Move to Polaris Codebase

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Would you be okay changing codebases? (read the post)

Yes, I would be fine moving.
80%
I am indifferent.
10%
No, I would not be fine moving.
10%

Total votes : 51

Re: Move to Polaris Codebase

Postby Aces » Mon May 09, 2016 11:05 am

Well we can fix the shitty medbay layout ourselves.
Aces

Postby arokha » Mon May 09, 2016 12:01 pm

orbisa wrote:Do remember that some of the code virgo uses is already ported (and in some cases upgraded) thanks to the Eros team work, so while the Vore system will need to be ported, a good chunk of the work is already done in our codebase.

Yeah, I noticed that they took, in particular, my micro sprites and the resizing code NW did, among other things.
arokha

Postby arokha » Mon May 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Emperor Darksider wrote:I've spent a few minutes writing this up while looking at the possible new map.

About a few of your points:
  • Scanner consoles are nonblocking now so you can stand 'on' the same tile. Looks like you're actually using it instead of standing 2 feet away, so you don't block on that side, at least. There are 2 tiles of walking space on either side. Should be fine, even moreso if people develop the habit of standing BETWEEN.
  • I'm not really sure surgery storage being there is that big a deal. I've never even seen people use it on our map, so 'sharing' one is probably fine. The fact that it's across the hall is a bit 'eh' but, again, never seen anyone use it.
  • The exam room being there is a bit odd. Maybe storage and the exam room can be swapped. That way, the receptionist who is probably a nurse, can be called to help with the exams and whatnot.
  • Genetics is removed in all Bay-based codebases as far as I'm aware. When we updated to our current one, we had to re-add it ourselves. Polaris has already asked for it, if we readd it in a more reasonable way. As it is, I already hear on a regular basis complaints from people about the job, how bad the little random minigame is, and how generally people just give themselves powers and then go mess with people every shift.
  • Yeah the morgue is megahuge. We can maybe push cloning or add genetics to take up the top part? I've, at most, seen 3 bodies in the morgue on our server.
  • I think the size of the breakroom is fine, BUT, those 3 rooms... cryo, breakroom, bathroom are in the wrong order. Cryo could be behind cloning, or where the breakroom is, with the bathroom on the left and breakroom on the right, etc. Basically the bathroom being on the right is dumb. Should be left so people waiting for scans and other things can use it.
  • I think reception with 1 door will be fine. Medical staff can go the EMT route from the south as they come to work and go places.
  • I'm not sure what you mean about the second entrance being medstaff only. That's how it is on ours. The EMT office is right there, and that door on the left is med staff only. Also the ones running THROUGH the EMT office should be... the EMTs.
  • Psych is a bit of a sham yes, but there's room to add to it.

Overall though, I really want to play on the default map for a week so EVERYONE playing can suggest things, and so we can see how many people think what needs changing. Predicting you won't like something before using it is bad, imo.

Let's do it for 1-2 weeks, then make all our changes. I also think they should probably be done IC. It's easy to pressurize areas on the asteroid.
arokha

Postby Nightwing » Mon May 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Hokay, I've got my own set of gripes about the map, if you'll entertain me to complain a while longer :P

Engineering
So, starting from the top:
  1. The construction area by the door? But why? You have to go into engineering to get your tools, then come back out again to build in it? Also noticed that the other abandoned rooms we've had around that area on our current station which I quite enjoyed remodelling.
  2. The engineer's lockers replace the old engineering dorms, which facilitated many a good scene in my memory. The left wall could be shifted back a tile or two into the rock face and the lockers (which I'll come back to later) can be moved elsewhere.
  3. The CE's office is tiny now (although the HoS, RD and CMO all seem the same size if not bigger than previous), and has no back room. Although the door to the south is a nice touch, the emergency button is DEFINITELY wrong. We want that to be one of the easiest things for the CE to reach. He doesn't want to be running around a desk and all the way to the back corner of the room while the supermatter delamination countdown rings in his ears. It could be moved elsewhere to increase the size, though.
  4. The equipment room. There's not particularly anything wrong with it, but it could be swapped out with the CE's office to give him a more central position and a larger office, converting the old office and the construction area into a new equipment room, and moving the lockers in with it so that all the engineers' equipment is in the same place. Then the area above the break room can be successfully changed back to a dorm.
  5. Why are the space suits nowhere near anything even remotely spacey?

Science

Actually nothing all that bad here except that the mechbay could possibly be shifted up to allow a nicer route into the department. Oh yeah, and the staggering lack of any and all xenobiology-related stuff means I wouldn't be able to play Queenie any more :(

Civillian/Catering

1. Okay, first and foremost, why the hell are the bar and dining area now two separate entities? That's where the majority of scenes are put together. Dispersing people between the two may prove counter-productive. Besides, the bar and the kitchen are two closely related jobs. Put 'em back where they're supposed to be. Use the extra space for something more useful.
  2. There are cyborg chargers in the diner. Right next to the area where food is served. Real hygienic.
  3. Put the cargo shuttle where the mining equipment is and the mining equipment where the cargo shuttle is. That way the cargo shuttle comes in right next to the mailing room, where the cargo is actually needed, and the miners aren't at all inconvenienced.

General

1. This is a fucking enormous map. Interactions may be adversely affected by the spacing between departments and the size of the entire map. Just thinking about how sec guards would have to walk for two minutes or so to even reach their department from the shuttle... Ugh.
  2. THIS IS NOT A SPACE STATION. This is an outpost (or a base). We couldn't rightfully call ourselves a space station as those are defined as "A spacecraft [/] an artificial satellite designed to remain in low orbit". We couldn't refer to ourselves as "vorestation", or "the station", or anything "station"-y. We'd be "Vore Outpost", or "Vorebase".
  3. No matter how you look at it, there are some really heavy lore implications for this map.
  4. The fact that almost all shuttles on the map are designed to take off vertically (ie out of the screen without moving in the two visible planes on-screen) irks me. It's the first direct reference to there being a third dimension, which feels incredibly strange in a game depicted previously entirely in two dimensions.
Nightwing

Postby ArgobargSoup » Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Wanted ta chime in on a couple of points here.

Nightwing wrote:Engineering
So, starting from the top:
  • The construction area by the door? But why? You have to go into engineering to get your tools, then come back out again to build in it? Also noticed that the other abandoned rooms we've had around that area on our current station which I quite enjoyed remodelling.

Well, if ya enjoyed remodeling and stuff, take a look at all that delicious empty space in the asteroid. Borrow a pick from minin' and ya got quite a lot of space ta hollow out and make new rooms in.

Nightwing wrote:
  • Why are the space suits nowhere near anything even remotely spacey?

So you'd rather run all the way ta the back of engineerin' ta fetch a suit ta fix a breach elsewhere in the station? :P

Nightwing wrote:
  • THIS IS NOT A SPACE STATION. This is an outpost (or a base). We couldn't rightfully call ourselves a space station as those are defined as "A spacecraft [/] an artificial satellite designed to remain in low orbit". We couldn't refer to ourselves as "vorestation", or "the station", or anything "station"-y. We'd be "Vore Outpost", or "Vorebase".
  • No matter how you look at it, there are some really heavy lore implications for this map.

"Artificial satellite" and lore implications... would hollowin' out an asteroid, buildin' in it, and draggin' it into the orbit occupied by the previous station count as an artificial satellite? And the VORE part of the name stands fer "Virgo Orbital Research Establishment". Asteroid's still orbitin'. We're stationed on it. :P

Nightwing wrote:
    The fact that almost all shuttles on the map are designed to take off vertically (ie out of the screen without moving in the two visible planes on-screen) irks me. It's the first direct reference to there being a third dimension, which feels incredibly strange in a game depicted previously entirely in two dimensions.

I'm lookin' at the map fer the current station and I'd like ta point at the pretty much walled-in engineering shuttle. Not enough space fer it ta maneuver in from any direction other than vertically.
ArgobargSoup

Postby Aces » Mon May 09, 2016 3:01 pm

All being on an asteroid would do is change our official moniker from NSS to NSB.

I do think the elevators are stupid but I can fix that.
Aces

Postby Arbon » Mon May 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Okay, first and foremost, why the hell are the bar and dining area now two separate entities? That's where the majority of scenes are put together. Dispersing people between the two may prove counter-productive. Besides, the bar and the kitchen are two closely related jobs. Put 'em back where they're supposed to be. Use the extra space for something more useful.

There are cyborg chargers in the diner. Right next to the area where food is served. Real hygienic.

I rather like the idea of the kitchen being its own separate place and mostly empty save people who wish to do actual eating. Which on a vore station means eating each other. The bar and kitchen are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER in the same way they are close by with out current station, its simply that the scale of the map and the size of each room means that "right next to each other" is still a considerable distance away. But the counter-arguement that people being away from each other means scenes won't happen is a decent one, after all everyone likes multi-vore sessions and nothing ever goes wrong when two people are trying to scene while next to several uninvolved people. You will only have boredom if every player is too far away and have to constantly search to find anyone, or sit down and be bored until someone else who's searching finds you. Keep the crowd together, have one place designated as a social area for everyone to congregate to.

So then why is there a complaint about more people being in the same area at the same time you complain about people not being in the same area? For a synthetic, the charging station is food. Having a single area for everyone to gather their energy source, be it an outlet to plug into, a bright light to stand under, or direct processed bio-fuel coming fresh out of the oven, is exactly the reason you want the bar and kitchen to be together. The borgs and synthetics should not have to leave a social area and sit in dead silent loneliness for four minutes because their batteries got low, put their charging station right next to everyone else's because of common sense.

Its not like having an outlet for the food processor or the refriger are somehow "unhygienic" because its a machine next to the food. You aren't loading up on oil when you get into the charger, its ELECTRICITY. From an outlet!
Arbon

Postby JoanRisu » Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I kinda ask myself what the functions are for the cafeteria is and what the functions are for the bar. What I came up with is that the cafeteria seems more like a place just to get a bite to eat during break and move on, not necessarily to sit and hang out for long amounts of time. The bar on the other hand I see as the primary hang out location because when I usually think of a bar I think social hangout that may have high energy. (Or med-low because no one spreads out to talk.)

Does that mean I don't agree that they should be together? No, but at the same time when I think about why they were separated in the first place, it makes some sense. We already call our bar-cafeteria combination on the current map as just "The Bar," and I don't know about some of you but I only really acknowledge the kitchen half when my character is mechanically hungry and sludging along because the nutrition meter is low. Most of the time, everyone is sitting at the bar socializing and probably looking for their next not-kitchen-made "meal."
JoanRisu

Postby ArgobargSoup » Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 pm

I'm a bit curious now. Do any of the other z-levels have any significant changes?
ArgobargSoup

Postby Dhaeleena » Tue May 10, 2016 1:24 am

In all honesty, my thoughts on the map? I dont like it, at all. It has -some- things i -like- but nothing else, i find it needlessly BIG and massive, in all honesty, i don't like it being an asteroid. The 'station' can grow in all directions, with asteroid or with space, being surrounded by space instead of rock is the same, expansion will be the same. I see all the points Nightwing made and i share them, i feel the station is too big and will just difficult interation, as -will- do having two separate common areas, Our server isnt some massive 60+ constant pop wich this map looks like with its big department, i can only imagine our average 4 medical people working on THAT medbay even 1 or 2 some shifts, and our even lower security that doesnt even exists some rounds.I feel like i couldn't call the station a station anymore but i should call it Colony or Base with that map. I feel and i can visualize a lot of changes that could be done, things could be put closer together a lot more and rearranged without the need of taking away place for expansion, pretty much all departments on this map have walls or something that goes directly into space or the rock...anyways. My point is, in short, Map: Too big, Needlessly big in most aspects, not good for interaction and our pop size.
Dhaeleena

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion