Is Security just too complicated to play?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Is Security just too complicated to play?

Postby Aces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:53 pm

So since we've gotten back from our weeks long downtime, we've not had as many players on as we did before. While I expected this drop in population, some of my admins have cited a lack of events and overly complex rules OOCly for security.

I'd like to revise these rules and policies. Security is no easy job but I don't want to prevent security players from being allowed to do their job. How can we fix this? Does anyone have ideas?

The current policy boils down to "don't bust up scenes" but that isn't specific enough so I've tried adding a bunch of fine print to it and really all that seems to have done is confuse people. Let's start over. The goal of the rule is to stop security from breaking up private scenes, but I don't want to entirely stop security from doing its job if someone is crying for help or if the scene is taking place in the middle of the bar or in another very public area.

I also don't want to deny players, especially predator players, from doing things that are against the law. Break a window! Steal something! Get into a fist fight, I don't care! As long as you're not blowing holes in our station, I'm not banning anyone over this stuff. The lack of nonsense right now is actually a little bit boring so let's correct that.
Aces

Re: Is Security just too complicated to play?

Postby Tasald » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:59 pm

I don't really think there's a problem with, that rule, its the implantation with sec officers that is where it gets 'fogged'. if the scean was being done in private and no one called for help, I personally just turn around and leave if it was some thing i happened to walk onto. If it's a scean, and no one has called for help, you should either walk away, or looc first, before asking icly whats up and just batoning some one because you just 'happened' to walk into the middle of their post where one of them was doing the unwilling prey part with ou the mic.
Tasald

Postby Scree » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Yeah. Personally I don't mind people occasionally breaking into places (especially for vore, obviously) as long as they don't take it to ridiculous levels and don't complain if security arrest them for it. There are plenty of ways to be a general rascal without being griefy about it. Obviously if you're going around hardwiring the engine and electrifying all the doors it'll be an issue but as long as you don't trash the place or render someone unable to do their job by decompressing the mining station, it just makes things more interesting.

I'm honestly surprised nobody arrested/ate me that time I monkeybombed every destination on the disposals mailing system, I was totally asking for it.

But really, if something is happening in a public place, or is called out over public radio, security shouldn't feel hobbled in responding to it. Sure it can be a little annoying if the time spent having a one-on-one chat results in the entire sec force gearing up and doing tacticool positions, or else all flooding into the one room because someone decided to yell on the radio first and RP second, but that's not something the sec guys can be expected to handle.

Really, the only thing that's an issue as far as I'm really concerned is if they tool up with xray/thermals/allaccess and go out of their way searching for scenes to break up, and the like.

also PEOPLE NEED TO LOOC MORE. I know some people are hardcore arrpeers, or used to the scrictly-no-oocky-icky policies of action servers, and somehow treat OOC direction of how you're prefer the RP to go as some sort of dirty concept. If someone busts in on a scene and you don't want it bust in on, just speak up about it! If you stumble across one, ask the other players. There's really not a lot that can't be handled with just a lil' LOOC.
Scree

Postby jemli » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:10 pm

I'd definitely make it clear that if there's an unwilling scene going on in a public area, security can bust the scene, and furthermore, reprimand any LOOC comments against the sec officers doing so. It shouldn't have to be that sec does nothing when there's a unwilling scene in the bar just because the players involved asked to be uninterrupted because they're posting slowly. At the same time, I would also help define which areas would be considered public and which are private, since aside from the dorm rooms, it's really kind of a grey area.
jemli

Postby Aces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Tasald wrote:I don't really think there's a problem with, that rule, its the implantation with sec officers that is where it gets 'fogged'. if the scean was being done in private and no one called for help, I personally just turn around and leave if it was some thing i happened to walk onto. If it's a scean, and no one has called for help, you should either walk away, or looc first, before asking icly whats up and just batoning some one because you just 'happened' to walk into the middle of their post where one of them was doing the unwilling prey part with ou the mic.

Admittedly it's hard to play security sometimes if you've bumped into a scene completely unintentionally as a security officer (or anyone else for that matter). My general rule for it is, "If the victim is asking for help, you can help."

If I walked in on Scree scarfing down some screaming bunny girl in the maintenance corridors, it'd be pretty character breaking to not at least stop and ask, "Scree, dafaq you doing?" And if I hear muffled screaming... "Screeeee... Drop it. Bad Scree. Drop it."

If you stumble on a scene completely by chance, a lot of the "give some time for the scene to play out" is invalid. If you're calling for rescue anyway, some things have probably happened between security running to the armory and grabbing their gear, and security actually showing up, and the predator swallowing their victim and maybe scurrying off to hide.
Aces

Postby orbisa » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:15 pm

What About blueshield guards? or detectives? I seen Heads ordering the former to act as security officers, so, what's the word of god on that? Same would go for HoP...
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:18 pm

orbisa wrote:What About blueshield guards? or detectives? I seen Heads ordering the former to act as security officers, so, what's the word of god on that? Same would go for HoP...

Okay now this is a big problem.

SoP says Blueshield officers and Detectives and the Warden aren't supposed to act as normal security officers. They each have their own dedicated jobs.

I should rewrite the SoP to better clarify this. Right now it says they can't be making arrests but more often than not they're the only ones available to make those arrests or they just happen to be the first responders. Blue Shield does a good job of knowing when not to care, but sometimes they have to get involved.

The Head of Personnel should piss off. That isn't their department. If they need security, they are the one job on station beside Captain who can just assign more security.
Aces

Postby Tasald » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Aces wrote:
Admittedly it's hard to play security sometimes if you've bumped into a scene completely unintentionally as a security officer (or anyone else for that matter). My general rule for it is, "If the victim is asking for help, you can help."

If I walked in on Scree scarfing down some screaming bunny girl in the maintenance corridors, it'd be pretty character breaking to not at least stop and ask, "Scree, dafaq you doing?" And if I hear muffled screaming... "Screeeee... Drop it. Bad Scree. Drop it."

If you stumble on a scene completely by chance, a lot of the "give some time for the scene to play out" is invalid. If you're calling for rescue anyway, some things have probably happened between security running to the armory and grabbing their gear, and security actually showing up, and the predator swallowing their victim and maybe scurrying off to hide.

See, I did that in the past. I'd be walking through maint and some of the less traveled areas that are on the station, because that what I think good sec should do, not get drunk in the bar all shift, anyway, stumbling across a scean where some one muffles something about 'please stop' and ask, 'oie the hell is going on here?' after which I would address it icly how I figured Tas would, an till I get admin poked say I need to not be so serious or to lay off of people, so I got tired of it and stopped trying unless the call was on my pda or over public chat.
Tasald

Postby Westfire » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Aces wrote:
orbisa wrote:What About blueshield guards? or detectives? I seen Heads ordering the former to act as security officers, so, what's the word of god on that? Same would go for HoP...

Okay now this is a big problem.

SoP says Blueshield officers and Detectives and the Warden aren't supposed to act as normal security officers. They each have their own dedicated jobs.

I should rewrite the SoP to better clarify this. Right now it says they can't be making arrests but more often than not they're the only ones available to make those arrests or they just happen to be the first responders. Blue Shield does a good job of knowing when not to care, but sometimes they have to get involved.

The Head of Personnel should piss off. That isn't their department. If they need security, they are the one job on station beside Captain who can just assign more security.

"Just assign more security" seems a little like it has a lot of holes. Inexperienced players, trolls in waiting, low population, characters not designed to be sec, etc
Westfire

Postby Vorrarkul » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Honestly, as someone who has played security... I have little problem with (avoiding) breaking scenes. Whether my compatriots are too nervous to ask LOOCly or not is a different matter. But for me, the problem is when it ISN'T vore-related. When people are running around, hacking into places, stealing things, and all in all I read them as not interested in/not compatible for vore scenes, that I get the most annoyed.
While, yes, some officers need to be less oocly terrified of scene breaking and use LOOC more often, my experience has been troublemakers who DON'T want a scene at the end of the chase that aggravates me and makes me not want to play so much security anymore. Though to be fair part of this is because Rylee is not the kind to do justice voring, which is part of why I took her out of security. To be fair yet again, maybe the troublemakers should pay more attention to who they want to catch them and get scened with before running around and causing general antics. Complexity isn't the problem in itself, for me at least.
As for solutions... I don't know, frankly. I'm just here to give my opinion as someone who used to do sec a lot.

Edits for posts made before I finished:

On the topic of detectives and blue shields... I honestly think the implementation of blue shields was a terrible idea that rather consistently gives us multiple names on the security manifest but no one who can actually DO security's job.
On the topic of Head of Personnel... assign more security from where, exactly? Assistants? "Security Officer Kerena Wile" is something I don't want to be responsible for.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Next

Return to General Discussion