Indigestible Items

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Indigestible Items

Postby Gramzon_the_Dragon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:52 am

Hello Denizens of a backwater station.

I have played a couple scenes preying on medical staff since the latest major update to the code and noticed something kinda interesting that I was unaware of. I had been playing a scene with a guy who had to leave after, so my character didn't bother stripping him of all his items before gurgling him. After digestion completed I examined my character and he still "[had] something solid in his stomach!" When I looked on the inside tab there was no longer the psychiatrist, but instead his intact labcoat? I was able to puke it up as if it were a prey item and was amused that it said it protected against "minor chemical spills".

I have tested this out 3 more times to find it does indeed survive every time, and items in the pockets are protected. I was wondering
1. Has anyone has found any other items that don't get digested?
2. Is it just all outer layer clothing/suits?
3. is this a bug?

Personally I find it amusing, and hope it is intentional.
Gramzon_the_Dragon

Re: Indigestible Items

Postby Arbon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:16 am

It most certainly is not intention if any of the discussions I've heard previous are to be accounted for. The intention with digestion is that everyone with even an ordinary stomach is supposed to be fully capable of devouring and entirely destroying any material in the time it takes to digest a body, plasma, metals, plastics, glass, all of it vanishing because you churned it up in acids is whats supposed to happen, and I suspect the jacket remaining is a bug that hasn't been accounted for. The idea behind this is that if players could eat someone to store items inside their stomach, then it could unbalance events by giving players what is essentially unlimited (but hard to access) storage space. With the catch being that players can already abuse this for unlimited storage space by just putting the things they want in storage in the hands of a monkey, and then eat the monkey.

There has been talk of specific items surviving digestion, but I've never heard of it being implemented. This is probably some strange interaction with digestion damage and item damage, and the jacket is statted to be immune to the types of damage a stomach deals. That said, in your experimentation and investigation, please make sure to snatch up other crew members to test this out with >^.^<
Arbon

Postby Scree » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43 am

There is... some playing around with this sort of thing happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if certain items of clothing were tagged that way, because... well. For some folks, belching up a shirt or shoes or whatever from a digested prey is kindabuttonpushy. :mrgreen:
Scree

Postby Arbon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:35 am

Very, very much so. PDAs and IDs are the big ones that are very hard to replace on an individual basis, and without one its very difficult to continue back to the shift. Most anything else isn't really worth worrying about. And I can imagine predators keeping the piled up indigestible items inside them just to taunt the next prey they swallowed can become a thing.
Arbon

Postby Scree » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:10 am

.... you are aware that Scree taking advantage of being indigestible to go in after stuff left behind by other prey has been a thing for years, right?

And yes, bein' gulped and surrounded by stuff is also a thing. ¬.¬
Scree

Postby Arbon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:19 am

In lore, yes I am aware of Scree's job off-station. But I want this to apply to mechanics as well, so that it can be a thing in-game and actually function. Make sure to mark swimsuits as indigestible if you please.
Arbon

Return to General Discussion