Are there too many Continued Rounds?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Are there too many Continued Rounds?

Postby Vorrarkul » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Lately we've been getting more continued rounds as opposed to shifts ending right at 18:00. Is this a problem? Perhaps, perhaps not. I wanted to see other people's opinion on the matter, so I made this post.

From my understanding, the arguments for each side are this:
Pro-Continue: It's never fun to have to pack up a scene, since many scenes can last several hours, depending on who's involved.
Pro-Restart: But those who join late tend to wait until shift restart, for the exact same reason; they don't know if it'll continue or not, and tend to wait until it restarts. This sometimes leads to players waiting for hours until they finally get a fresh shift with at least 6 hours of RP time.
Pro-Continue: Or maybe the Pro-Restarts need to change their attitude and join those late shifts if they want RP, voting to continue for their own multi-hour scenes?

Personally, I'm in camp pro-restart; I'd rather take a guaranteed period of time than a not-guaranteed period. But this also means I sometimes wait two hours or more before joining in, because the round keeps continuing when I'm waiting for a fresh restart.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Re: Are there too many Continued Rounds?

Postby Scree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:29 pm

People should be aware that a round can restart at any time.

Literally any time. If someone accidentally blows the engine or something and there aren't any engineers or people with construction experience to re-wire the solars (remember that the engine blowing up will always trash the engineering solar - if you think the station's barely powered and needs babysitting on all four solars, try it with only three) then people have called the shuttle at the 90-minute mark just to get an unfucked station.

Things will happen that are out of your control. That's part of the game.

So don't complain in OOC when your private scene is cut short. If you want a perfect bubble of utterly shielded interaction, there are better places to RP for that.

That said, there's nothing wrong with hopping on lateshift. You won't have much initial setup to do and science will probably already be done, but there aren't that many things outside of major construction projects that you can't be done in an hour. You can certainly set up for things to continue in later shifts.
If there's only ten minutes to a vote, I'll hang back, and if it says continue then I'll join in the knowledge that I've got at least a clear hour.
Scree

Re: Are there too many Continued Rounds?

Postby Aces » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:49 pm

I just hate it when people say "Scene!" in OOC.

<nofilter>
Like, I don't care. Vote on it. "Don't whine when we want to restart the shift but you're trying to make us feel bad for not continuing YOUR ONE SCENE."

For every scene ongoing, there should be 2 votes. If you start to see a lot of continue votes, then I think it's reasonable to continue, but beyond the 19:00 marker is getting into instability territory with the game.
</filter>
Aces

Return to General Discussion