Coding in disposal - Opinions?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Coding in disposal - Opinions?

Postby arokha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 pm

I want to add disposal (as in, post-vore, as in, you know, the uh, sordid remains of prey). It'd be an optional thing, everything would continue to work now as it did in the past, just also under the 'release' options there'd be a disposal one if you'd digested anyone. Maybe even if you haven't, if you're into ... other stuff. Ahem. Anyway.

Would adding this completely optional feature upset anyone? Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Also is the mere option of this in the game going to squick you? OOC prefs are required to be respected, of course. That is never going to change.
arokha

Re: Coding in disposal - Opinions?

Postby Arbon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:52 pm

I rather like how citadel does things on their side, where stomachs are a container and you have a toggle in the vore menu to Leave remains, leave NAMED remains, and leave no body at all. With the normal remains just being a bones sprite and the named remains just being bones named after the victim who was digested. Don't bother spitting it back out and then the next person you eat can examine the stomach and see the remains of everyone else who glorped there. But ... while I personally enjoy scat for the horror and disgust element, and you should reasonably be able to expect people to not just shove poo into people's faces without getting banned for pref breaking. You know, YOU KNOW, the moment there is some option to release physical remains of a digested person and have everyone else see it then you are going to get someone who'd think it would be funny to fling those remains about and force everyone to look at it.

Thats what happens in non-fetish servers where excrement is a thing, at least. While it should get reported and punished, its still going to happen where someone stands on the bar countertop and takes a dump on demand simply because they know they can, and the mechanics encourage this. The same way seeing remains and/or named remains would reasonably squick out people who don't like digestion at all, by forcing them to think of it, to LOOK AT IT.

What I would adore happening is to make toilets function like disposal tubes leading to an actual room, and remains of a body could be flushed down into it. I've actually seen players who like disposal play just completely ignore the toilets entirely and head to the nearest trash can instead, because the disposal tubes work better for those purposes and you can mechanically flush things into space. But wish-list and practical reality don't match up for me here >_>;

Ace had plans for toilets to get a functionality update in which you could use and flush them to normalize/lower your nutriment value with just a flushing sound, no actual depictions of anything and localized to the toilets. So maybe that could just be expanded upon? Release near a toilet, remains pop out, and then if you flush with remains in the toilet's square then the remains get deleted?

*shiftyeyes*

One thing I'd enjoy in particular is the capacity for remains to still count as the body, actually. When dead to digestion, instead of "You have no body" using the re-enter corpse option would bind you back to where the remains are, whether its still inside someone or if it's been released and dumped somewhere.
Arbon

Postby FoxSequence » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Unfortunately, I believe that the disposal option was purposely left out because of pref-breaking. I myself would quite enjoy this function, but I do know that a lot of people who are regulars on Virgo would be quite upset at seeing remains. And, uh, that some of the coders did not want to do that stuff, but I think you can fix that!

On the topic of what-if... what if there were an option to turn such disposal objects invisible? I mean, I have no idea how it would be done, since that's not how SS13 works, but I'm going to put it out there regardless! Um, maybe even a strike system. You can examine remains to see who left them (OOCly of course), and if the creator of said item, say, purposely shows it to cause strife, someone can report them?
FoxSequence

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:02 pm

A long time ago, this discussion came up. It's been nuked by negative opinions both times in the past, and personally, I'd find it gross to walk into the bar and to see a splatter labelled as though it's disposal. People can get white splatters already by throwing white paint and flour around, but I'd really not like to see anything further. I'd seriously not enjoy it.

As for a toggleable standpoint, it's kinda not as simple as having the pred able to toggle it on and off. Because if someone does it, say, in the middle of the hallway, everyone else can still see it! And if it's on a toggle for whether you're ABLE to see it, you're bound to get something like "Oh lol look you're standing in what's left of X" *screenshots, uploads somewhere, reputation drops*.

I am very much opposed to this idea.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm

We're talking about being able to toggle visibility entirely, not on a case by case basis, mind you. It's not like you'd have to disable each individual set of disposal remains as you see them.

Edit: Misread what NW was saying, my bad.
Last edited by Kayleen on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayleen

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:09 pm

I am fully aware of this fact.

==EDIT==

I think a major point I'd be opposed to is knowing that, since I have the visibility options turned off, my character COULD be standing in something and certain other players could see it, while I'd be unable to. I'd have to have it turned on to avoid the possibility of my character stepping in it, and I wouldn't enjoy that. You know what I mean?
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Rather than hiding it entirely, I think it'd be ideal to just make the remains non-offensive. Like, just a clump of bones or furballs or slimy scales, or any mixture of those.
Kayleen

Postby arokha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Honestly it's illegal to do a lot of things and people generally don't do those things. Like people don't randomly attack people in the bar usually because they will get arrested by super-zealous sec. If it were just illegal to do stuff like that in the bar, then, you know. But also more importantly that's prefbreaking in a similar manner to doing like, hardvore in the bar. You're going to get in trouble for doing it.
arokha

Postby Nightwing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Most importantly, I think, is that this genuinely doesn't add anything substantial to the game. It adds the ability to leave something on the floor... And that's it. You can roleplay that and nobody gets offended. By adding the ability to leave piles of shit around the station, you're pretty much just calling for trolls and such to come and literally shit everywhere. Without this feature, there's far less capacity to inadvertently or deliberately offend anyone.
Nightwing

Postby Kayleen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 pm

First off, as we've just discussed, it probably won't be literal "piles of shit" unless you set it that way. Plus, trolls won't be able to abuse it because you'd have to have actually digested someone to make it work. And in the end, if a troll wants to be nasty like that, there's not a thing to stop them from just emoting it in the bar. We shouldn't exclude a purely flavor feature on the grounds of "it could be abused", because then they'll just find something else to abuse.

Second, Aro mentioned earlier that it will likely include the ability to scan the remains for DNA, both the pred and prey's... which IMO would actually add a lot to the game. It'd add a lot for me even if it didn't exclude DNA scans, so I don't think there's any merit to the argument that it "doesn't add anything".

Edit: Needless to say, I'm all for this change.
Last edited by Kayleen on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kayleen

Next

Return to General Discussion