Coding in disposal - Opinions?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Coding in disposal - Opinions?

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:50 pm

But, again, I wouldn't be able to stop the idea that I might be standing in a literal pile of shit if someone else had the game set that way. I would be paranoid the whole time. I wouldn't enjoy it. And to be honest, the majority of players when I look at their flavour texts says "no scat/ws". We'd be catering to a tiny audience in order to prefbreak an entire much larger audience.

And the ability to leave piles of fur and bones around the station isn't any more appealing to me. The concept of making the remains of past prey into a trophy (which is literally the point of the proposed update) sickens me, no offence to those who're into it.
Nightwing

Postby arokha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Nightwing wrote:is that this genuinely doesn't add anything substantial to the game.

I was actually thinking about having it be allowed to have it be required for your character, so that it's actually a mechanic for those who opted in to that, and that also it has the blood signature of the pred and the prey, so it could be investigated to add another way to catch preds. Also the ability to do it 'randomly' was just a thought. Maybe make it so it's not random, and gotta eat people, aka not random trolls.
arokha

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Okay, forcing it to be required is even less okay. I'm extremely opposed to this idea the more the conversation goes on.
Nightwing

Postby Arbon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Again Citadel has a fairly good system for it that just uses the already existing skeleton sprite, as you can find skeletons around the map normally. Their toggle is in whether or not you leave remains at all, and whether those remains have names attatched to them. Hmm ... actually, being able to scan the remains the same way you'd scan a corpse would be pretty interesting. And make for less panic to get scanned before you enter a scene, because you have a fallback option if remains were present. ALSO it could theoretically give a detective something to do by allowing them to scan/autopsy (whatever) and find the identity of whoever was eaten. So there's a slew of event things that could be made of this.

None of which get around the idea that NOT EVERYONE LIKES DIGESTION so forcing them to accept the reality of it by leaving clear evidence of what can happen to a body will squick over a lot of people in ways that are very different from just having a predator call in someone to clone.
Arbon

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 pm

You also have to remember that Citadel is a very different experience where locating a predator to arrest them is a required part of gameplay and everyone there is pretty much expecting to be killed, possibly via digestion. Their server has an actual use for a mechanic like that, whereas ours doesn't benefit from it because we -roleplay- this kind of thing.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Nightwing, you aren't exactly making a compelling case here. Pretty much all your arguments boil down to "I think it's gross and I don't want it."

That's... not a valid argument against a feature that wouldn't even affect you unless you want it to.

You're being pointlessly argumentative again.
Kayleen

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Okay, allow me to lay out my case here.

> This is not a highly requested feature
> The population of our server who do not like scat or disposals heavily outweigh the population who do
> The ability to roleplay this compared to the ability to mechanically leave remains are functionally identical, except that the latter has much higher potential to break preferences because it persists
> I have two counters to your "it can be scanned" justification:
>> First off, how many detectives are going to want to stand around scanning faeces or other remains for DNA?
>> Secondly, that just opens up the capability for security to go arrest people hours after the disposal took place without any knowledge of whether or not the scene was willing or unwilling; it's another tool that'll cause confusion and upset in that regard

Conclusion: You're pushing for a feature that a large number of people find disgusting to be added to the station with the justification of allowing predators to be caught more easily (which YOU may want, but a lot of others don't) and enhancing roleplay (which applies only to a small niche of players and, in fact, is mechanically identical to roleplay, except with the addition of persistence that allows other players to find it later and have their prefs broken). The ability to hide the remains is not a solution, as the mere presence of a feature like this disgusts at least one person here (I can only speak for myself here, but I'm almost certain others feel the same way) and adding the ability to turn it invisible is worse since you don't know where it might be. I'd say play it out in private to your heart's content, but don't try to add it as a mechanic.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Kayleen wrote:Rather than hiding it entirely, I think it'd be ideal to just make the remains non-offensive. Like, just a clump of bones or furballs or slimy scales, or any mixture of those.

I'd just like to reiterate this, because you seem to have completely missed or ignored it the first time I mentioned it.
Kayleen

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm not sure how you justify a pile of slimy bones and flesh, scales or fur to be non-offensive.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:17 pm

I... don't think it's offensive at all, honestly.

I was going to add, that it could be left to the viewer's imagination whether said leftovers were coughed up or elsewhere.
Kayleen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion