Assistants

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Assistants

Postby weires96 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:22 am

Recently I tried to get back into this game, just for something to fill the time with. I made a completely new character, with the intention of having them learn a job aand seeing how things went from there.The experience has not been fun. Every time I interacted with someone, or tried to, I was either completely ignored or people just left without saying or doing anything, unless they already knew me OOC.
I know the reason might be my character, or that I haven't used the character much (Three/four shifts) but I get the impression that Assistants in general are either ignored or just treated as food.
I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks. It might just be me that this kind of thing happens to.
weires96

Re: Assistants

Postby Mech__Warrior » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:31 am

weires96 wrote:Recently I tried to get back into this game, just for something to fill the time with. I made a completely new character, with the intention of having them learn a job aand seeing how things went from there.The experience has not been fun. Every time I interacted with someone, or tried to, I was either completely ignored or people just left without saying or doing anything, unless they already knew me OOC.
I know the reason might be my character, or that I haven't used the character much (Three/four shifts) but I get the impression that Assistants in general are either ignored or just treated as food.
I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks. It might just be me that this kind of thing happens to.

Assistants really don't get respect on the station. Hell, even when my main is an assistant, she often has to deal with the off-hand quip of people not recognizing her as the captain of the shift prior. Honestly, it's hard.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby warbrand2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:39 am

yeah the way people treat assistants really needs a boost.... don't like just jumping into a job and learning the hard way and the assistant role is so you don't have to, thing is I have been told so many times OOCLY and ICLY to just jump in with out training that it has put me off of learning new jobs or actually making a new character, as guess what I would still need to learn new jobs.

hell I can name the players who will ICLY help an assistant learn a new job on one hand, as it is off the top of my head dhaelena and kayleen are the only to I can think of well I can think of 2 more but can't even get close to spelling their names (sorry).

yeah assistants are treated like trash and I almost want to do something in character about it but I have no clue what to do, and I doubt I have any sway hell I am on what once or twice a month.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Postby Dhaeleena » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:34 am

I often play as an assistant, mostly when im tired, i only want to RP or i just want to have a rest of a normal job. Being an assistant is not the most of the funs, and you really cant stay six hours in the bar doing nothing or RPing for six full hours ( i have rp'd for more than ten hours once but that was out of station and is not easy ) Thing is, when you are an assistant and you want to learn or help, you have to go and actively ask to help and ask for someone teach you something, normaly when someone asks "can i help you with anything?" the response will be "no, im ok" or "you can be food/belly filler" so the best options are. A) jump directly into the job you want to learn, is better if you ahve someone to help you out. B) Go to the hop, they would tell you if any department needs personell. C) ask me! i love teaching stuff to people, i like making the learning experience ejoyable and not just all just heavy mechanics.
Good nice and easy jobs to jump into are, all of cargo. Maybe medbay if there is a lot of people working there already, or at least two active people. Science!! science is good, not difficult and often there is people around..then most if not all of the other civilians jobs, just jump into them and ask around when you have a doubt.
Dhaeleena

Postby weires96 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:08 am

You know, this gives me an idea for an event in which a whole bunch of assistant characters take someone like the captain hostage :P

I doubt it would do anything though. Except give assistants something to do. I just think it would be entertaining. And it's irrelevant to the topic.

Its really hard to get people to pay any attention to you as an assistant, so you kind of have to talk to someone OOC if you want to learn anything IC. That just seems wrong. Playing as an assistant is currently a pretty stressful experience, completely preventing people from making any character that doesn't know what they're doing unless they want to sit around being ignored. The only people who really acknowledge assistants are medbay staff, and only for scanning and cloning. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's just how it seems most of the time.
And in regards to asking people to learn, some people (like me) have trouble just walking up to someone and asking, or even asking over radio.
The problems with being an assistant have basically stopped me from using a character and forced me into using one that I don't like anywhere near as much.

I think I'm complaining too much... Sorry about that. ><
weires96

Postby orbisa » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:18 am

If an assistants ask about a job I am doing over the radio and I am not in a scene, I will let them in to show them the ropes.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:39 am

Assistants are generally ignored even on regular servers. The goal of being an assistant is to learn the basic controls, then get assigned a job by the Head of Personnel. The HoP has to get someone to tutor you.

Playing assistant continuously is not fun. I'm the head admin and people still ignore my assistants, so it's not a case of nepotism.

We're going to have OOC mentor positions in the new code soon.
Aces

Return to General Discussion