Lore suggestion thread: creature lores

Discuss the details surrounding the station's lore and how things work in the universe. What is Redspace? Why does Phoron kill you? Why does Nanotrasen have a station where people eat each other? Are there any neat colonies or factions worth mentioning? Pitch your ideas and get feedback!
Forum rules
Official changes to the lore should only be made after a nearly unanimous decision that something was a good idea. No one is going to be happy if you force a lousy special snowflake storyline into the main lore SO DON'T FEKIN' DO THAT. Also if you can't take (or give) constructive criticism, don't post here.

Lore suggestion thread: creature lores

Postby warbrand2 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:05 pm

yeah likely a bad idea for me to make this topic as my ideas are not the best, but they can work as a good base and can be molded down to a workable idea.

lets get to the basic idea for this topic, this topic is for generic to slightly special (no snowflake but can have some either RP special traits or minor mechanic ones)

my contribution the kitsune race

Kitsune aka multi tailed fox

basic info: kitsunes hail from a small moon in a classified area of the vergo sector. not much is known about their culture except it seems to mirror early to modern Japanese culture, in many ways.

biology: kitsunes are a unique anthropomorphic fox species which can breed with any other anthro species out there. Because of this kitsunes vary greatly in look, and abilities but in this write up will focuses on the moon native species.

height: the average kitsune is between 6 inches and 9 feet in height this large variation of height this variation is caused by many things from environment to a bizarre and rare biological adaptation that allows a kitsune to change their size at will though with a huge cost to the kitsune that being that will be tired or extremely hungry on size change see rare traits bellow. though if one where to take out the strange effects the average kitsune is 6 feet tall give or take a foot.

tails: kitsunes main feature is the fact that they have a minimum of 2 tails and a max of 9 it is said that a nine tailed kitsune is one of great power in their culture... the V.O.R.E station has observed that a kitsune only gains this "power" by consuming lesser kitsunes or creatures as most do not have the desire for the power this is rare among the culture as a hole.

nine tail warning: all nine tails are great leaders and have vast power, weather that power is the ability to use a sword or gun with great skill or just being a really good cook it doesn't mater though they all seem to have a slight ego when hitting the rank of 9 tails. another thing noted about 9 tailed kitsunes is they seem to have a near infinite life spam with the oldest ones having memory of 16th century earth do to a recon mission in their past.

age and beauty: kitsunes also have a unique aging process that being that many visually stop aging between 20 and 30 years of age though some have been seen to look way older then that. many scientists believe that a kitsune only starts to look older then 30 when they want to age and that their biology allows this... blood samples have been taken for NT to make anti aging creams with.

as for beauty kitsunes rank it in two ways either by the standard one or by the tails with a 3 tail even an ugly one being considered more beautiful then a 2 tail.

hybrids: a slightly common thing to see with kitsunes is hybrids as they seem to be able to mate with any mammalian creature in existence with biology remotely like theirs. though their are two major versions of the hybrids human and k9. The human kitsune hybrid is the most common and only has three visual traits of their kitsune linage the traits being ears, eyes and tails. K9 hybrids on the other hand look almost exactly like their standard variant though the difference is in eyes and fur color, for example a grey wolf anthro and a kitsune will result in a grey furred kitsune.

culture: this is a tricky subject as NT staff are rarely allowed on the kitsunes home moon or their embassies do to a classified event involving a fox and pun pun. what is known is that their culture is similar to that of 20th century japan though with a notable difference kitsunes seem to see all life as having a purpose and have been known to go to war cause of senseless death, that being said the purpose of a life may simply be in their eyes to feed them. kitsune cultures have even been known to "tame" a xeno nest by keeping it supplied with willing victims in exchange for the corpse of dead xenos and the hatched remains of the eggs.

exports by culture: xeno chitin, industrial and military grade acids, rice, katana's, plasma katana's, laser katana's, chitin armor, battle xenos [classified], blood samples, sake, double distiled sake [has been shown to knock out a full grown dragon]

rare biological traits

none applicable though some have unique traits none of them have been studied.

special note: this is only one race of kitsune creatures out there while. This is not even the main race of kitsunes but an off shot seperated by culture for hundreds of years... in the case of study it is thought that there are many kitsune races out there and info about all is scarce.
Last edited by warbrand2 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Re: Lore suggestion thread: creature lores

Postby Scree » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Gotta be said that I'm not keen on the suggestion of "this is how kitsune are" - we don't wanna be forcing everyone who wants to play a kitsune to abide by this one thing as though that's the official lore for them. Lots of people have their own interpretations for kitsune or kitsune-like species, along with all the other species that people have made up for play on the station, and they're no less valid.

Giving them special powers isn't really a thing we wanna endorse either. Even with caveats like "not all of them show this" or "not everyone is susceptible", this ain't a game about magical creatures and unfortunately, in games like this, if you put the suggestion out there that the character might be able to do supernatural stuff, people will start bolting it onto their characters without properly thinking through whether such powers/abilities actually add to the character in any way.

As a general guide, going into too much detail will often end up hampering people's ability to make characters - we want the lore pages to inspire people to make things that fit within it and build upon it, without shutting out anyone with a perfectly valid character concept.

If people want to go into incredibly specific detail about a race of their own creation or something, that's another matter - I've got a whole bunch of fluff written down for xenochimera (mostly for other settings, but adaptable to this one) that I'd want folks to take into consideration when making one as a character, but for something as ubiquitous in pop culture as a kitsune, it's better for folks to have their options open.
Scree

Postby warbrand2 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:23 pm

yeah my idea is basicly crap... but it is an example of a high detail one.... will remove the might have traits from them though as you are right to many people will read something like that and go... yep I can do ALL THE THINGS.. even if it shouldn't or makes no sense.
I think to much.

warbrand2

Postby warbrand2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Got another race idea

xenomorph race #100A31

info: an NT made race of xeno morphs which are almost identical to the normal wild creature the differences being they are capable of speech and have intelligence of the average 20 to 30 year old human.

notes: this is basically a tamer version of the xenomorph the biggest difference being that the race is all drones while they are primarily female or herms male ones do exist. they are identifiable by their "Exotic colorings" and the fact they are not trying to rip you to shreds all the time.

unique trait of race: can go through vents or disposal wiht out harm also acid blood.
down side of race: can not use hard suits, exo suits, or mechs... or use any cloths becides specially made work suits that have only a few pockets. (must use backpacks)
I think to much.

warbrand2

Return to (OOC) Fluff/Lore Discussion