Firing and why it seems to mean jack shit

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Firing and why it seems to mean jack shit

Postby BotsMackenzie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:41 am

So you know how in the rules there's that whole "pre-jobban" thing of permanent firing? Like, you can still play that job as other characters but not as the character that got fired? I'm wondering why that seems to be entirely unenforced and completely ignored by the players who are "fired", as I've seen multiple characters who go through big showy event 'trials' to get perma-fired only coming back as their job of choice (usually sec) later that same day as that same character.

What's the deal?
Don't smile because it's over, cry because it happened. - Paul Simon
BotsMackenzie

Re: Firing and why it seems to mean jack shit

Postby orbisa » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:49 am

While we don't have (yet)a way to in code control that, AFAIK it's on the honor system, if such a thing happens you use the fax or adminhelp it.

Now, make sure it was a Central Firing thing, and not one of the heads call of firing a person. I once was fired of science for calling the RD 'dear'
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Scree » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:57 am

Yeah, if the captain that shift just demoted you, or a head of staff decided they didn't want to deal with someone in their department that day, that's not really a long-term firing. After all, if those counted then someone could sign up as captain purely to "demote" people as a means of griefing. Scree's thrown so many people out of cargo during his tenure as QM that I've lost count, but it was pretty much always just "get the hell out of my department", not "never play this job again".

So as Orbis said, it's on the honour system.
Scree

Postby BotsMackenzie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 am

I mean, I've seen a number of people fired (mostly from sec) directly by the Centcom rep. Is that permanent or not? It's a little bit annoying seeing the same 'corrupt officer' characters and 'quack doctor' characters getting their 'comeuppance' as it were ICly, and then promptly ignoring it and playing their same gimmick the very next round.
Don't smile because it's over, cry because it happened. - Paul Simon
BotsMackenzie

Postby Aces » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:02 am

BotsMackenzie wrote:So you know how in the rules there's that whole "pre-jobban" thing of permanent firing? Like, you can still play that job as other characters but not as the character that got fired? I'm wondering why that seems to be entirely unenforced and completely ignored by the players who are "fired", as I've seen multiple characters who go through big showy event 'trials' to get perma-fired only coming back as their job of choice (usually sec) later that same day as that same character.

What's the deal?

Because it's IC. Also it's rarely permanent. Usually you're just suspended without pay.

Here's an example:

Let's say I'm playing my crook Jarome Rognvaldr, who likes to illegally smuggle stuff around the ship. One day he gets caught. Naturally, he gets fired, and CentCom isn't going to be keen on letting him have the job position again for a while. Does that mean my good and honest other character Jeremy Neil should no longer be able to work cargo? No. That isn't fair.

However if I got fired, and I show up literally next shift as Jarome again on the same job slot that I got fired from, that is when someone should alert the admins, and an actual job ban is put into place because I couldn't play fairly. Now I can't play on either of those characters as the job I wanted to.

Job bans are something we don't like using because until the SQL database is up, all job bans are permanent as far as SS13's code is concerned. Not many are ACTUALLY permanent. We currently have no mechanic at all to ban individual characters, either. It is a feature for the future.

In the mean time, if you see this happening again:
I've seen multiple characters who go through big showy event 'trials' to get perma-fired only coming back as their job of choice (usually sec) later that same day as that same character.

let us know. Because dats a bannu.
Aces

Return to General Discussion