Polaris Map

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

How do you feel about the Polaris map?

The map is good as-is.
21%
The map is fine with minor tweaks.
41%
The map needs a major overhaul.
38%
I want a different map entirely.
No votes

Total votes : 29

Re: Polaris Map

Postby Tasald » Tue May 10, 2016 9:52 pm

I like the idea of haveing a coffee shop deprecate from the bar, it's like with the science break room, if you'd rather chat about work or in a calm but still public area you could go there, where as the bar has a disco floor the screams party central. Though keeping all these places near each other would be ideal, instead of haveing all the common spaces on different sides of the station.

I do have some concerns of the security department...but I'll wait untill I've played a few games to hash them out. I still like the new map as a whole, but it is rather intimidating in size. Also the general staff get really freaking nice apartments >.>
Tasald

Postby Scree » Wed May 11, 2016 7:19 am

I am going to echo Arbon's sentiment about having more than one place to congregate being handy. There's been more than one occasion that I've seen someone that's open to being prey, in the bar, when I'm up for actually predding on 'em, only for any chance to be thwarted 'cause over on the next table there's another couple of people sitting there and chatting and absolutely zero chance to grab 'em - and they can't go anywhere else 'cause there's nowhere else to go that is ever actually checked.

Also gives the scenehunters somewhere else to go looking instead of thirdwheeling on people who are talking to each other and leading up to a scene :p
Scree

Postby JoanRisu » Wed May 11, 2016 1:59 pm

I prefer the coffee shop be left alone. I like the space, it's small and comfy.
JoanRisu

Postby Dhaeleena » Wed May 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Scree thats why we have a library and several Lobbys and several other rooms.
Dhaeleena

Postby arokha » Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Vorrarkul wrote:So, can someone tell me about the elevators? Do we have some sort of pseudo multi-level thing going on with z-levels and 'shuttle' elevators?

Pretty much, yup. The elevators are just shuttles, but fluffed to be elevators. I think they renamed the console on one of them and forgot on the others. But, yes, the R&D, Engineering, and Mining outposts are like, different layers of the asteroid. I mean, that's how it's mapped anyway. The engineering construction site is a giant level of rock engineers can play in, as it's easy to pressurize spaces, so they can go build the MEGABAR, or whatever.

It's all fluff, there's no mechanical difference. It's the same z-level setup as we have now where z1 is station, z2 is centcom, z3 is con site, z4 is ... something. Uhh. What is that one again? And z5 is mining/R&D.

EDIT: No, right, z1 is station, z2 is centcomm, z3 is tcommsat, z4 is engineering, z5 is R&D/mining.
arokha

Postby orbisa » Wed May 11, 2016 6:19 pm

You know, you could have all the civilian rp zones on one side of the station so people that are so concerned with space and places being used could just... ignore that wing.

The pool, the garden, the coffee, the guest appartments, the holodeck, even the bar, the library and the chappel could all go there
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby arokha » Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm

orbisa wrote:You know, you could have all the civilian rp zones on one side of the station so people that are so concerned with space and places being used could just... ignore that wing.

The pool, the garden, the coffee, the guest appartments, the holodeck, even the bar, the library and the chappel could all go there

Emperor Jon on Polaris is apparently redoing the entire civilian sector right now. We'll see if he finishes before we finish porting items!
arokha

Postby Molenar » Fri May 13, 2016 5:53 am

so i have a question/idea as far as how this is constructed, as to the pockets of asteroid surrounded by station structures. If the base was built inside the asteroid rather than just on the surface, it could be reasonable for those inner areas to have some degree of pressurization from the get go, whereas if it was considered to be built on the surface, that would become impossible until it was fully filled with construction of station.

guess i'm asking how does it work?
Molenar

Postby orbisa » Fri May 13, 2016 6:07 am

On Eros(Polaris codebase) we got once a spider invasion, since we have the random events activated. The aftermath of that resulted into breaching the walls glass next to the asteroid floor, after a bit, the alarms went off and that sealed asteroid turf was walkable, so it looks like they are simulated areas that start with 0kbp, but can be filled with station air.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Arbon » Fri May 13, 2016 8:36 am

I’ve just thought of something that rather closely relates to the discussion of rebuilding genetics. Have you ever seen the sniper rifle or the binocular items, things that when activated lock you in place but greatly expand your vision range? What if make that the default ability all characters are expected to have by virtue of being human. Open up a special powers tab and click a ‘look around’ button that expands your view for as long as you aren’t moving, and readily toggles back.

The logic being this is a big map, a really big map, with a lot of comments toward how utterly terrible a map this large is for such a small community. You’ll never be able to find people, you will have to walk too far and skip right past people lounging in areas you were too far away to check. If people are expected to be able to look past farther than 30ft and instead gaze into the horizon as if everyone had binoculars, suddenly you can see enough of the map to spot where people are. Then just go towards them until you are within the normal vision radius, which also happens to be speaking radius. It won’t do anything in regards to the time spent walking of course, but finding other players becomes less of an issue and special awareness is more viable without just getting X-ray vision.

The lore and realism behind it, humans have good eyes. Really good eyes. Ridiculously unfair eyes that act as if they belong on a bird instead of a mammal, able to see in much greater clarity and at a far greater distance than any mammal can expect to have. Vision dominates every aspect of a human’s senses, being blind is an innate fear for them, it is the primary sense they have. And most other creatures of the same scale have eyesight that pales in comparison, often focusing on smell or hearing instead. This idea makes this a mechanical reality, where having human level vision allows you to see into the distance … and if the concept of minor powers in genetics is applied, then trying to get something else would mean trading away that expanded range of vision. Ordinary humans become the prime choice for looking off into the distance, people with echolocation don’t have to worry about darkness or walls.

If mapping is much easier than I think it is I suppose simply shrinking the map is a simpler proposition, but take a look at the area with binoculars and see how gorgeous it is when you can readily look at more than what’s immediately in front of you. The ability to tilt your head up so you can look down the hallways just makes too much sense.
Arbon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion