Shadekin Events! What do you like? What don't you like?

A general area for the general things that generally happen in our server.

Re: Shadekin Events! What do you like? What don't you like?

Postby Knightfall » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Scree wrote:A couple of people have raised complaints about the bar in particular, complaining that people are hanging out with the shadekin in the bar, and in all honesty - unless you're the bartender, you have no more right to the bar than any other player. If you go into the bar and want to get mad 'cause a kin's in there and half a dozen people interacting with the 'kin, then I honestly don't think it's reasonable that they should have to leave the bar so you can sit there.

The bar's big enough anyway. Just unplug one light tube in the corner and voila, you've got a dark spot for them to sit. Literally no shadekin require total darkness to maintain their energy. Yellows and purples lose it slowly at over 50% light on a tile, and greens lose it very slowly at over 75% lit. Maybe some instruction to the shadekin players on "hey, you don't need to darken fucking everything, just a small spot to sit in is plenty". For reference, the threshold for xenochimera to hallucinate in the light while feral is 10%. If your room is as well-lit as your average maintenance tunnel while not directly under a light, that's plenty dark enough for 'kin. Hell, oranges require even less light than other shadekin before their passive regen kicks in, and even then I was able to regenerate in the medical breakroom by taking a single light tube out and standing in the corner.

This is not what is going on, and I am getting tired of repeating myself. When I went to the bar, I had zero issues with shadekin and zero issues with people interacting with them. My issue was said people trying to remove ME from the bar, which as you just said I have as much a right to as they do, just because I wasn't interested in the event. I never told them to leave, I never asked them to leave, I did exactly what you suggested in that second paragraph and told them they didn't need the entire bar pitch black, and me having a small area lit wasn't going to hurt anything. They suggested I go drink at the CentCom bar, aka leave the round. It is not the shadekin players that are the problem, it's the people trying to get a scene with them.
Knightfall

Postby warbrand2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:35 am

Yeah, I was only there for the first event, but well. I couldn't do my job during that event even if I wanted to as every time I turned on the lights in my area someone turned them off then yelled at me for turning them on. that was just the first event, And while I was a xenobiologist I felt forced to interact with the event instead of doing my job because well people where not allowing me to do my job.

the events are not a problem, it is other players.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Postby Neopatra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 pm

The concept of them could have worked out very well but I feel like at this point their reputation from many perspectives and for many guilty and innocent reasons has really just turned them into a problem that will usually be seen as exactly that. Even if it is the other players interacting with them that's causing half the problems, now every time a shadekin is seen people in security and engineering and service (like the bar) have to get ready to deal with all their shit, not even just what the shadekin does but what other players are going to do because of it. They've really kinda started off by falling face first off a cliff, and if they want to be viable and entertaining again we just about need to drag them all the way back up and start them back at 0.

Also still saying Red Eyed shadekin are a terrible idea and adding super overpowered enemies to be dangerous antagonists, to the point where an entire armed security department can't deal with it, seems like a terrible, terrible idea. I could think of ways where they would actually be really cool even with the amount of power they have, but going around eating the engine and murdering people is most certainly not on that list.

For example, they could have "invaded" via maintenance tunnels and gone sneaking around, stealing crew members and eating them, slowly depleting the station's crew levels, occasionally going after a lone doctor or cargo tech or scientist off working by themselves. Them phasing through walls and being hard to actually find would make them a REALLY cool antagonist. But running out in the open with them and being a noticeable and public problem and confronting people just... that's substantially more annoying than it is entertaining.

Now that I think about it what I just described was basically the plot of Alien. It'd still be cool though.
Neopatra

Postby warbrand2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 am

looking over the posts here. I know I am a nobody but hear me out, I think I have an idea.

The problem with shadekin is they are well cool, they are just to good for what they are and everyone wants to interact with them making them well a pain to the few people that just want to do their job or play their scenes. By default this is hard to deal with as this is a case of being to popular to be viable which is a huge problem in RP areas. Having seen a player in one game quite because of the demand on them.

Generally the best way I have seen for the to popular to be viable delt with is to make it more mundane. And this is the point that things might sound crazy.

The suggestion I have would be to do two things, one add a slot where two people can play whitelisted shadekin on any given round, having them around more will dull the impact, giving said shadekin a job in the station would help as well, do to their abilities I think they would be good for exploration teams with a dark suit sort of as healers. This would give players a way to interact with them on a normal dulling the bigger events a bit so that they are not an every man for himself trying to get a scene.

Second I would suggest adding a single NPC one that wonders the maintenance halls, likely with an AI to try and nom people that get to close, this would also help to dull things out, and could be something for security to deal with if found, reports on the (eyecolored) one that keeps invading the maintence sec goes and deals with it as a minor event, it may not spawn in a shift.

the big problem that I can see from reading this, is people seem to go overboard, and adding a more mundane side might help to mitigate that, because the more something is around the less people go overboard when reacting to it. That said, I know this will likely not happen as it would require a rework of the creature to fit it being a whitelisted alien, as well as creation of gear for it. That said it would take only a few events to set this up. Bellow are ideas for that.

event one: diplomatics, event has a translator being shipped to the station during and event, and the crew being instructed to try and talk to the shadekin, this would allow for more explanation of their mechanics to the players onboard and a better understanding of them which will spread. (needs to show they do not need the hole damn station to be pitch black only small areas.) From this event diplomatic talks will be scheduled for the next one.

event two: diplomatic talks, this event has the station being told to make the station feel like home for the shadekin. All workers are to keep to their jobs and the bar and sec must be kept lit incase of a code red event. (to prevent standard stupid.) During this event a few players and a few shade kin would talk around a negotiation table, while both an NT moll and a shadekin do things to sabatage the talks in other parts both requiring a defferent tactic to deal with. the shadekin being more playful while the NT moll being more trying to do something bad. The shadekin running from sec if they see them meaning that only none sec players can deal with while the moll will fight.

event three: first shift, a coms call comes in stating that it will be the first shift inwhich a shadekin is allowed on station willingly, said shadekin will be known to the crew and will the crew is tasked with finding a job that works for it, with the goal being to just find a job that fits for the player of the shadekin(which would likely know which one it will be before hand.)

From this point on it would be slow with one allowed per shift on a few monitored shifts, once people are useto it the whitelist opens up and the slots are upped to two, of course the player ones would have their abilities tempered a something that was talked about in event two, with the shadekin being restricted in what they are allowed to do from then(just an IC way to explain the player ones not having the abilities of the event ones).

AFter this, the event ones can appear as rogues in other events or just them being there on their days off as events. This would allow things to be tempered through time, the intro of course would have everyone wanting to play with them, but as they become a common sight well the events would end up being less ME ME ME, and more restrained.... that is if everything goes right. I am not a good judge of people so I don't know if that would happen.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Previous

Return to General Discussion