Adminbuse - How far?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Adminbuse - How far?

Postby Aces » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:38 pm

orbisa wrote:Ok, let's move on and continue the debate...

What about when an admin spawns a sensitive item for others players, not themselves?

The other day Pyro deleted and spawned, to me, one of the Xenobiology machines, since it was borked beyond fixing and there is an issue on git now thanks to that discovery. This is the best reason for an admin to spawn something I believe, when it fixes one of the code shortcomings...

Now, where should the line be drawn? Should the admins spawn items to add fun to the rounds? convenience? should Kerena be given a Honk at round start, since we cannot get one now? should players work for the things they strive of? Like shipping 1000 sheets of plasma in exchange of a phazon, or sacrificing the clothes of 10 crewmembers for a smoke spell? Should they strive to kidnapp one captain to obtain the ninja suit, so that they can kidnapp four people more?

It all depends on what makes the game more fun without being at someone else's expense.

Best way to occasionally get admin abuse in your favor without breaking character or pissing other people off is to use the IC Prayer button. "I wish I could find more diamonds." "WISH GRANTED!" ... sometimes. Other times this may also backfire. "GRANTED. But you have to fight Tim, the Destroyer of Worlds, to get it."
Aces

Postby Scree » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Inebrius the god of booze may answer your calls for vodka.

Unfortunately the switchboard operator has a hearing problem and may put you through to Rentokus, the god of mousetraps.
Scree

Postby Knightfall » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm

Based on personal experience, both as a three year player and an admin on another server, even small things like having an admin only special job can lead to bad things later. It is best to have complete separation between being an admin, and playing in round. If that means you need to pop out of your body in the middle of something, people will understand. Basically it is a slippery slope, if you are given a special job and allowed to spawn a couple things with it, and you do this daily, you may find yourself spawning increasingly more game changing items without even thinking about it. Think just spawning a backpack for yourself won't lead to that? I saw someone as a centcomm rep with a light RIG suit that had ninja modules attached to it a week or so ago, and that is very powerful. It wasn't for an event, but just basic in round use for no reason. Just my though on this.

Edit: That doesn't mean you can't send a Rep in with a pulse pistol and the special full resist armor if someone is being bad and you get faxed about it, basically spawning stuff and being a special centcomm snowflake should be for events and special occasions only.
Knightfall

Postby Aces » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Knightfall wrote:Based on personal experience, both as a three year player and an admin on another server, even small things like having an admin only special job can lead to bad things later. It is best to have complete separation between being an admin, and playing in round. If that means you need to pop out of your body in the middle of something, people will understand. Basically it is a slippery slope, if you are given a special job and allowed to spawn a couple things with it, and you do this daily, you may find yourself spawning increasingly more game changing items without even thinking about it. Think just spawning a backpack for yourself won't lead to that? I saw someone as a centcomm rep with a light RIG suit that had ninja modules attached to it a week or so ago, and that is very powerful. It wasn't for an event, but just basic in round use for no reason. Just my though on this.

Edit: That doesn't mean you can't send a Rep in with a pulse pistol and the special full resist armor if someone is being bad and you get faxed about it, basically spawning stuff and being a special centcomm snowflake should be for events and special occasions only.

This sums up my feelings on it, yea.

We now have a CentCom observer role, and I feel like it's a nice thing to have CentCom at least loosely involved in the RP, but previously it was not defined as to what were the limitations of that role. So, you'd have asspulled things spawned in like light rig suits even though it's only being used for looks.

That being said, I want to keep the Observer position, but it must be treated as such or it'll be removed.
Aces

Previous

Return to General Discussion