Shadekin Events! What do you like? What don't you like?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Shadekin Events! What do you like? What don't you like?

Postby Scree » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 pm

That player was told off about the light smashing because fuck's sake we all know it pisses everyone off

People smashing lights indiscriminately if they get given a 'kin are a good way to not be allowed to play a 'kin again. (same with every other event really - if we let you play an event character and you use it just to piss everyone off, we're less likely to consider you for events in the future)
Scree

Postby Knightfall » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:25 pm

I don't care about Shadekin one way or the other, but the people who like them are really getting annoying at times. Yesterday I join and run up into the bar as usual to look for something to do, bar is pitch black and the second anyone turns a light on so they can see more than a meter you get three people screeching to turn it off for the poor Shadekins hanging around it, which inevitably turns into a loud shouting match over comms as people trying to get scenes with the Shadekin screech at people who just want to sit down at the bar, THE MOST POPULAR SPOT TO GO, and talk/drink/find scenes instead of participating in the event.
Knightfall

Postby Heroman3003 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 pm

The big problem that I believe I missed/did not highlight enough earlier is Shadekin Whiteknighting. The usual crowd gathers around newly arrived kin and everyone attempts to do their damndest to please the kin and make sure it doesn't leave. Which includes: keeping lights off, constantly making sure to keep its attention and, one bad and horrible point, throwing out other people that come there with lights and do not have ultra-optimized trait setup with darksight.

The biggest example of the problem is the bar. Its a nexus of people on station, so I get kin wanting to appear there... But kin STAYING there creates a literal war between people wanting to just relax in their usual place without being blind and people obsessed with pleasing shadkin's every possible and impossible whim. Some workplaces fall under that as well, as you can have one person that WANTS a kin and one that DOESN'T in same position, sharing the workspace... and it usually ends with one that doesn't getting simply driven out, because otherwise they just get clawed in the face or be made a worst person ever for driving the kin away.

The whole culture around crowding shadekin and hoping it notices you and eats you is incredibly toxic, just as toxic as blind 'kill all telefluffers' haters. Except their hate is directed towards anyone who is interested in having regular shift, but not interacting with the kin. Once again, the problem stems from way shadekin events happen and shadekin being shifted more from story thing to scene thing would actually solve this, or at very least make it bearable.
Heroman3003

Postby Wickedtemp » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:55 am

The one common theme here I'm noticing is the light issue.

If Shadekin didn't have such bad issues with the lights, they wouldn't break or otherwise mess with them, which is where nearly all of my annoyance stems from. There wouldn't be a reason to keep the bar pitch black, which is a primary reason others are upset.

Iunno, maybe just give them "sensitive to lights, flashes hurt, flashlights kinda hurt, normal lights are annoying but tolerable because I'm an allegedly intelligent species and I'm capable of understanding that I'm in another persons territory and they appear to need light to see. As an allegedly intelligent being capable of heightened empathy, I'm aware messing with the lights makes these other non shadekin upset and irritable, so perhaps I'll tolerate the light instead. Bexause I'm an allegedly intelligent being with heightened empathy."

I feel like it'd fix some of the issues and wouldn't result in any huge change in lore, just their actions ingame.
Wickedtemp

Postby nerdass » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:29 pm

mechanically, being in the light fucks with them.
nerdass

Postby Wickedtemp » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 pm

So make it not as bad
Wickedtemp

Postby TheDavestDave » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:04 pm

I guess I count as a marhater then. Althought most my problems with them are meta problems I guess

They are too snowflakey, both by power and being played. They are seen by crew as doing no wrong and what ever you did they desivered it. But when they do things like car jack the shuttle leaveing you almost stranded. Or instead of smashing the light you replace smash you instead. It paints another picture. I hate the all work stops because everyone goes marr chaseing. I understand sec and science stopping. But the whole station shouldn't be chaseing this. I also dislike that random crew will start turning off all the lights, and it's hard to get sec to stop that. We're not all powergamers that took darksight. Some of us need light to play the game.

They are also played snowflakey. The last event should of been solved by players, not a second marr. When pirates blew up the shuttle from orbit that was a better event. And that was litteraly someone wanting to blow shit up for the lols. Aparantly they dislike light. But when on a fully lit surface they are fine. Aswell as lights they place in the dark are fine. But not on the station. They look to teleport at will and can heal anything. Aswell and turn off lights magicly. In isolateion that's fine. But because they look unstopable as well if you fight them or want them out your workspace.

Everyone also gets defencie when I try to find out if stupid things are canon aswell. Such as the shadekin flying the shuttle and me getting bonkied for saying said shadekin might be human level intligent because another one spoke to me. Or the defualt mob ai being hostile. If both were non canon Roy can go, both shadekin I've met are dicks. Rather than, theese magic fluffers are going to hurt people and people are letting them becuase they are cute.
TheDavestDave

Postby Scree » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I've seen a few people in this thread with complaints that amount to "I don't like them because all the other players want to interact with them"

"All the players want to interact with it" is a pretty asinine thing to complain about when it comes to events. Giving players something to interact with that they want to interact with is pretty much the entire point of events.
Scree

Postby Aces » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm

I concur with Scree.
Aces

Postby Turreus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Scree wrote:I've seen a few people in this thread with complaints that amount to "I don't like them because all the other players want to interact with them"

"All the players want to interact with it" is a pretty asinine thing to complain about when it comes to events. Giving players something to interact with that they want to interact with is pretty much the entire point of events.

I think it's less that they're complaining about other people wanting to interact with them at all, but rather that what they do in the process of trying to interact with Shadekin are making the station a bit less pleasant.

I imagine it's pretty annoying to go what's expected to be a normal shift, and find that the bar (or some other public area meant to be inclusive to the station's crew as a whole) has pretty much been completely shut off to anyone without darksight, all because some people are horny for the teleporting vore-foxes (as heroman has alleged earlier in the thread).

I'm not going to bother weighing in with my whole opinion, so i'm just going to chime in with what I believe to be the bulk of the problem and my offered solution:

At this point, i'd wager it's pretty fair to say that there's two distinct camps when it comes to shadekin; people who want to scene with them, and people who want nothing to do with them. The first group obviously have no problem with their current implementation, but it seems many members of the second have some pretty severe complaints. I think we can make the latter group a bit happier with some small concessions, nothing that would affect the enjoyment for those of us who like having them around:

• Warning to their arrival either prior to the round, or very early on within (heck, maybe put it in the "custom event info" for shadekin rounds). With this in place, players/characters who can't tolerate their presence can either just not join in the round, or clear out without having wasted much time on-station. Heck, the pro-shadekin crowd may even appreciate the change, as they'll have an easier time figuring out whether it's a good idea to hop on.
  • In the event that a shadekin has to be put into the round without warning, simply restrict their presence in areas that are either commonly used by the crew, or otherwise needed for somebody's job. It won't disrupt the interested (who'll undoubtedly follow them wherever they spawn), and those annoyed can go about their shift without being overly-disrupted by their presence.

Does this sound reasonable enough? It's the best I can come up with on short notice.
Turreus

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion