Adminbuse - How far?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Adminbuse - How far?

Postby arokha » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:59 pm

We were having an internal discussion about what we can do as admins and what's too far and annoys players. There wasn't really a general consensus, and it was said that we should ask the community. So, hello community!

What have you seen me or others doing that you thought was too far? What were you okay with, or what was helpful? What times have you been like "I wish they would have let me do that, they took my job" and what times were you like "I'm glad they were able to do that/show me how to do that".

There's also one thing I'd like to clear up real fast: The 'Representative' job that we can play (soon to be renamed 'Observer' to further clear this up), is not an employee on the station. They aren't anyone's boss, are not above the captain, and they are always admins, so if you were going to send a fax or something, you could talk to one of them instead (sorry to ruin your imershuns about faxes). Like I play Aronai while he's on break from CC and just goes to the station to hang out.

Anyway, please give feedback!

Like for example, I generally spawn in a satchel and belt for myself when I start because the 'select equipment' option for CC Rep doesn't include either. Is that okay? What about medkits? Etc.
arokha

Re: Adminbuse - How far?

Postby ShadowStallion » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Id say something like... "You see a person bleeding on the floor dying in front off you" And just poof! Magic Medkit is uncalled for
ShadowStallion

Postby orbisa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Generally, the issues come from things related to common sense, in wich the admin actions contribute or detract from the game. Think of yourseld as a game master in that sense, so things like you just said of spawning yourself a belt, it's completly razonable, there are many in the stations, and we all start with a satchel, so, no admin fuckery there. You could even arguee that anything that you say "this guy spawns with this" is valid, since there are reasons you are giving to this character to spawn with 'x' thing.

Now, it's a different thing to spawn yourself a belt if you are suddenly locked into a room. Depending on the situation, it would be tolerable, but it would be still being unfair

And a much more different, and dire, that an admin spawned an esword when Michael McPred managed to trap them into a room.

It's all circumstantial, same reason it's good to press the button to power up all the SMES of the station when there are no engineers and it's dickish to do it when there are..

The other big thing is this. We can't prove you guys had that item, it's hard to see if what happened was fair or not. Even with the effort Virgo staff makes to be transparent, it's hard to be sure.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby orbisa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:32 pm

At the end of the day, the question would be... "Will spawning this affect the round?" "If it will, will it harm anyone?" "Will it improve the round doing this?" "are the people affected okay with this?"

The few times I seen Ace using buttons, were to avoid the hazzle of going back to the station to bring food, of all things, and he asked the players permisson two times, when it wasn't anything that would affect us negatively (we were cooperating in the xenostation).

So, sorry I cannot give you an straigh answer Aro, but it depends on each case
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:36 pm

After my time in HGN, I follow a free-range admin policy. I avoid helping even when I know it'd make someone happier sometimes, just due to the fact that, "If you don't suffer, you don't learn." Such as a dude jumping down disposals and asking for admin heal, or getting fucked up on a gateway mission.
Aces

Postby arokha » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:11 am

orbisa wrote:So, sorry I cannot give you an straigh answer Aro, but it depends on each case

Actually I think your two posts were a good answer.

What do you (and others) think about admins giving themselves fluff items? Stuff that is available on the station, or equivalent, and then varediting it to have a different name, sprite, or description? It circumvents the fluff request thread on the one hand, but on the other... admin? So, thoughts?

Like if I'm in sec and want a Mk58 but mine has engravings on the side and I make mine the wooden-handled fluff variant that randomly spawns.
arokha

Postby orbisa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 am

As long as they are cosmetic, there is not much damage, hell, it could even encourage others to get more fluff items and since anyone can get one, when you do you can feel more involved with the game and character, since you have a prop that is yours... and you know, it encourages people to visit the forums, wich is huge right now.

The other good thing I could see about it is that it should encourage admins to sitdown and tell stories, even mini events that involve only a fistfull of players can have a huge effect on the fun factor...

Now, on the other hand, even changing names, description and sprites could be damaging, like changing the sprite of a a gyroget to that of a foam crossbow (badmins, take note there!), giving a stun revolver the sprite of a taser, or even giving a banana the sprite of a cigar butt.

As before, things change with the use, if I had developer rank, nobody would bat an eye if someone brought me a weapon to engrave or as you said, giving it a wooden handle if the sprite exist. But if I suddenly made a Honk, gave it to kerena and changed the sprite to that of the toy version, I am pretty sure I would get that rank stripped from me pretty quickly, and for many reasons.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Serkii » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Hmm the worst problem I've had with admins on station is the ones who'd create events, spawn in a ton of weapons to show off, or just really the ones who spawn things willy nilly. I haven't seen you do that for anything but fun fluffy stuff.
Serkii

Postby Mech__Warrior » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm trying to think of ways to add my input on this and the only things I can think of are A) Cheating (Like turning god mode on when there's a fight just so you won't die from another's robustness), B) Spawning fluff items that aren't yours, C) Banning people for nonsensical reasons, and I think that's about it. I'll have to think of some more but as far as I'm concerned, you aren't that bad, Arokha.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby orbisa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Urm, I don't think this is a justification on wherever Arokha does something good or bad, but he is just asking how we see a certain activity, what do we tolerate on admin interaction and what do we don't..

I personally like events, so I will encourage you guys to do stuff, but do remember is harder to let go a perceived slight of an admin, than it is of a head of staff, than it is of another crewmember.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Next

Return to General Discussion