Pred-Security Event Discussion. (Why is it the way it is?)

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Pred-Security Event Discussion. (Why is it the way it is?)

Postby H0lySquirr3l » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:22 am

(Preface- This is in no way a rant or complaint thread. As a player, I wanted some clarification. As well as hopefully birthing some good discussion. Instead of trying to decider a long meme filled log of asking in the discords #space-lobby, I decided to just make a thread.)

I will start with a simple question, Why is the predcurity event run the way that it is?

What I understand:
1: It gives security a event outside of just fighting stuff.
2: It is a vore centered event. Highlighting one of the main facets of the fetish, dominant predators.
3: Despite the staffs stance on "No one is forced to play along with a event." I also understand the logic of having only the target group filling command and security roles. It would be very easy for one, or a group, of jerks to grab some specific roles and effectively nullify the event.

What I don't understand:
1: Why is this treated like a massive station wide event when this is a normal scene type players have access to on a regular basis.
"What is the point of giving something that players normally have the ability to do such pomp and circumstance? The two events I was able to watch / be apart of have the brig be removed in some over the top fashion. Why not just have NT say, "Hey security your not meeting your quotas, get to it." Then just heavily suggest that only preds fill the roster for a shift. It just seems weird to me that something like this gets a simi-annual specialized event. When there could easily be a "Pred experiments day" or "Pred cargo appreciation day." that would, I feel, also be viable explorations of the other departments."
2: Why do the regulations have to be so strict?
"The base idea sounds good on paper. "security is given the ability to arrest people for the smallest infraction." But from what I saw, I believe it doesn't fully work in practice. This ridged rule structure births the "Attention seekers." characters who OOC intentions or not... create a unwelcoming atmosphere. With Constant graffiti, as well as leaving trash out and generally being very obnoxious. Having them be so strict, from a non-sec player perspective, just creates a contest to see who can be the first one to get the officer in the rooms attention."
3: Why are the strict regulations announced IC.
"I do somewhat have a idea as to why this is done. Its supposed to be a IC/OOC trigger for the start of the event. But I still don't understand. Wouldn't NT NOT want their other personnel to know that security was going to be super tight on every small letter of the law. Wouldn't NT want everything to look business as usual on the reports to show just how Competent and well oiled they are during standard operations?"

I get some of this event... I was playing my goodie two-shoes scientist character. OOC, it was thrilling to have him walk up to security to deliver some contraband he Accidentally created during R&D. Making it up to the sec lobby and having this massive Shark loom over him. But then the officer just took the contraband and Nathaniel went along his shift. A shift filled with his crew seemingly being filled with a bunch of delinquents who didn't know what a trashcan was and seemed to be a lot ruder then usual. This was the lightbulb moment as to why I made this thread. IC this event just seems very jarring to a character not fully engrossed in the culture of vore.
H0lySquirr3l

Re: Pred-Security Event Discussion. (Why is it the way it is

Postby Haery70 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 pm

I was intending on staying silent for this, but... it doesn't hurt to give out a few things to help you understand.

H0lySquirr3l wrote:1: Why is this treated like a massive station wide event when this is a normal scene type players have access to on a regular basis.
"What is the point of giving something that players normally have the ability to do such pomp and circumstance? The two events I was able to watch / be apart of have the brig be removed in some over the top fashion. Why not just have NT say, "Hey security your not meeting your quotas, get to it." Then just heavily suggest that only preds fill the roster for a shift. It just seems weird to me that something like this gets a simi-annual specialized event. When there could easily be a "Pred experiments day" or "Pred cargo appreciation day." that would, I feel, also be viable explorations of the other departments."

For a while, Predcurity had issues with Sec mains scene-stomping belly-brigging, regardless on as to whether or not they're into vore. While it was announced to be legal in IC, predcurity still had a hard time trying to scene because secmains continued to persecute anybody that's attempted to scene with the prisoners. Even I had this problem when a sec main forced me to regurgitate my prey when I started on my first day as the Warden and told me that they 'Didn't care'. The events were made to encourage belly-brigging so that players can feel more comfortable when they do this in the future.

H0lySquirr3l wrote:2: Why do the regulations have to be so strict?
"The base idea sounds good on paper. "security is given the ability to arrest people for the smallest infraction." But from what I saw, I believe it doesn't fully work in practice. This ridged rule structure births the "Attention seekers." characters who OOC intentions or not... create a unwelcoming atmosphere. With Constant graffiti, as well as leaving trash out and generally being very obnoxious. Having them be so strict, from a non-sec player perspective, just creates a contest to see who can be the first one to get the officer in the rooms attention."

I'm not an expert on this, but I think that's been covered in advance. Players are recommended to not be annoying/disruptive during these times because not all Security players enjoy such things and will have you brigged for real rather than getting belly-brigged. In fact, the last event allowed Predcurity to detain anyone they wanted with any excuse they could make up, so those that pretend to act like little shits for the sake of getting a scene are most likely performing a fruitless endeavor since it's the preds that usually decide on who to eat, not the other way around. One time, when I participated in a Predcurity event as Predcurity, I rejected someone who was acting like a little shit just so that I can eat them while I was busy with two others for 'committing a crime' and made it so obvious that they wanted me to eat them that I passed on their 'offer', so it's not the prey that controls who I eat, I'm the one that makes the decisions.

The bottom line is that Preds are the ones that chooses their prey. If they want to eat someone for legitimately committing a crime, then it's their decision to make.

H0lySquirr3l wrote:3: Why are the strict regulations announced IC.
"I do somewhat have a idea as to why this is done. Its supposed to be a IC/OOC trigger for the start of the event. But I still don't understand. Wouldn't NT NOT want their other personnel to know that security was going to be super tight on every small letter of the law. Wouldn't NT want everything to look business as usual on the reports to show just how Competent and well oiled they are during standard operations?"

It wouldn't have mattered either way because Security's not the only one who won't keep their mouth shut. You got the CD, HoP, CCO, IAA, and anybody that's acquired a Security headset through other means. Someone is going to spill the beans, eventually. And some Security personnel tend to not hide the fact that they're going to do all this shit to the populace, so it ends up entering the ears of the populace, and things would still remain the same.

H0lySquirr3l wrote:I get some of this event... I was playing my goodie two-shoes scientist character. OOC, it was thrilling to have him walk up to security to deliver some contraband he Accidentally created during R&D. Making it up to the sec lobby and having this massive Shark loom over him. But then the officer just took the contraband and Nathaniel went along his shift. A shift filled with his crew seemingly being filled with a bunch of delinquents who didn't know what a trashcan was and seemed to be a lot ruder then usual. This was the lightbulb moment as to why I made this thread. IC this event just seems very jarring to a character not fully engrossed in the culture of vore.

As I've stated before, it's the pred that makes the decision on who to eat, not the prey. As for the other part... that can pretty much be anybody, not just Security. Some players tend to forget or not care about where they throw stuff away. Plus, it doesn't help that most players like to be deadpan snarkers to try to be the highlight of the shift regardless of their role/character, so it wouldn't have mattered either way.

This is pretty much my take on what I think is why the Predcurity event behaves this way, people (especially the Admin responsible for the event), are free to correct me if I have something amiss. But, do note that was the Fourth/Fifth Predcurity event in it's existence, so the events had to have rules established into them in the future after the first go just like any other event that'll likely repeat itself.
Haery70

Return to General Discussion