Criminals of V.O.R.E., unite!

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Criminals of V.O.R.E., unite!

Postby Aces » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:37 pm

warbrand2 wrote:Ok with that, my character is now going to start actually stealing shit.

Just avoid getting caught and if you do don't murder a witness because you stole a pen.

Also it's preferred to have some security on before doing this. And work together with someone.
Aces

Postby Arbon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:44 pm

One aspect to keep in mind is that the criminals can’t always win all the time constantly getting away scot free, at the same time security cannot always win all the time constantly shutting every criminal down. There has to be a balance between capture rates and keeping fairness in mind otherwise there isn’t much conflict. Likewise at the end of a successful heist, do not refer to security as terrible because they didn’t stomp on your fun, that isn’t the message you want to send.

While I do not play her often because I’m usually not in a predatory mood, my human hacker character Dralinda Take, who prefers to be called Miss Take, would eagerly sign up to join this coalition so long as she can make money out of it.

And for moments in which it can apply, eating the witness is preferable to all other types of killing. Just watch the flavor-text and pick your victims accordingly.
Arbon

Postby Mech__Warrior » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:42 am

Arbon wrote:One aspect to keep in mind is that the criminals can’t always win all the time constantly getting away scot free, at the same time security cannot always win all the time constantly shutting every criminal down. There has to be a balance between capture rates and keeping fairness in mind otherwise there isn’t much conflict. Likewise at the end of a successful heist, do not refer to security as terrible because they didn’t stomp on your fun, that isn’t the message you want to send.

While I do not play her often because I’m usually not in a predatory mood, my human hacker character Dralinda Take, who prefers to be called Miss Take, would eagerly sign up to join this coalition so long as she can make money out of it.

And for moments in which it can apply, eating the witness is preferable to all other types of killing. Just watch the flavor-text and pick your victims accordingly.

There was an interesting option I found the other day that can give an antagonist a hint on how to gain an advantage against your character, I guess. I did it because I find it interesting to explain a character flaw and see how they use it against me.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby Aces » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:30 am

Mech__Warrior wrote:
Arbon wrote:One aspect to keep in mind is that the criminals can’t always win all the time constantly getting away scot free, at the same time security cannot always win all the time constantly shutting every criminal down. There has to be a balance between capture rates and keeping fairness in mind otherwise there isn’t much conflict. Likewise at the end of a successful heist, do not refer to security as terrible because they didn’t stomp on your fun, that isn’t the message you want to send.

There was an interesting option I found the other day that can give an antagonist a hint on how to gain an advantage against your character, I guess. I did it because I find it interesting to explain a character flaw and see how they use it against me.

In my case, I include in my security records a history of "This person is a known troublemaker who has been arrested before." It caused security to watch him intensively when I was in the middle of doing some criminal activity and he nearly got caught. Only reason he didn't is because he stumbled on a corrupt security officer who was more interested in a quick paycheck than an honest day's work.

Reasons like this I don't include a long-term economy. More players are inclined to follow their greed without morals to get gear--when in the real world, they wouldn't, based on risk of getting caught. Neither the risk nor reward is real, so we roleplay it properly instead. The moral response is kept believable.
Aces

Postby Scree » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Apparently a lot of cheeky-criminal-types are finding this character archetype... less fun to play lately due to heavy-handed security responses to the most minor of infractions.
Especially so since most of the sec officers in question are more about brig timers than bellies.
Scree

Postby Aces » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Scree wrote:Apparently a lot of cheeky-criminal-types are finding this character archetype... less fun to play lately due to heavy-handed security responses to the most minor of infractions.
Especially so since most of the sec officers in question are more about brig timers than bellies.

I want to try seeing this for myself so I can attack the problem more directly. I'll go stealthmode at some point and play some crooks.
Aces

Postby Wickedtemp » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 am

You'd need to keep tabs on Security to actually ensure they do the job. There was one scenario where an officer searched through Medbay because a pizza was stolen, but ignored legitimate crime issues later on like trespassing, vandalism, etc.

I think it'd be fun to do, it could give Security an actual purpose (since there's so many OOC rules like "Don't intervene unless the victim explicitly requests aid." and the like).

But my concern is that it could be used as an excuse to just be a chucklefuck. If someone thinks it's fun to steal the surgical tools and other important medical equipment every other round, there will be an issue. I don't mind conflict, but I don't play on VS for a round of "traitor". So if people start doing some real antaggy shit and people die regularly as a result, the game might be more fun for them, but less fun for Medical (for me, anyways), because it's difficult to have a scene when there are people hurting each other and needing to be cloned.

So... Sure. Petty theft, fine. Even trying to steal some real important shit every now and then, go for it. As long as it doesn't cause disruptions every shift, I don't particularly mind.

I'm curious, however, about how it would effect the reputations of crew that are thought to be in the Guild, or have been proven to be involved in an organized station-wide crime organization. It would make sense to bar them from joining as Security to prevent meta-collaboration to flood Security with corrupt individuals just so their crime spree becomes inevitable. And I know that you can't have any real IC consequences for stuff you did in a previous shift, but would that change for characters who make "Is a member of an underground crime organization" a part of their character?

... I want to see something like this, but I'm just worried that like... I'm here, thinking that a wave or two in the calm ocean would be beneficial, but I'm dreading the fact that while a wave would be great, we'll be given a tsunami instead. I'm worried that a possibly fun idea will end up being much heavier than intended, instead of "theives guild" it becomes "super edgey dark brotherhood in space".

And yeah, a part of this is just me being overly-cautious. But given how there's already a fairly consistent level of petty crime that goes on (Security is just too busy with scenes or they don't think it's worth doing anything about it) I'm not entirely sure this would actually do more good than harm... So I guess a "trial run" at the very least would be warranted. Give it a shot and we'll see where it goes.
Wickedtemp

Postby Aces » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:44 am

Wickedtemp wrote:You'd need to keep tabs on Security to actually ensure they do the job. There was one scenario where an officer searched through Medbay because a pizza was stolen, but ignored legitimate crime issues later on like trespassing, vandalism, etc.

I think it'd be fun to do, it could give Security an actual purpose (since there's so many OOC rules like "Don't intervene unless the victim explicitly requests aid." and the like).

But my concern is that it could be used as an excuse to just be a chucklefuck. If someone thinks it's fun to steal the surgical tools and other important medical equipment every other round, there will be an issue. I don't mind conflict, but I don't play on VS for a round of "traitor". So if people start doing some real antaggy shit and people die regularly as a result, the game might be more fun for them, but less fun for Medical (for me, anyways), because it's difficult to have a scene when there are people hurting each other and needing to be cloned.

So... Sure. Petty theft, fine. Even trying to steal some real important shit every now and then, go for it. As long as it doesn't cause disruptions every shift, I don't particularly mind.

I'm curious, however, about how it would effect the reputations of crew that are thought to be in the Guild, or have been proven to be involved in an organized station-wide crime organization. It would make sense to bar them from joining as Security to prevent meta-collaboration to flood Security with corrupt individuals just so their crime spree becomes inevitable. And I know that you can't have any real IC consequences for stuff you did in a previous shift, but would that change for characters who make "Is a member of an underground crime organization" a part of their character?

... I want to see something like this, but I'm just worried that like... I'm here, thinking that a wave or two in the calm ocean would be beneficial, but I'm dreading the fact that while a wave would be great, we'll be given a tsunami instead. I'm worried that a possibly fun idea will end up being much heavier than intended, instead of "theives guild" it becomes "super edgey dark brotherhood in space".

And yeah, a part of this is just me being overly-cautious. But given how there's already a fairly consistent level of petty crime that goes on (Security is just too busy with scenes or they don't think it's worth doing anything about it) I'm not entirely sure this would actually do more good than harm... So I guess a "trial run" at the very least would be warranted. Give it a shot and we'll see where it goes.

The only requirement to having a crooked character is to have some allusions to it in your character's employment and security records. For my character Jarome it straight up states he used to be a pirate leader and was imprisoned for five years. Security is explicitly told to keep an eye on him. These individuals wouldn't be trusted to join security so I'd invoke the "No unrealistic characters" rule because that'd be bullshit joining as security. On the other hand, convincing a security to become corrupt mid-shift is acceptable. But if it becomes a repeating theme, they should stop playing security out of fairness.

I've already done trial runs for this before. Lately Security has been making bullshit charges though. Someone tried to charge grand theft over a fucking stun baton.
Aces

Postby Tasald » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:18 am

i'm glad i don't bring money on station with tas if this is now a thing >.>.
Tasald

Postby Scree » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:10 am

Aces wrote:Someone tried to charge grand theft over a fucking stun baton.

Someone else tried to charge Grand Sabotage (which isn't even a charge in our space law book) for setting off a weldercig (along with a catalogue of other trumped-up charges that should have amounted to misuse of comms at best), then when the person being charged ducked through a hand tele portal to avoid them an officer chased them - into space. The HoS then tried to add murder for them and the person they were with when the weldercig went off.

FAST FORWARD TO LAST NIGHT.

Sec was Zodioc as warden and Scree as detective. The QM made a bunch of dirt/smoke grenades and mailed them to several departments, before tossing one directly at the warden, and running to fling one at Scree too (Ashley caught it, it went off in her face).
Naturally, when she tried to run past Scree, this happened:
Naomi Black is cackling madly.
Naomi Black yells, "Oh man, totally, TOTALLY worth it!"
Scree chirps. Sticks his foot out.
[Security] Zodioc Marina says, "I have the perfect cell for her..."
Naomi Black faceplants!
Naomi Black yells, "... ow!"
[Common] Carly declares, "Hello!"
Scree chirrups, and casually... sits on the bunny. "'eya, Zod."
[Common] Hannah Hermia yells, "Hi!"
Naomi Black now has a monster on her and... oh god there's the warden.
Zodioc Marina coughs more dirt, glares at the bun.
Naomi Black says, "Uhm... hey, uh."
Naomi Black says, "... wuh oh."
Naomi Black asks, "Soooo... heh... got all of you?"
[Security] Zodioc Marina asks, "Snatch her headset, yeah?"
Zodioc Marina talks into the security radio headset
Scree chirrrups. "See, the 'hing 'bout stirrin' trouble, is when I does it, I does it fully expectin' fer someone ta get their own back wi' some time... inside 'em.
Scree casually plucks the bun's headset from her ear.
Naomi Black says, "... wha-... nu-..."
Scree is trying to take off a supply radio headset from Naomi Black's left ear!
And a fun time was had by all, you can probably guess the rest.

These sort of antics are generally best done when there's predsec*, though. I mean, technically we could have pressed charges, but - Vandalism? Disturbing the peace at a push? Maybe you could count minor assault if you were reaching? Even if you add all three them together it's worth less than fifteen minutes** and brigging them for a pittance of time then kicking them out into the halls again is no fun for anyone, whereas swallowing them down into squishystomach and kneading on them for the rest of the shift while "losing" them in the penal system is far more entertaining for all involved. :mrgreen:

* Scree Security Tip: if you're not a hardass about the little things with the rest of the crew, the rest of the crew are more likely to turn a blind eye to a bit of "illegal holding".
** Another Scree Security Tip: if the charges are worth less time than the charge of resisting arrest, it's probably not worth the effort chasing after them unless you're really bored. Or hungry. Just set them to arrest and pick them up if you bump into them, certainly don't go wasting your time tearing the station apart to find them. If they disappear into self-imposed exile to avoid arrest and you never see them again, Security was successful!

Disclaimer regarding Scree Security Tips: Scree is the opposite of a by-the-book cop, he can barely read any book above the level that features colourful dogs.
Scree

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion