter, as well as breed asexually, with all members of the hive able to change between male and female genitalia at will.

Sub types

worker(darker one in dmi)
size: about 3 feet tall, 4 feet long and 2 feet wide
colony interactions: workers collect food and dig tunnels they are also passive to all around them it is noted that gaslamps easily prey on these ones.
Diet: phoron and carbon.

hunter(no sprite)
info: a larger worker with 2 large claws coming out of its back instead of wings.
size: 5 feet tall, 6 feet long, 3 feet wide
colony interactions: hunters, huntdown biological food for the colony to help feed the queen, they are capable of eating things many times their size hole but are not capable of digesting anything other the phoron, their stomachs have been known to heal phoron poisoning. Though use of a wild one to do this is not recommended.
Diet: phoron.

Honey pot (sprite with visible xenoslime)
size: same as hunter
colony interactions: honey pots are mostly inert sitting in a solitary area and being feed phoron and living matter to turn into a xenoslime, xenoslime seems to be the main food source of the creatures outside of raw phoron, as such the honey pots are like living vending machines to the colony.
Diet: anything it is fed.
Note: the honey pots are one of two members of the hives that are known to have a high intelegence, as they have been known to talk to explorers that inter the hive generally warning them of when the hunters come. They are also known to absorb prey that do not wish to convert to matter for the hive to release safely outside the hive later.

QUEEN(the ligher sprite)
size: 23 feet tall, 25 feet long, 10 feet wide
colony interactions: queens are the main intelegence behind a colony both creating new xenosects and by ordering the colonies interaction. As such research teams where able to get comprehensive date sets on these creatures, through communications and some more practical experiments.
Diet: living mater, phoron, hive workers when food is low.

Research notes

colony life

The xenosects work as a sort of hive mind, they do this through a mix of pheromones and some sort of mental communication network, said network seems to only extend through their hive with the queen aware of anything their colony sees. In dialog the queen interviewed described it sort of like our NIF systems but with a physical limit.

As for living in the colony, honey pots and queens are allowed to do anything with in the colony so long as they please, while workers and hunters only do their jobs eat and sleep. This is do to the workers and hunters having relatively simple brains the workers are only able to understand simple tasks and will in fact die off quickly if they can not retain connection to the hive, while the hunters are more like feral wolves that are controlled only through the link of the hive is a hunter leaves a hive it will try to survive or find another hive, it is noted that the queen offered the exploration team a few hunters for pets and dissection.

For the morality of a xenosect hive they believe that the individual is worth only their part, the more important that part the more important that being is to the hive. Though they do have a rudimentary understanding of human culture they believe that it is a short sighted way to live as one dying just means their part needs to be filled.

Reproduction

Xenosects reproduce in two ways either a honey pot or hunter is tasked with impregnating the queen who then lays a set of eggs, impregnation being fatal to the xenosect used. Or more commonly a creature with sufficient biomass is taken into the queen and converted into a clutch of eggs, they generally only create a single egg if making a new honey pot or hunter.

From notes gathered in interviews with the queen they can allow a converted being to retain their memories and wants but tend to only do that rarely and normally it is a grim process as the being has to be mentally rewired anyway.

DIET

Most xenosects live on a diet of pure phoron in its solid form, they are able to collect it two ways, the most common is workers dig through rocks and search for it, while the least common is to have honey pots sit outside the hive in a phoron environment as phoron environments are rare that way of gaining their food is rare as well.

The raw phoron that is mined is brought to the honey pots to be converted into xenoslime the main food source and interior liquid to the xenosects. This liquid is normally inert but when a charge is put through it the liquid is able to double or triple the energy of the charge. As such the liquid makes a great power amplifier. If ingested by a human the liquid acts as if a common energy drink though it is said to taste really bad.

Honey pots and Queens how ever are also able to eat normal food and proteins. It is noted that both seem to like their food a live and hole. The process of digesting their food varies depending on the xenosect from quick absorption into their slime or in the more extreme cases to be cut down and processed by internal creatures they call scuttlers. Scuttlers seem to be an advanced digestive organ designed to breakdown the toughest of prey for the most part the xenosects tend to use them purely for dealing with phoron or prey that has harmed the hive.

BIOLOGY

xenosects at first glance look like an extremely large insect, and their biology is similar to such. For example their mouths have two large pincers and a long snake like tube lined with teeth this tube depending on type can stretch from 4 feet wide to 10 feet wide in all directions.

They are also noted to have 2 large pencer legs on their front torso that each contain a powerful nero toxic agent that can be used to either incapacitate or subdue prey generally this toxen is not used do to the fact it requires a xenosect years to make enough for one injection though they can decrease that time by ingesting and disassembling a being about the size of a human. Something the research team learned the hard way.

Also on the torso is two large insect wings which have a shell like quality, said wings are capable of only short 2 or 3 minute flights on the larger ones like the queens, but on the workers they can fly for hours before needing to land.

Internal biology, unlike any other known race the xenosects internals are free floating in a mass of what they call xenoslime, said slime acts as their digestive enzymes, food, blood, and all other bodily fluids but waste and sexual fluids. Inside this slime one would find that only the brain, eyes, shift sex organs, and stomach are fixed in location with the hearts, respiratory agents, scuttlers, and other unknown organs free floating.

Of the fixed organs the stomach is the most prominent with the workers and hunters only having one in the lower abdomen designed for storage and basic phoron extraction. While the honey pots and queens have 2 an upper stomach for storage and a lower for processing and absorption of matter.

The idea for these things would be they would have a nest near mining said nest would allow workers access to the surface both in the mining area and the solar charger area. these things would act like ants normally with workers searching for solid phoron, and hunters guarding workers. the workers are dumb though and will not fight back if you attack them, and in fact gaslamps easily prey on them. the hunters would act like any other retaliate mob only attacking if the player attacks them or the workers around them. Though it is known that hunters will try to eat things smaller then them (generally micros) but if one does this you should not panic as it will clear the body of toxens after a few moments and likely spit up the prey so long as it is not needed to feed the colony(no queen).

As for player interactions, the workers are none vore mobs, the hunters are endo mobs, and the honey pots are absorb mobs. the queens which are admin or player created only (like a white list) are all three vore types + the ability to egg and turn prey into an inert egg filled with their xenoslime.

As for their use, the xenosects can be harvested for their chitin, and xenoslime (requires the crystal jars in the DMI), the chitin can be broken down into raw carbon and phoron, while the xenoslime works as a high energy battery or energy drink. (slime would feed humans and recharge synths with more energy for recharge going to synths and borgs)

these things are just ants, but their colony is a complex structure, simple in concept and execution but is open for several things. like the queen as a player creature or admin mob would be a good RP creature especially as they are in concept just as smart as people.

EXPLORATION EVENT. this would be the event to introduce them to the world.
[+]
Event start

SOS via coms
This is the titanus we are in need of an emergency evac if anyone reads this please respond the, the captain is dead and we are stuck in the cantina there are things all over the place please someone respond.

message loops until exploration crew goes out.

the ship: the titanus is a repurposed colony ship repurposed as a trash fraiter. the ship is about the same size as the upper 2 levels of the tether. and has a large open cargo hold in the center that has 2 walkways accross the top.

exploration mission rundown.

start: teh exploration shuttle docks at a northern docking bay on the ship, there they will find 2 dead humans in cargo uniforms. and a few strange insects wondering around doing nothing. from here the players have a peaceful area in the rear of the ship, in which they will find the engine room which is fully powered, the ships cantina which is locked and filled with 2 survivors, and 4 access points to the cargo bay.

the cargo bay: 50% of the ship is this two floor cargo bay designed to hold a lot of trash, there for it has a lot of unsecured walls, piles of trash, and just random junk, inside it though is a large cluster of eggs and xenosect hunters. these hunters are hostile unlike the ones that end up on the moon later. as their have has been dislocated, and the queen is really angry.

the front of the ship: on the front of the ship the players will find the dorms, bathrooms, an armory, and a mech bay holding 2 riplies.

the bridge: the front most part of the ship only has access from the top floor, but you can only get the door open through a manual overide on teh bottom which means going through hunters (an engineer can bypass most combat on this away mission.

the bridge fight: for the event it would be a player playing the xenosect queen, and could end peacefully with the queen establishing a nest on the moon, or it can end with a fight and her jettisoning cargo and venting the ship. saving her hive and sending eggs down to the moon.

WHAT IS NEEDED

+sprite for the warrier
+worker and queen to be scaled the queen needs to be at teh 200% size while the worker at the 50%
+belly sprites for the queen, hunter, and honey pot
+all the coding
+the map for their hive(mine sucks), which would just be a simple cave that has branches, an egg chamber and a honey pot chamber.
+ a map for the exploration event.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Re: [creature concept] xenosect

Postby Scree » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am

I don't know who you've been talking to, but people have started praying to play with these things even though they don't exist.

I don't know if they saw the player who's character you based this idea on and assumed WHOA THEY'RE IN ALREADY or what.
Scree

Postby warbrand2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 pm

likely saw the player that I based this on, not my fault people went overboard.... guess that at least means people think it is a good idea.

Damn even when off server I am causing chaos by mistake.

if some one prays for it just drop a gaslamp on them for now.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby Scree » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 am

Well, there are lots of reasons they could want it, ranging from "I actually think it's a good idea" to "I want to be fucked and eaten by an ant". I wouldn't read too much into it, just chill on the "OH BOY THESE ARE TOTALLY GONNA GET ADDED" 'cause I've not even really had a chance to read over the full proposal and figure out if it's even close to something I can feasably code.
Scree

Postby warbrand2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

I haven't said they will get added if anything, I have told people they likely will not as it needs work I can not do. But to be safe I will stop mentioning it in the discord and just stick to working on it here.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting