Set Character Size

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Set Character Size

Postby VerySoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

On "But what if my size changes and I don't want that??"

I think a verb to reset your size to the one you spawned as would be a more productive deterrent. It could still be abused, sure, but it would combat random size changing griff.

As for the set size verb itself, I don't really like it, I think there are better solutions.

What if there was just a vendor, or a booth or something, you step inside or interact with it, set size, poof? That way people aren't just changing randomly for no reason, but it's also super easy and available to everyone who wants it. Make it so if you want to change size anywhere, you need one of the presently existing items.
VerySoft

Postby Dhaeleena » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:56 am

I'd like to remind everyone that every time someone used to Verb to change sizes we admins got a message so we could check on that person and know exactly where they change size to know if they were abusing it or not, we also get logs for every gun being shot, that includes shrink rays. And we really Never had any problem with the Verb existing. Its the other way around, things were easier with the verb and now that the verb is gone i am getting complaints and problems from players.

I can think of a thousand items and other hundred IC ways to change sizes, But it doesn't matter how many craps we add to change size it will still hinder scenes the exact same way i said on my last post. "Add a machine" "Add a soda that changes your size" Then still everyone that wants to have a scene with size changes included is still forced to modify and wrap their scene around those items and they are unable to come up with their own fluff ways in their private scene, Like people has been able to freely do for about four years now.

The only people i have ever seen really Abusing the resize button have been Stupid obvious griefers that have been Pbanned shortly after arriving station.
Then you have people that used it but didn't read the prompt so we just poked them and then they stopped
Then you have new people
And the two above of this message are not even 'abuse'
And then you have people that used it for the convenience of easing scenes! If making scenes easier for everyone is a crime now then put me behind bars.
I dont think people knows what abusing the resize button really is and talking about people changing sizes all the time when i have never seen anyone actually doing that, Someone abusing the resize function was someone changing sizes constantly, In public, In the middle of a ton of people, Changing the size for fun or for no reason, That was abuse and that was something that barely ever happened. You could find someone that every now and then could use the verb while alone in a hallway to make themselves tiny, Cuz they knew they needed to do this for an upcoming scene, A device would be better for this situation if you have one at hand but this situation wasn't frowned upon by us. Everyone seems to be thinking about the abuse the verb that existed for four years with little to no abuse could bring back if it was re-added, And i find that silly since 'we' are the ones that take care of abuse of features and the like, If the verb was actually being abused as some people make it look like, it would have been removed long ago, Like the drider webs!
Dhaeleena

Postby Zap-zapper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:43 am

Dhaeleena nailed it. The main point of set character size is scenes.
Zap-zapper

Postby Aces » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:09 pm

The reason it got removed was ultimately because players who are usually rule abiding players started abusing the ability to change size to gain an unfair advantage in PvP combat scenarios. We keep punishing players, and it keeps happening, so the pattern needs to be stopped by eliminating the root cause.
Aces

Postby Dhaeleena » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

They can still gain said same advantage by just using one the various in-game items that instantly change your size with little to no drawback ace.
Also we all were told several times the verb was removed because we have several new ways to change sizes now
Dhaeleena

Postby orbisa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Wouldnt it make more sense to just add more ways to change your size, if the ones mentioned arent enough?
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Dhaeleena » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Let me explain myself again. We could have 15 items to change sizes instead of 5, hell say 20. As i said on my previous post it doesn't matter the mount of items we have available, The problem i am showing on my posts will still be present, And if we create some item that Anyone can get from the load-out, That can be used at any time to change sizes, Isn't that the same thing as the verb but in item form?
Dhaeleena

Postby Zap-zapper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:02 am

Some scenes are really tough without that verb, so...please, either bring it back, or give "Sizeshifting" trait to character, or a shrink ray in a loadout, or anything. Implanting NIF is not always possible, materials for a shrink ray is not always available, and so on.

No, really, I am tired of asking admins of giving me a shrink ray, because we just...can't freely resize our characters anymore.
Zap-zapper

Postby Aces » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 am

Dhaeleena wrote:They can still gain said same advantage by just using one the various in-game items that instantly change your size with little to no drawback ace.
Also we all were told several times the verb was removed because we have several new ways to change sizes now

Yea, but now they have to get the items first, rather than just suddenly use the ability because they can.
And no, you all were told several times that we removed sizechanging because it was abused, and so we added a bunch of ways to change sizes in-game otherwise.

Zap-zapper wrote:Some scenes are really tough without that verb, so...please, either bring it back, or give "Sizeshifting" trait to character, or a shrink ray in a loadout, or anything. Implanting NIF is not always possible, materials for a shrink ray is not always available, and so on.

No, really, I am tired of asking admins of giving me a shrink ray, because we just...can't freely resize our characters anymore.

Sizeshifting trait could be interesting. Part of the issue (though a more minor one) with size shifting at will is most characters shouldn't have the ability at all. Humans, Tajaran, Unathi, etc, none of them should be changing size, because none of them have that ability.

On the other hand, a Promethean would probably have that ability.

Likewise you could create a custom species and include a little blurb about it in your description. "John Doe is a Agmasian from the planet Agmasia! His species are known for the ability to change their size if frightened or angry." Not only does this suddenly fix immersion issues, but now a player who encounters you is prepared for the chance you could change size.

Godmoding is the abuse of abilities out of nowhere that you didn't have before. Godmoding was a real problem with the size changing mechanic. Turning it into a trait or forcing players to use items eliminates this problem.
Aces

Postby Zap-zapper » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:00 am

Add shrink ray in the loadout. This should be cool, for now.
Zap-zapper

Previous

Return to General Discussion