Move to Polaris Codebase

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Would you be okay changing codebases? (read the post)

Yes, I would be fine moving.
80%
I am indifferent.
10%
No, I would not be fine moving.
10%

Total votes : 51

Re: Move to Polaris Codebase

Postby viveret » Sat May 07, 2016 1:12 pm

I like the codebase. The map, not so much. Doesn't fit our server's population well.
viveret

Postby Aces » Sat May 07, 2016 1:26 pm

viveret wrote:I like the codebase. The map, not so much. Doesn't fit our server's population well.

I'm more than willing to build a map from scratch if need be, or at least port the old map.

I think the new map can work with some alterations to reflect our population.
Aces

Postby arokha » Sat May 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Aces wrote:I think the new map can work with some alterations to reflect our population.

I'd rather do this. It can be done in-character by engineers. I'm for waiting 2 weeks after moving to let engineers build things, screenshot them, and then we can map those in if the playerbase supports the change.

It'll also give time for someone to make a change, see it, and then be like "You know, I like their idea, but [...]" and then modify it somehow, rather than us just immediately putting the first idea in.
arokha

Postby Scree » Sat May 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Yee, scree gets to build shit.

And it strikes me as way less of a pain in the backside to dig out an area on the asteroid than it is to try and leap from the engineering outpost to the construction site on the current map. Especially trying to haul crates over there. There's a reason why I always nicked one of the teleport beacons for that sort of stuff.
Scree

Postby arokha » Sat May 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Arokha wrote:Also in my experience, even in huge areas, people congregate anyway.

Look at ETA and VH chats. People are all in one room even though there are four/five. The other areas don't get use. There's no 'I couldn't connect with anyone' business because if someone walks into a room by themselves and are looking for people, they are not inclined to just sit there by themselves. Unless they DO sit there by themselves in which case they need perhaps a bit of guidance in how to connect with people.

Additionally look at Second Life, where you have a whole sim of some club or whatever, and yet most people are in one spot, because 'that's where the people are', and people just sort of merge into groups like that.

I suspect, even if we don't touch the map, people will all gather in one spot because people have magic people-gravity and will just bunch up when they are seeking scenes and not doing station work.

Something I mentioned in the admin chat earlier.
arokha

Postby Serkii » Sat May 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Seems like a good idea to me, o: I'll have to do a lot of learning though.
Serkii

Postby ArgobargSoup » Sun May 08, 2016 4:09 am

If the new codebase runs better, then I'm all for it. Anything ta further counteract my terrible terrible ISP. :P

And, I have ta admit. That map there? It does things to me. I wants it. I needs it.

Nah seriously, it's makin' me wanna learn mappin' so I can reverse engineer it fer my little personal /tg/station server. :P

Although... I do have a couple suggestions.

1) I'd de-combine the Escape area with what I'm assumin' is the arrivals area down south there. Because that is RIGHT NEXT ta the engine. If that thing delaminates, welp, there goes escape, time ta clowncar inta the last two escape pods.
1a)Could probably link it ta the hallway that leads ta the Chapel. There's a good chunk of empty asteroid up there ta the right of the pool that could be carved out fer an escape bay, and it's a good distance from the engine.

2) It looks like the normal brig cells and Perma were combined? And said "perma" seems a bit easier ta escape, even if said escape would be a bit more public. (Although that probably doesn't matter with all the RP focus.) Would you believe I've never been down the security wing on the current station?

Aside from that though, yes yes yes. All them big public areas. All them twisty maint corridors. All that delicious space ta expand into. Even a hidden revamp-yer-own-bar! So many places to go! :D
Last edited by ArgobargSoup on Sun May 08, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArgobargSoup

Postby viveret » Sun May 08, 2016 1:04 pm

If we get dorm rooms and a hotel we need maids and an innkeeper.
viveret

Postby arokha » Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 pm

ArgobargSoup wrote:time ta clowncar inta the last two escape pods

Moving the shuttles is next-to-impossible, but, the station has two lifeboats which seat a total of 20, in addition to six escape pods which each seat 3, plus the cryo shuttle, which seats as many people as you want to freeze, as cryo is a shuttle that undocks and leaves when you escape.

I think you'll be fine. ;p
arokha

Postby ArgobargSoup » Sun May 08, 2016 6:16 pm

arokha wrote:
ArgobargSoup wrote:time ta clowncar inta the last two escape pods

Moving the shuttles is next-to-impossible, but, the station has two lifeboats which seat a total of 20, in addition to six escape pods which each seat 3, plus the cryo shuttle, which seats as many people as you want to freeze, as cryo is a shuttle that undocks and leaves when you escape.

I think you'll be fine. ;p

Got a version of the map that shows where those lifeboats are? Because the only place it looks like you could have lifeboats around that size is in the bottom of the map, along with 4 of the escape pods. Said area bein' right next ta the engine and pretty much screwed if delamination happens, if what I'm readin' about delamination is true.

Though, does the cryo shuttle actually undock durin' the escape sequence? Because that alleviates a lot of my concerns. Another location ta clowncar survivors into. :P
ArgobargSoup

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion