Pilots! Love em' or leave em.

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Pilots! Love em' or leave em.

Postby Aces » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:13 pm

nerdass wrote:
Scree wrote:Keyfob works, but so does just giving department heads access_pilot and a guest pass terminal.

what if they're on the planet so long the guest pass expires, don't those have a time limit?

This is a valid concern.
Aces

Postby Wickedtemp » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:20 pm

Let us print guest passes that last the full round. It's annoying to have to set a timer to print another one for the medical intern anyway. Haven't had to use them in a while but I think it'd be neat if guest passes could attach to your actual ID, or PDA, or something, so you didn't have to pick and choose which one you have inhand. It's kind of annoying to see people running around as "UNSPECIFIED - NO JOB" because whoever gave them the pass didn't feel like filling any of that out and it's just not picking up the actual ID.
Wickedtemp

Postby Heroman3003 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:45 pm

You can already put guest passes inside PDA instead of ID tbh.
Heroman3003

Postby nerdass » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:03 am

yea but they still expire
nerdass

Postby Scree » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Being able to set them for longer periods of time or having a special indefinite guest pass that can be revoked remotely from the guest pass terminal would be neato.
Scree

Postby radiantAurora » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 am

I think having a pilot job is good, both for a lot of reasons argued here, and also having a pilot character who isn't necessarily expected to be an explorer. Not every pilot would be capable of field work, so having a distinction between explorer and pilot allows anyone who plays a character like such to continue doing so.
radiantAurora

Postby Wickedtemp » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 am

Heroman3003 wrote:You can already put guest passes inside PDA instead of ID tbh.

Yeh, I meant like.. attaching it TO the ID or PDA, allowing you to have both. So you don't have to keep swapping between them.
Wickedtemp

Postby Scree » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 pm

I think TG have a thing where heads can just straight-up change accesses relating to their department, no guest pass needed. It's mainly so they don't need to involve the HoP in demotions. Not the full-on HoP ID console, but changing someone from a visitor/junior role into a full department member, or else busting them down to visitor, and so on.
Scree

Postby Haery70 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:30 pm

I don't mean to necropost which I might do for a couple of threads, but I wanted to give my take on this as someone who's played as a pilot several times.

nerdass wrote: the job was created originally if i remember right because explorers would occasionally fuck off with the shuttle, and it was deemed a good way to add a little bit of fluff that FLYING SHIP SUPER HARD THING.

Gonna have to correct you on this one which was mainly why I wanted to post here, outside of other servers Pilot was added with Explorer and SAR/Field Medic when the update rolled out with everybody having access to the cockpit. The Explorer's access was limited from the cockpit later on because some players were either trying to solo the expedition or was trolling by making the shuttle inaccessible via fucking off with it to a planet and getting themselves killed. The PR that added the Exploration roles is here: https://github.com/VOREStation/VOREStation/pull/2848

As for the role itself... initially, I felt that a dedicated Pilot role was necessary due to skill set concerns. But, just like being able to operate a car in our time, operating a shuttle would feel more like a skill that many people would end up learning and the role would end up as nothing more than a role bloat. Before April 2020 piloting was pretty easy to do since it relied mostly on 'Autopilot' via selecting a destination and no hazards to maneuver around. Now, there's a reason for the role to exist as autopilot got nerfed when an 'overworld' map with hazards were added and it made the autopilot system unable to determine what is dangerous to fly around. So, players would need to actually man the shuttle or ITV ship to prevent their ride from being damaged by outside forces.

I'm neutral towards the existence of the role itself because while a role dedicated to piloting a shuttle/ship would be seen as a common role a lot of people would be capable of piloting the thing themselves by several decades just like cars. I might just be rambling at this point, but I can't really think of whether or not it should stay mostly because I got a headache as I was typing this and can't think clearly.
Haery70

Previous

Return to General Discussion