Acceptable use of guns.

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Acceptable use of guns.

Postby orbisa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 pm

When is it aceptable for a character to use a gun? I am no talking about Security officers, but those that were granted permisson for one. I want to know, when it is acceptable that they aim another character in game with it, or acceptable that they use the gun and shot another person with it?

I ask this to admins, but make this thread public so the answer is seen, I don't come here looking for justifications of permit holders, nor this is a personal attack, just that I see that it is becoming problematic the handling of weapons to non admin controled characters, and causing division and friction as of late, with some characters having an special status even when off duty.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Re: Acceptable use of guns.

Postby Aces » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Well it's hard to define outright except the obvious, which is "Don't start a fight someone else doesn't deserve."

But that's fucking vague so I'll just explain how I use them ICly when playing Ace or any security. Jarome is another story but Jarome is a crooked asshole. So let's focus on legitimate use of firearms--as I see it.

Here's situations where Ace has used his weapon in less-than-lethal force, usually stun rounds, since they are even less damaging but still effective.
- Some cockhead just ran from security. If you got tasers or stun rounds, use 'em. Go nuts.
- You're being openly threatened by someone who has or you have good reason to suspect has a weapon--such as rogue security. I don't care if they only have melee weapons. Your goal is to NOT be in hitting range but still be able to engage if they try something. Ace has employed this, and so has Jeremy, on several occasions--usually dealing with security who refuse to turn in their ID and weapons because "BUT WOT I DO WRONG? I ONLY BEAT THEM INTO CRIT. BUT THEY WERE DOING GRAFFITI. I WAS ENFORCING THE LAW AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO FIRE ME." And despite me explaining, "Actually, yes, I do," they continue to protest until I go "Okay fuck it, you wanna do this the hard way? Turn over your weapons, or I shoot you, take them from you, and throw you into a jail cell for unlawful possession of weapons. Because you're already fired."
- Hostage situations. Ace likes the Soviet style of handling hostages. Blitz the fuckers hard and fast. 3 terrorists, 10 hostages, 13 body bags. Mission accomplished! ... Sort of. Okay this is one of Ace's more flawed uses of his weapon but it's only had to be used once.
- Outnumbered. If you're facing at least 2:1 odds, have your ranged weapon ready, because you can probably neutralize one before the second reaches you.

Now let's talk about lethals...
- Ace uses lethals once the threat has already established its self as willing to seriously harm and potentially kill him or his crew. Ace doesn't even load lethals in his gun unless it's code red or a gateway mission. Usually he doesn't even carry them.
- ... That's about it. I can't think of another good scenario where I'd use lethals.

Also if it's already code red, expect security to be using lethal weapons by default.
Aces

Postby orbisa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Okay, makes sense for most admins to have them, but why players?
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:38 pm

orbisa wrote:Okay, makes sense for most admins to have them, but why players?

I don't understand the question. I don't grant myself special permissions as admin to run around with firearms. I followed this same personal ruleset before I was admin.
Aces

Postby orbisa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Hrm, okay, I think I understand now the logic, thank you for the answers Ace!
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Return to General Discussion