Is Security just too complicated to play?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Is Security just too complicated to play?

Postby Aces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Whenever we need more staff in something I just put out the announcement that "Hey, we have openings here. If you want, come change jobs." HoP can't really force anyone to change jobs.
Aces

Postby Scree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Aces wrote:If I walked in on Scree scarfing down some screaming bunny girl in the maintenance corridors, it'd be pretty character breaking to not at least stop and ask, "Scree, dafaq you doing?" And if I hear muffled screaming... "Screeeee... Drop it. Bad Scree. Drop it."

> scree and bunnygirl in maintanence
> scree not the one being eaten

But yeah, a shift not too long ago, Scree stumbled into like three scenes in maintenance entirely by accident. In literally every case, he responded in-character by just... stepping over them and continuing on his way. Admittedly there wasn't any screaming for help going on.
The best one was the pair that decided to play nookie in main disposals when the monster decided to flush the garbage. They got some funny looks from the monster as the mass driver and the disposal chute and so forth made their deafening klaxon noises, like "guys, c'mon. the locker room's more private than this."

Essentially the rule as I always interpreted it was not to go out of your way to interrupt anything. If someone's having their scene in such a public and well-travelled area that people stumble into it when just doing their jobs, then they can't really complain when those people react ICly, but if a sec officer sees the shutters down on the meeting room or the kitchen and immediately makes it their mission to check up on it in case there's something happening, that's a problem. It's hard to make a hard-and-fast rule here because it'd have so many clauses and subclauses and conditions and exceptions as to be impossible.

Basically don't go validhunting/timerhunting.
Scree

Postby orbisa » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:46 pm

With Kerena Wile the problem ends when the flashbang grenades run out, the real problem begins when a person that was banned from security gets it again, and the abuse returns. Is there a way to see 'X' was banned from security before giving it the job?
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Scree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:00 pm

jemli wrote:I would also help define which areas would be considered public and which are private, since aside from the dorm rooms, it's really kind of a grey area.

Anywhere in plain sight of a primary corridor is pertty unambiguously public, and you don't really have much expectation of privacy in any area that doesn't need ID to get into. That's not to say that just anyone should feel free to pile in and third wheel if they see you eating someone on the holodeck and decide to be all "me next!" or whatever, but if you're having an unwilling scene somewhere that exposed then you should probably hide better. Most jobs have their own department areas that are pretty secluded and at least out of sight of the main areas.

Most of the time the grey areas are when xray, thermals and cameras come into play, and people start getting nosey to look into things they otherwise wouldn't be able to see - use these to spot vanilla crimes, sure, but really, you should know what a scene looks like. Two people standing next to each other motionless for an extended period, usually one or both of them cuffed and/or naked? That's pretty obviously an RP scene.

Now, I have noticed some people, when they get bored, start wandering along the primary corridors, opening the doors to the emergency storage rooms, then wandering off if there's nobody in there. I'm wary of saying that's okay 'cause they're kinda going out of their way to look for things at that point.
I've likewise had a few occasions where Scree's been building a maintenance lair only to have the detective or HoS just wander in - in these instances Scree's just ICly told 'em to bugger off and knock next time before setting the door to CE access only. Same principle - no crime had been reported, or in fact committed, but the sec officers decided to barge on in anyway.

Essentially, think of it as a combination of expectation of privacy and not being allowed to conduct random searches in code green.
Scree

Postby Aces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:26 pm

Xray and thermals is a violation of company privacy policy and security shouldn't be allowed to have either of these things outside of an emergency. Shame on science/genetics for giving this out if they do.
Aces

Postby warbrand2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 pm

sec needs some stream lining never played it though that is more because I play micro's which are a bad fit for sec.

The problem with security is it is the most demanding job on the station as you can't just do your job then wonder off to do fuck knows what... It also is not vary tolerant of new players in security or high RP people cause events involving security tend to be more action or talking people down.

Think sec needs some stream lining in gear and job... they are security but most tent to just be there.

I have some suggestions but I doubt any are good.

suggestion one: make micro and macro tolerant
right now security is not micro or macro player tolerant for obvious reasons when it comes to combat. while yes a macro player can get more done a micro is mostly useless. So I would suggest giving gear to sec specificly for that.

example putting security suits in for micro players which act as a "mech" that is the same size as a normal person. would have to have its own rules for use like they can only use it if combat may occur.

as most the problems with sec are the combat system other then giving "gear" not much that can be done here

suggestion two: make a rule of vore
ok this is the main problem security players either don't want to ruin other peopls scenes or are to eager to do so. so there should be a rule on vore. for example lets add a poster in sec which stats the followinhg

see some one being eaten, watch, look , listen
If they are not struggling, asking for help or the pred seems to have none hostile intent do not interfere but if any one of these looks hostile or like it will end the crew man break it up. also ask them to head to a room if need be.

suggestion three: restructure gear
right now: sec doesn't have the best gear to deal with the stations problems while yes most of it would and does work for event problems or the rare spider infestation there is nothing for them to deal with vore situations or even the vore holding ability.

so for this I suggest adding gear for the vore based characters and events

gear ideas.

puke stick: an upgraded stun stick, stuns user and forces them to puke up contents of stomach, works against Oral and anal eaten prey only.

bio scanner: allows one to scan a pred to see how many if any preys they have eaten. only tells if they have eaten some one not who they have eaten. (can tall number of beings in stomach, number of beings digested in last 20 minutes, and nothing else)

bio monitor: (two parts) an ankle bracelet used for detained subjects has a modual that connects to PDA shows health of subject. Highly useful for monitoring the help of a prisoner who has been eaten as punishment instead of being held in jail.

No predation in public signs: these signs would be put along all main halls and in the bar security would be allowed to interfere with none willing events in these areas. note bartenders would be allowed to eat bar paitrons if unruly but no other predation would be allowed in the bar.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Postby Atlantean » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 am

As Someone who almost exclusively plays security, I have quite quite a few experiences with complicated Security. I do have to say in defense of the complication this server's strict Security play makes it a great way to learn sec procedure. Under the threat of multiple job bans while I was learning how to play Sec I like to think I've gotten proper procedure down very well to a point that it helps on other servers. I do not think that the strict rules have made Security unfun to play though, as I have had many good experiences playing sec with many other people on this server.

I do have to say sometimes it Can kill one's enthusiasm to play which I've not only experienced but seen in my fellow Security players. The worst of which is when we are scolded because someone assuming we'd be no fun allowed or shitcurity when we were either just passing by or did not know the whole situation. The Latter of which is a very common occurrence on all Servers not just this one. Security Members cannot metagame and they do not see everything like the admins do often times (this goes for both Vore Scenarios and normal Scenarios) they have to make judgement without all the information. Good Sec will however get as much details at they can but it is not always possible to know everything. (and we make mistakes too).

My opinion on the matter is that the complications for Security on this server aren't all bad. A whole lot of good comes out of them even though they cause some frustration. One thing I'd ask though is to maybe be a little easier on us. People who play Sec are human. I do believe for the sake of the pred we should be restricted but unwilling noms in public areas are frustrating to us. not entirely sure how that should be handled. looc seems like a good compromise although it is rarely used. Although I'd as for a little bit more leniency if we fuck up, its discouraging to immediately be hit with a job ban threat. Job ban threats seem to come to easily to security and that is what is most frustrating about playing it.

As for why I haven't been on the server I'm waiting for the next update and then I'll come on regularly again or at least I plan too
Atlantean

Postby Aces » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:39 pm

https://wiki.vore-station.net/Rules

Updated the rules because the old rules were shitty about this.

Notable changes:
- Made it more clear when you're allowed to interfere in unwilling scenes. It boils down to IF THE PERSON IS CALLING FOR HELP, YOU CAN INTERFERE. No fine print. No "except in a dorm" or anything. Black and white. Clear and simple. If they call for help, you can get involved.
- If they don't call for help, don't fuck with the scene. Pretty simple, right?
- If you're prey, ask your predator in LOOC if you can call for help. Also predators should remove things to call for help and not complain when their failure to do so results in prey calling for help.
- Predators shouldn't brag about their catch over the damn radio, especially if willingness is vague. Don't get mad when people demand you to spit someone out.

Unrelated new rule:
- If you're not doing vore, do your jobs. Not sit in the bar all day long.
Aces

Postby Dhaeleena » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:35 am

Vorrarkul wrote:Honestly, as someone who has played security... I have little problem with (avoiding) breaking scenes. Whether my compatriots are too nervous to ask LOOCly or not is a different matter. But for me, the problem is when it ISN'T vore-related. When people are running around, hacking into places, stealing things, and all in all I read them as not interested in/not compatible for vore scenes, that I get the most annoyed.
While, yes, some officers need to be less oocly terrified of scene breaking and use LOOC more often, my experience has been troublemakers who DON'T want a scene at the end of the chase that aggravates me and makes me not want to play so much security anymore. Though to be fair part of this is because Rylee is not the kind to do justice voring, which is part of why I took her out of security. To be fair yet again, maybe the troublemakers should pay more attention to who they want to catch them and get scened with before running around and causing general antics. Complexity isn't the problem in itself, for me at least.
As for solutions... I don't know, frankly. I'm just here to give my opinion as someone who used to do sec a lot.

I'm totally with that, i have no problem on 'breaking' into a scene if its needed, the problem is that people commits crimes...just for the sake of it and not for a scene or something like that, seriously most of the persons i have to brig for stealing stuff breaking to heads offices stealing hardsuits and the list goes on and on and on, they do all of that just..just because they are bored and when they get catch you look like the bad guy for 'ruining the fun' when you are doing your job and enforcing the law, its just doesnt want to make me you want to play too sec much when you are running a daycare were everyone does what they want because they want...i have heard the response to the question "WHY?" with a "because i wanted" like..i dont say people should stop being silly...but some people are doing some big crimes for no reason.
I mean yea you got a cloaking device, i will let that pass but i better not recive calls for some ghost in a department you should not be, thats fine..but dont go around with a shotgun you got in contraband, dont leave the cmo's and the cheng's office hacked open, be smart about it or dont do it! ;) be silly! not annoying for sec...it feels bad to have to brig people for 15 to 30 mins..but yea you shoundt have broken into the vault/brig/captains office 4noRaising
Dhaeleena

Postby Aces » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:58 pm

Security is, on every server, a big babysitting job sometimes. There will be idiots you have to deal with I am afraid.

However I've cleared up the rules on those things hopefully, and added new rules to protect against people who go on sprees. I might also tweak Space Law to say that if a person is habitually getting into trouble, they should be detained until end of shift. Right now only a Captain can authorize that and it's still not technically allowed even though it should be.

If someone is habitually being a problem though, admin PM us, because chances are we're already on their case and are just looking for a reason to kick them for the rest of the game.
Aces

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion