Move to Polaris Codebase

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Would you be okay changing codebases? (read the post)

Yes, I would be fine moving.
80%
I am indifferent.
10%
No, I would not be fine moving.
10%

Total votes : 51

Re: Move to Polaris Codebase

Postby Nightwing » Tue May 10, 2016 7:24 am

ArgobargSoup wrote:Well, if ya enjoyed remodeling and stuff, take a look at all that delicious empty space in the asteroid. Borrow a pick from minin' and ya got quite a lot of space ta hollow out and make new rooms in.

That's all well and good, but explicitly relies not only on there being miners on board, but also on them being willing to lend you THEIR tools, on you having to go to another department altogether just to do something covered by your own department, on you drilling into a depressurised, oxygen-free environment in order to construct at all, and on the CE being active and providing his blueprints so the room can be officially assigned and the atmosphere system won't break. You wouldn't get those issues with existing abandonned rooms, like our current ones!

ArgobargSoup wrote:So you'd rather run all the way ta the back of engineerin' ta fetch a suit ta fix a breach elsewhere in the station? :P

Fair point :P

ArgobargSoup wrote:"Artificial satellite" and lore implications... would hollowin' out an asteroid, buildin' in it, and draggin' it into the orbit occupied by the previous station count as an artificial satellite? And the VORE part of the name stands fer "Virgo Orbital Research Establishment". Asteroid's still orbitin'. We're stationed on it. :P

As an astronomy student, I can think of all sorts of reasons why that wouldn't work :P An asteroid is far more dense than a space station, for instance. Just placing it in the same location as the current station is a great way to destroy all life on the planet below as the asteroid hurtles down and collides with it! The increased mass requires the asteroid be placed in a much more distant orbit, and even then needs to be accelerated around the planet to even begin orbitting in the first place. Why go to the effort of dragging a huge asteroid into a distant planetary orbit and propelling it around said planet when it'd be so much cheaper to just continue making space stations? And if we're orbitting so much more distantly, or even no longer orbitting the planet at all, what's our lore then? Presumably (and from memory) there was a specific reason we were put in orbit around that planet. Now we're not. So what're we doing there?

ArgobargSoup wrote:I'm lookin' at the map fer the current station and I'd like ta point at the pretty much walled-in engineering shuttle. Not enough space fer it ta maneuver in from any direction other than vertically.

Eh. I almost never use our current shuttles except the cargo, escape and mining shuttles. So what if the issue exists in our current map? It doesn't change the issue, or the fact that it looks wrong to me :P

Dhael did a pretty good job of explaining what I feel is wrong with the size of the map.

Apologies that I can't respond with a few paragraphs of my own, Arbon, but what you've said makes sense.

Ace, see the big paragraph above for the implications of moving to an asteroid base rather than continuing as a space station. Suffice to say, changing the name would be the least of our worries!
Nightwing

Postby arokha » Tue May 10, 2016 8:17 am

Nightwing wrote:Hokay, I've got my own set of gripes about the map, if you'll entertain me to complain a while longer :P

I've heard the OPPOSITE of some of your issues from other players, heh. Like for example, Scree said the CE's office is the design he rearranged the office into (mirrored) when he played CE since he thought it was better. I've also heard players say NO scenes happen in the bar, while you say most of them do, so.

Which is why I say we PLAY on the map first. Also though it looks big, it doesn't really feel big when playing on it. I suggest you set up a test server and walk from one end of the current station to the other, then do the same on this one. Since it's smoother, you can get pretty much anywhere faster.

Also Xenobio is in the R&D outpost.

Also the rectangular shuttles are elevators.
arokha

Postby arokha » Tue May 10, 2016 8:22 am

Nightwing wrote:An asteroid is far more dense than a space station, for instance. Just placing it in the same location as the current station is a great way to destroy all life on the planet below as the asteroid hurtles down and collides with it! The increased mass requires the asteroid be placed in a much more distant orbit, and even then needs to be accelerated around the planet to even begin orbitting in the first place.

That's not how physics works. The density of an object has no effect on the orbit, and an object in orbit will not change that orbit unless acted upon by an outside force.

If you put something in orbit with a SMA of 2,000km it will remain with that SMA of 2,000km.
arokha

Postby orbisa » Tue May 10, 2016 8:29 am

Just a tiny mention, Engineering HAS round start drills, to destroy rock and continue expansion if needed.

But at the end of the day, it's a map, Virgo has quite decent mappers and will be able to pull off a new map faster than we could, still, I believe you guys should give the map itself a chance, I do agree with some of the proposals made for the medbay though.

I am more interested to see if Virgo will implement the teshari as whitelisted or not, if anything becouse they have short sight and thermal vision, and have 50% health and get hallucinations if they aren't near people.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Dhaeleena » Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 am

arokha wrote:I've also heard players say NO scenes happen in the bar, while you say most of them do, so.

Most scenes doesnt happens in the bar, they START in the bar, the bar is one of the more inportant places in station, is where you go when you are any kind of civialian personnel, is the point of reunion of everyone and is were you go to see WHO is active and who you might be able to scene with, if i have to wander through giant ass hallways, giant ass departments and more than one common area to just find 1 possible scene partner that might not even fit me im going to get crazy. In other case, i really Dont like the place being on an asteroid, i dont know why we cant just remove the asteroid and leave space, it wouldnt change much at all.
Dhaeleena

Postby arokha » Tue May 10, 2016 9:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=674

I made a thread for the map in particular, since this was sorta supposed to be about the codebase. Only brought up the map since it was one of the two changes with moving. Let's talk about mapping in this other thread, that way we can keep all the ideas in one place rather than throughout this thread between other comments about mechanics or other stuff.
arokha

Postby orbisa » Tue May 10, 2016 9:38 am

Another feature quite a few players here will like is that you can eat organs now.

Help intent, target the mouth, and then use the organ. It will turn the organ to a food item (no longer valid for transplants) and give you some blood of it (if you aren't compatible with the blood, careful, it will give you a bit of toxin damage)
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Tue May 10, 2016 9:44 am

orbisa wrote:(if you aren't compatible with the blood, careful, it will give you a bit of toxin damage)

That's a bit dumb and unrealistic. I'm going to probably alter that.
Aces

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Tue May 10, 2016 11:48 am

Aces wrote:
orbisa wrote:(if you aren't compatible with the blood, careful, it will give you a bit of toxin damage)

I'm no doctor, but realistically you do get sick from standing around munching on human anything, let alone raw internal organs.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby orbisa » Tue May 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Demicus_Maximus wrote:
Aces wrote:

I'm no doctor, but realistically you do get sick from standing around munching on human anything, let alone raw internal organs.

To be fair, the whole vore system would suffer if you would need to apply realismn to it...

On the blood issue though, it's related not to the organ comsumption but to the whole blood drinking issue, with the whole a b positives and stuff... Considering medbay always has -O blood, and that we could have all players get +ab blood, removing the whole toxin check from the blood seems sensible, unless you can make it so if it's ingested, splashed or breathed it doesn't affect you.

Edit: Also, this code has something very !FUN! happening if you get a singulo and the SME togeder.

Hint: it ends the round after 5 minutes.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion