Coding in disposal - Opinions?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Coding in disposal - Opinions?

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:20 pm

There's not really much left to the imagination, is there? Bones aren't commonly found around our station because other kinds of death aren't actually very common. Adding these and a disposal mechanic at the same time? No, people know exactly where those bone piles have come from.

You're also neatly dodging around each of my other points.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:25 pm

If I suggested the ability for predators to cough up and leave piles of bones/fur/scales, by itself, without first having made any mention of scat, would you still be against it? Because that is basically the compromise I am trying to offer here.
Kayleen

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:27 pm

To be honest, I would still be against it, yes. It leaves behind something that shows fatality has occurred, no matter how temporarily, and is left around the station for other players to see. The predator presumably won't be doing anything about it. If they were going to do something about it, they'd roleplay it. Since they would rather actually spit up a physical item, they're leaving that there for other players to see, no matter how opposed to the idea of digestion those other players may be.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:28 pm

People get digested in the bar or on the escape shuttle all the time. It'd hardly be worse than that.
Kayleen

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:32 pm

But the digestion doesn't persist any longer than the scene does. However, by leaving a physical item behind, it's forced to persist until someone does something about it.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 pm

But that exact thing could appeal to someone else who does like it. It'd add a sense of persistence to post-vor acts and make things nor anchored in the world, which is the entire appeal of RPing in SS13 to begin with.
Kayleen

Postby jemli » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm also against it, but I'm willing to compromise if, basically, the thing left behind was only a heavily damaged jumpsuit. That way, the prey leaves something behind that could be identified and such, while at the same time, it's not something that a lot of people would find too offensive. Which, while it might not make sense in cases where the prey was entirely stripped beforehand, still leaves something?

But I do agree with nightwing in the respect that, while a few people might like it, it's not worth it if it drives a whole bunch more players away from the server.
jemli

Postby Mech__Warrior » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 pm

FoxSequence wrote:Unfortunately, I believe that the disposal option was purposely left out because of pref-breaking. I myself would quite enjoy this function, but I do know that a lot of people who are regulars on Virgo would be quite upset at seeing remains. And, uh, that some of the coders did not want to do that stuff, but I think you can fix that!

On the topic of what-if... what if there were an option to turn such disposal objects invisible? I mean, I have no idea how it would be done, since that's not how SS13 works, but I'm going to put it out there regardless! Um, maybe even a strike system. You can examine remains to see who left them (OOCly of course), and if the creator of said item, say, purposely shows it to cause strife, someone can report them?

That's why it was left out because we know that the first thing people would do would be throwing poo around, or at least the /vg/ers would try to. This is why poo was removed on Goonstation is because it got that bad. I know it doesn't necessarily need to be feces, but leaving personal calling cards will irk someone and there will be a shitstorm to follow, figuratively.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby invisiblepinkunicorn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:00 pm

I have to side with the people who are against this for preference-breaking reasons. If you really want to leave forensic evidence, strip the prey out of their jumpsuit first, or punch them so there's a drop of blood on the floor.

If disposal were coded in, in any form, it'd be very difficult for people who are uncomfortable with it to take a large number of jobs such as Detective or HoS. Their IC responsibilities would practically require them to deal with it any time someone committed a vore crime and used coded disposal. Likewise with Janitor.

In my opinion, this adds nothing to the server that wouldn't be outweighed by the negative effect it has on people who are squicked out by disposal.
invisiblepinkunicorn

Postby Aces » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:01 pm

My concern with this is it's going to turn into, "No, because it's pref breaking, although it doesn't bother me."

Let's instead hear from people who don't like disposal and if they think they can handle seeing some bones or if they're gonna freak out over it.

Sometimes, people's prefs just have to suck it up. Player A hates digestion, but player B is being digested by C willingly in the bar. A's just gonna have to deal with it.

But, disposals doesn't quite fit that logic, as I think there are better ways to handle it like the toilet mechanics I mentioned previously.
Aces

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion