Why do I post ideas?

Post stupid threads, fight about politics, discuss philosophy, laugh at dank memes, complain about Net Neutrality being violated (again), just talk about whatever silly or serious nonsense you want.
Forum rules
Some of this forum is silly, some is serious. Don't be that guy who comes in and derails a calm political discussion with a bunch of stupid memes, and don't be that guy who tries to make a serious discussion where one doesn't exist. Also, if you post something deemed inflammatory and offensive, we're going to remove it.

Why do I post ideas?

Postby warbrand2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:05 pm

I am seriously asking my self this... why do I think about things then post them? I ask this cause I never or rarely get feedback on the ideas no one tells me if they are good or bad infact most just out right ignore them.

I know I think to much and I have a tendency to over complicate things, but still even the most complex ideas I Have posted started simple and can be re simplified but I am never told what is wrong with the ideas or why they would be bad or even if they are bad most just get posted... get viewed then ignored.

Example recently I went a little overboard with a xenomorph idea... ok way overboard but I did this only cause after posting the initial idea it seemed to be like so took it as my excuse to start learning how to work the .dmi files for ss13. yet even after posting a few mock ups I got no info on the idea nothing, like it was just to be ignored.... this should have been my sign to give up and stop, but for some damn reason I felt that if I continued can got all the none coding stuff done for the idea it might stand a chance.

Well something tells me that this would not be the case.... hell the idea was overthought out and I should know by now that even my best ideas are crap. hell I have worked with enough devs to know that. Yet I still try.

bleh sorry for the depressive post just a question I Have to ask, why do I keep trying, and should I keep trying?
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Re: Why do I post ideas?

Postby orbisa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:16 pm

You have some good core ideas, but as you also noted you seem to overcomplicate things, exposing a fresh idea too soon and not letting it grow, it doesn't help that some of the ideas you proposed looked to me like, well, daunting to code, not really want to touch the topic too much becouse you have a lot hype, and that's good and all, but, at least in my case I have a limited time I can divert toward coding and I already took as many proyects as I feel comfortable tackling for Virgo.

I could suggest you try your hand at coding, since you already solved the dmi files, that way you can at least figure out the limits of the ideas you propose, and better ways to think them on.

Hope this feedback helps, thanks for giving some of your time!
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby warbrand2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 am

I have tried coding a few times in the past.... problem is I get overwelmed easily it would take some one directly showing me the ropes for me to understand the basics past that though I might figure it out.

Also on the over complexity part, I know I over do it but my way of thinking is just do as much detail as possible then cut out the fat until it is in a workable state.

take the xenoqueen concept, I know most of it would be impossible or just a pain to code. But I also know an easy work around would be for atleast in the short term to modify the slime code and splice in bits of the xeno queen code. hence why I made the egg sprites. if it is just a heavily modified slime which vores creatures instead of glomping them there is atleast a chance for it... hell its vore function could just be a modified version of the slime glomp with the preys sprite removed durring it.

the biggest part of that idea though it the eggs and the unbirth feature of the queen. the eggs can be laid similar to how a slime chooses to divide, the unbirth feature though that is the hard part as it needs a way for the xeno to have a high like of the biologist to happen.

I can work on simplifying the idea as needed but no one ever tells me what needs to be changed or they do in a vague way that I do not catch.

On another idea of mine, the hacking of PDA's I would think that would be a simple thing though I don't know and well no feedback at all for that so yeah.

ugh, think I just went overboard with the ideas I can do work on and lost it.... I try to do as much as I can to make my ideas a reality, sadly this leads to overthinking and even worse no one ever freaking tells me what I am doing wrong.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby orbisa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:33 am

In coding, best I can advice you is to start with small things, coding is about knowing what you want and decomposing it on very simple, tiny little steps.

On the xenomorph bit, I will be honest, I don't see the appeal in it. Maybe some others will like it but to me you are propposing, through a very detailed and explained idea, a mechanical way to enjoy what I think should be.. Roleplayed. Take runtime for example, I don't see much appeal in it as a micro unless, let's say, I was shrinked by Kerena playing around with a shrink ray and we had to suddenly escape fromt he beast, following other shenanigans, or having Rosey dangle me over runtime as a threath so I deliver her the keys to a mech.

The key here is player interaction, of course, it's sometimes better to have things that actually help the interaction, but, that mode is to broad and some people aren't just into UB, or OV, or wharever, you can actually escape runtime if you really don't like it, you can looc with players, but mobs like these, and with that masive ammount of coding time? I see it hard to make it fly, not impossible, becouse, we did get many things already, is just that this feature you are proposing would be at the cost of many others, that pershaps improve more to roleplaying and are more versatile to the game.

More clothes for example, or additional hair styles, demi races, etc.

On the Pda hacking system, you are adding traitor mode content, wich to be fair, knowing we play mostly on extended, it's not that needed, unless there is an event or something... and it's again, a time consuming proyect the one you are proposing, very time consuming, new items, new interactions, explosion, tracking, and access interactions, wich can be tricky on certain things, this one might fly on the other server though, the one were they use the traitor mode and it's more mechanical oriented, but here, we still have the same problem, limited time to code, limited application of your proyects, ways to do those in game already...

entry to doors? hack the door, use signalers if you want. Follow target? gps on his backpack or coat. explosion? this could get you banned, but, you can do it, signaler and grenade. Hell, want to do those from your pda, use a signaler cartridge.

Now, I am not an admin, not part of Virgo Staff, just a guy who knows his way around code, and do it for a living. Just giving some advice from the dev side of things.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby warbrand2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:58 pm

ok yeah the PDA idea is crap :(

on the xeno topic the problem is that will be the problem with ALL vore mobs, and I mean all of them. the xeno queen idea is a controlled sample and they way I am trying to write it up it is meant to be a MOB with possibly a whitelist for people to play as it... aka can be played as but is generally a mob. sort of like the dog on some servers.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby orbisa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Start with smaller ideas, it will give you confidence.

You already seem to have gotten the idea behind dmi files, why don't you try to make clothes?
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby warbrand2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:13 pm

no clue what to do with cloths... never been good at stuff like that. I could make things like a dice pack (4 sided die and stuff)

never could do cloths... hell if my characters could get away with it they would....

hmm maybe I should try making pantless versions of some of the cloths, just for the hell of it.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby Scree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:14 pm

More dice than a D6/20 would be good.

(Give D4s the same thing as glass shards if you walk over them barefoot. Fuckin' nerd caltrops)
Scree

Postby warbrand2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:30 pm

yeah will make a d4 and probibly a D8

and I can't sprite dice.... of course I can edit a hole xenomorph but I can't figure out how to make a freaking d4... :(
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby orbisa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Tg has the sprites
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Next

Return to Off Topic